Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What's worse?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-04, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What's worse?

Movies that try to be serious and come off being horribly pretentious or movies that you pretty much know aren't gonna be great but still turn out to be ok (action, comedy). I think the serious movies that turn out to be totally crap is worse even though those movies will find its faithful critics. What do you think?
Old 04-11-04, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Probably a serious movie that ends up pretenious because well, pretenious movies are annoying and worthy of much scorn. So if it's a scale it starts out potentially good but its dragged down to slightly below average or worse.

Crappy looking action/comedies that turn out decent on the otherhand, start out low on the scale and bring it back to slightly above average. Usually a movie good enough for "watch once and forget about it".

Last edited by TopHatCat64; 04-11-04 at 09:44 PM.
Old 04-11-04, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Another vote for the crappy-looking movie that turns out ok.
Old 04-12-04, 11:56 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The crappy-looking movie that turns out decent, simply because there are so f***** many of those. At least movies that strive to be about something are trying. Usually they get shot down initially, especially by most moviegoers in this country who eat up fast-food, forgettable movies in droves, but then sometimes they get a strong following of ardent fans, cult-status( ie. Blade Runner, The Thin Red Line.
Old 04-12-04, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Somebody must've just seen Matrix Reloaded.

I loathe movies and other forms of entertainment media that are pretentious. Crappy/OK movies are easy enough to filter and/or forget.. but pretentious movies tend to have this rabid following of 15 year olds trying to analyze pre-teen nonsensical stringing together of intellectual words as meaningful philosophy. Not only does having this banter passed to me as sophisticated dialogue bother me, but seeing so many people actually believe it is sophisticated dialogue boils me good.

Of course, almost all analytical discussion or deciphering of symbolism in entertainment mediums aggravates me. All it takes is a BS in BS and you're all of a sudden an elegant intellectual.
Old 04-12-04, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by PixyJunket
Somebody must've just seen Matrix Reloaded.

I loathe movies and other forms of entertainment media that are pretentious. Crappy/OK movies are easy enough to filter and/or forget.. but pretentious movies tend to have this rabid following of 15 year olds trying to analyze pre-teen nonsensical stringing together of intellectual words as meaningful philosophy. Not only does having this banter passed to me as sophisticated dialogue bother me, but seeing so many people actually believe it is sophisticated dialogue boils me good.

Of course, almost all analytical discussion or deciphering of symbolism in entertainment mediums aggravates me. All it takes is a BS in BS and you're all of a sudden an elegant intellectual.
Well said. Although my post wasn't in reference to Matrix Reloaded. I can't stand it when people try to quote movies they think are GREAT that just plain out suck. I'm just like "Hey I didn't fall for it, the joke's on you!"
Old 04-12-04, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by PixyJunket
While film is an entertainment media, it is also an art media. Because of this, I don't find all analytical discussion or deciphering of symbolism aggravating because in many films it isn't BS, but relevant---and sometimes downright necessary.