Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movie Challenge Week 6: Unfamiliar Genres

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movie Challenge Week 6: Unfamiliar Genres

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-04, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,465 Likes on 932 Posts
It's no fun if it's too easy.

I'm going to head down to Hollywood Video to see if they have the musical "Singing in the Rain." Or maybe the romantic comedy "It Happened One Night."

There's also Busby Berkley, Fred & Ginger, Tracey-Hepburn, and opera. There are lots of good movies in genre's I don't usually watch. So I'm going to use this challenge to watch one of them.
Old 04-14-04, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
im gonna tackle either singin in the rain or touch of evil
Old 04-14-04, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My least favorite/most unfamiliar genre is Horror. I wanted to watch Stanly Kubrick's: The Shining, but my girlfriend wanted to watch Darkness Falls. Now she regrets making that decision, and so do I. On the cover of the DVD it quotes someone saying that it's better than The Ring, but I actually enjoyed The Ring.

Overall Darkness Falls gets a thumbs down from me. Skip it.
Old 04-15-04, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

hey watch the shining anyways.
Old 04-15-04, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by karnblack
My least favorite/most unfamiliar genre is Horror. I wanted to watch Stanly Kubrick's: The Shining, but my girlfriend wanted to watch Darkness Falls. Now she regrets making that decision, and so do I. On the cover of the DVD it quotes someone saying that it's better than The Ring, but I actually enjoyed The Ring.

Overall Darkness Falls gets a thumbs down from me. Skip it.
Originally posted by Rypro 525
hey watch the shining anyways.
Oh man! Thank you both! I was really struggling with what to do with this weeks challenge. Horror is probably my least favorite genre and so I wanted to hit that, but I really didn't want to go out and buy or rent a movie that I might not like when I have so many that I own (and a lot that I haven't watched). But, I do own The Shining from the Kubrick Collection and I haven't watched it yet!

Perfect!!
Old 04-15-04, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Is Martial Arts/Kung Fu considered a genre? And if so, does Kill Bill fall into it?
Old 04-15-04, 09:38 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
i'll watch some Snuff for the team
Old 04-15-04, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Quake1028
Is Martial Arts/Kung Fu considered a genre? And if so, does Kill Bill fall into it?
sure why wouldn't it be. as long as you aren't familiar to the genere, its fine.
Old 04-18-04, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
Happiness of the Katakuris (2001 Japan)

Unfamiliar Genre: Foreign Language Musical

Sub-Genres: Horror, Comedy

Director: Takashi Miike (Audition, Ichi the Killer, Visitor Q)

A middle-aged Japanese man loses his job he uses his life savings to buy a remote country inn and takes his wife, father, son, daughter and grand-daughter to live there and help him run the business. Unfortunately, business is worse than slow as they wait for a new highway to be constucted through the area. When their first guest finally arrives on a dark and stormy night, the family does everything to make him comfortable. Tragically the guest dies during the night and fearing bad publicity, the family buries him in a nearby field. This is only the beginning as guest after guest all die while staying at the hotel.

This dark comedy is made even more absurd by having the cast break out into song and dance routines at the least appropriate moments and forcing them to dig up the bodies when they find out that the new road may come to close to their secret graveyard.

This is the fourth Takashi Miike movie I've seen and it just might be the best, I know I am looking forward to watching it again. I had extremely mixed feelings about the other three. I thought Audition was very good, but I felt Visitor Q was pure garbage and Ichi the Killer fits somewhere in between.
Old 04-19-04, 12:11 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I watched Nanook of the North and since I've never seen a feature length silent documentary, it should fit this week's challenge nicely.

I thought the film was very good and while I do know that some of the sequences are staged, I thought it captured the spirit of the documentary, while telling a cohesive story with a main character and his family.

I'm also in the midst of watching The English Patient which I guess belongs in the 'epic romance' genre. I can't think of any other films in that genre - which is probably just as well. I'm about half way through and so far its actually decent probably just because of the flashbacks, otherwise it would have been more tiresome.

Last edited by MrN; 04-19-04 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-19-04, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,465 Likes on 932 Posts
I watched Singing in the Rain today. It was great!

The plot was fun, the dance numbers were spectacular, and acting was enjoyable.

It's the first month of talking pictures. Not everyone has a suitable voice for talkies. People scramble to adjust, and hijinks ensue. In the mean time, big-time movie star Gene Kelly falls in love with the unknown Debbie Reynolds. Gene has a posse of one, Donald O'Connor, who keeps stealing the movie from under the romantic leads.

I've seen a lot of the dance numbers before on documentaries on the history of movies, like That's Entertainment. They were much better in context. And there was a wonderful surreal dance scene towards the end which I've never seen before, Gotta Dance.

Despite my having a headache, the movie had me smiling all the way through. It's definitely on my To Buy list.
Old 04-19-04, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My unfamiliar genre was drama and I watched Schindler's List. I was pleasently surprised to find out that the movie wasn't a typical "Jews hiding from NAZIs" Holocaust movie. The story seems kind of far fetched until you realize that it was based on real events and people. I'll definately be picking this one up to own.
Old 04-20-04, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
Are we going to have a challenge for week 7?
Old 04-20-04, 01:52 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
can I merge challenges, I am finding less time to watch movies on video?

Been thinking of watching "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly" which would comprise of IMDB's list and unfamiliar genres into one.
Old 04-20-04, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I finally caught up with the week 5 challenge. I think I'll explore Italian Neo-Realism for this one. Seen some of the fringe of this genre (Visconti and such), but not the core works like some of Vittorio DeSica's stuff.
Old 04-21-04, 12:35 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Damfino
Are we going to have a challenge for week 7?
I was going to take a week off, but somebody stepped up to the plate for me.
Old 05-31-04, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I went ahead and watched Cop Land for this challenge. I am not a real big watcher of police dramas, but I thought this was excellent. Stallone gives an outstanding performance, probably second only to Rocky for his career. Dark, gritty, exhausting. Great film.
Old 06-03-04, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
I finally watched Silence of the Lambs (I guess the genre would be Psychological Thriller or something.)

I found the film to be well-crafted, although disturbing. This was my first exposure to the Hannibal Lecter universe, and I think I will get around to watching Manhunter one of these days.