Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Dungeons & Dragons 2 (or is that D&D second edition?)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 04-12-04, 10:58 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From Bad Movies dot net:

DUNGEONS & DRAGONS 2! No, this is not a cruel joke. God, I wish it was. Variety has reported that a sequel is indeed in the works. Joel Silver’s production company is co-producing and Warner Brothers has already picked up distribution rights. Gerry Lively has been tapped to direct. Mr. Lively has directed a couple of little known movies but is mostly known for being a cinematographer who worked on almost all of Anthony Hickox’s movies from the early 90’s so he’s more than qualified to helm this sequel nobody wants. I wouldn’t expect any of the original cast members to return to the sequel unless Jeremy Irons needs money to renovate his castle again.
I expect that this tidbit will get a lot of mocking - but hell, I'm looking foward to it. The first one was bad, cheesy, over acted, over the top . . . . and a hell of a lot of fun. It falls squarely in the "Good Bad Movie" catagory in my book.
Old 04-12-04, 11:00 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I believe I'll SHORT this one.
Old 04-12-04, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I want Marlon Wayans!
Old 04-12-04, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shouldn't they call this one ADVANCE D&D ?
Old 04-12-04, 11:55 PM
Suspended

That's it! Turn in your geek card, youre out of the club. Everybody knows that Advanced D&D was the third edition of the game, and thus should be saved for the third movie.
Old 04-12-04, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well the only way they can ever get it right is if they keep trying . . . let's hope this is the one.

Perhaps a tad optimistic, but . . .

Edit: Since this thread will attract all the D&D folk, I gotta share my favorite gaming related video clip . . . too close to real life -----> Summoner Geeks

Last edited by talemyn; 04-13-04 at 12:02 AM.
Old 04-13-04, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, after the huge success of the first one you knew it was coming. You gotta love how Hollywood likes to make sequels of some of it's biggest hits (The Whole Ten Yards also comes to mind). Boy, I know the sequel to the megahit It's Pat is coming soon...
Old 04-13-04, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
I did a blind buy on the first one (Hey, it's D&D, fantasy, and it's got dragons so it can't be all that bad). I will admit I had my crow served with a nice side salad that day.
Old 04-13-04, 09:32 AM

Received 770 Likes on 503 Posts
Originally posted by fumanstan
I want Marlon Wayans!
That was one of the funniest moments in cinema history!

Kill a character, toss 'em of a cliff, then forget about 'em, never mentioning 'em again in the rest of the movie.

Classic!
Old 04-13-04, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Didn't all the protagonist characters turn into glowing beams of light at the end of movie?
Old 04-13-04, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts
If they made a D&D movie based on the "Dragonlance" books (particularly the "Twins" trilogy), then I'd be interested.
Old 04-13-04, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,387 Likes on 1,018 Posts
Originally posted by El-Kabong
That's it! Turn in your geek card, youre out of the club. Everybody knows that Advanced D&D was the third edition of the game, and thus should be saved for the third movie.

I don't even play D&D (M:TG for me), and I know Advanced was 2.0. Version 3.0 was just released in the last few years, followed quickly by 3.5.

I only know this because the company that makes Magic the Gathering also owns D&D.
Old 04-13-04, 03:09 PM
Suspended

I think they'll do it right this time around. Why do I think so? Just for an example.. look at the first Star Trek movie.. the motion picture. It sucked! And then when they made the second movie.. omg.. that was the best. Even now I still think it holds to be one of the best of the Star Trek movies.. but anyways, I digress.

D&D 2 will be a big hit in my opinion. Afterall, D&D has been around for over 30 years and still going on. I know they will continue to make more D&D movies and hopefully one of these movies will get an Academy award much the same way the LOTR movies did.

That's my two cents on this topic.

BTW, Advanced D&D was not initially introduced in 2nd edition. If I remember 1st edition had both Basic and Advanced introduced.

Last edited by Regurgitator; 04-13-04 at 03:15 PM.
Old 04-13-04, 04:31 PM

Maybe I'm in the minority but I thought the first movie was fun. Not bad special effects. Great dragon battle scenes. I can also see how they tried to have different characters like in a video game. Thief, mage, dwarf, etc. And different creatures. Like the eyeball one. Reminds me of a D&D type of video game. Or the "cameo" creatures in the tavern.
Old 04-13-04, 11:48 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by milo bloom
I don't even play D&D (M:TG for me), and I know Advanced was 2.0. Version 3.0 was just released in the last few years, followed quickly by 3.5.

I only know this because the company that makes Magic the Gathering also owns D&D.
Wait a second - I thought AD&D was the third re-working of the rules, making it the third edition - in principal, if not by name. The Third Edition was the fourth retooling of the rules.

***edit*** But hold the phone - I found this Second Edition AD&D rule book - which means that theres 3 editions of D&D and at least 2 editions of AD&D? So there's FIVE versions of the game?!?

Oh - now I'm confused.

Last edited by El-Kabong; 04-13-04 at 11:51 PM.
Old 04-14-04, 05:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't quote me as I haven't really followed it but I believe under TSR there was the basic set, the expert set and the Advanced D&D books. When WotC picked them up the basic and expert sets were dropped and a new set of books was printed, being the 2nd ed AD&D. Things quited down for awhile and then in the last couple of years WotC decided to do a complete reworking on the rules and thus the 3rd ed AD&D was born (which is the current).
Old 04-14-04, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay, a little D&D history lesson for all of you. (puts on ubergeek helm of dorkiness +3)

Chainmail was a fantasy wargame created in 1969. At the time wargames(stuff like Risk, Axis & Allies, etc) were very popular, and Chainmail was a LotR inspired fantasy wargame. Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson wrote a supplement to Chainmail that allowed it to be used as a roleplaying game. Specifically, they invented the concept of level based character advancement. They evolved this into the original D&D set which was sold in 1974, published by their joint company Tactical Studies Rules(TSR).

A few years later came Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, with more complicated rules. A few years after that saw the second edition of AD&D. In the early to mid 1990s TSR overflooded the market with books and started to lose money. They put out players option books that reworked the mechanics of the game and a revised second edition, neither of which brought TSR out of dire financial straights. The success of other RPGs such as Vampire the Masquerade, Rifts, Gurps, etc also detracted from TSRs business.

The company was sold to Wizards of the Coast(which is famous for the card games Magic the Gathering and Pokemon) which did a new edition of the game. Dropping the Advanced, it was now called Third Edition Dungeons and Dragons. The revision for this just came out last year and 3.5 is the current edition of D&D. WotC is now owned by Hasbro. With 3.0, WotC also opened up the core mechanics of the D&D game as open source, so that other companies can sell D&D compatible game materials, which was probably the best thing to happen to RPGs in the past decade. Most of the creators of 3.0 D&D now own their own companies that produce d20 materials(d20 is the name of the open source game mechanics system).

[takes off geekcap]

I hated HATED the D&D movie. I would much rather see a trilogy based on the Dragonlance Trilogy and/or redoing the D&D cartoon in the 80s. Hasbro is famous for making cartoons that sell action figures(GI Joe, Transformers) and I think they could do very well with a D&D cartoon series and action figures especially in the wake of the LotR films.

Last edited by Amator; 04-14-04 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-14-04, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Amator
Chainmail was a fantasy wargame created in 1969. At the time wargames(stuff like Risk, Axis & Allies, etc) were very popular, and Chainmail was a LotR inspired fantasy wargame. Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson wrote a supplement to Chainmail that allowed it to be used as a roleplaying game. Specifically, they invented the concept of level based character advancement. They evolved this into the original D&D set which was sold in 1974, published by their joint company Tactical Studies Rules(TSR).

A few years later came Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, with more complicated rules. A few years after that saw the second edition of AD&D. In the early to mid 1990s TSR overflooded the market with books and started to lose money. They put out players option books that reworked the mechanics of the game and a revised second edition, neither of which brought TSR out of dire financial straights. The success of other RPGs such as Vampire the Masquerade, Rifts, Gurps, etc also detracted from TSRs business.

The company was sold to Wizards of the Coast(which is famous for the card games Magic the Gathering and Pokemon) which did a new edition of the game. Dropping the Advanced, it was now called Third Edition Dungeons and Dragons. The revision for this just came out last year and 3.5 is the current edition of D&D. WotC is now owned by Hasbro. With 3.0, WotC also opened up the core mechanics of the D&D game as open source, so that other companies can sell D&D compatible game materials, which was probably the best thing to happen to RPGs in the past decade. Most of the creators of 3.0 D&D now own their own companies that produce d20 materials(d20 is the name of the open source game mechanics system).
I have a new hero . . . that was beautiful . . .
Originally posted by Amator
I hated HATED the D&D movie. I would much rather see a trilogy based on the Dragonlance Trilogy and/or redoing the D&D cartoon in the 80s. Hasbro is famous for making cartoons that sell action figures(GI Joe, Transformers) and I think they could do very well with a D&D cartoon series and action figures especially in the wake of the LotR films.
Along those lines, has anyone checked out Scourge Of Worlds yet?

It is supposed to be along the lines of the old D&D "Choose Your Own Adventure" books. It touts "990+" different story variations. I've seen it in my local Wal*Mart, but I am hesitant to pick it up, given the ever-so-many ways that this could be screwed up.
Old 04-14-04, 03:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Along those lines, has anyone checked out Scourge Of Worlds yet?
I did... I didn't find it that interesting. I guess it's ok once (or once in awhile) but after spending maybe an hour on it working through some of the scenarios I got kind of bored w/ it quite frankly.
Old 04-14-04, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by talemyn
I have a new hero . . . that was beautiful . . .
Thanks...D&D geek since 1993. Although sometimes I think the RPGA should be changed from the Roleplaying Gamer's Association to Roleplaying Gamers Anonymous.

I guess I spend too much time at the Wizards of the Coast boards
Old 04-15-04, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Don't forget about Tunnels and Trolls....they had a nice set of solo adventures.

Last edited by covenant; 04-15-04 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-15-04, 01:32 PM
Banned

I vaguely rememebr the D&D movie one of the Wayans was in it I think.
Old 04-17-04, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 04-17-04, 12:56 PM

Wow, D&D now that's something I haven't heard in a while. I played it from 1979 to 1984. I believe that I still have the blue box and manual that came with the original basic set stored away somewhere along with a multitude of the modules, handbooks, Dragon magazines. I thought AD&D was just the shit when it first came out. Went to GenCon... played alot of knock-offs.. Gamma World, Thieves Guild, Top Secret, etc.... I was the super-geek during that time.... hahaha

Do people actually still play it. I remember back in the day when I played it was actually pretty popular and alot of kids played it.

Sorry to join the tangent here but you made me reminisce...
Old 04-18-04, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by SilverScreen
Do people actually still play it. I remember back in the day when I played it was actually pretty popular and alot of kids played it.
I played in the early 80's and my 10-year-old nephew showed some interest in it for about a year (I got him some dungeon modules and a lot of the original AD&D books two Christmas' ago), but he just couldn't find enough friends who were interested . . . I guess it's too slow paced for the video game generation . . . too bad.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.