Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

I'm still stuck on Matrix 2 & 3 [spoilers!]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

I'm still stuck on Matrix 2 & 3 [spoilers!]

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-04, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure that all of the humans that were taken up by Smith were returned to normal. Otherwise, I don't think the Oracle and Architect would've talked about freeing those already connected to the Matrix.
am i the only one who thinks that they weren't talking about humans but other programs that didn't have a purpose in the machine world anymore but wanted to 'live on' in the matrix?

I still don't know why Neo had NO power in the train station
i assume he was powerless because his mind and his body were seperated. (i think the oracle mentioned this)

oh, and i got a question too - in RELOADED after neo fights with the agents ('hm. upgrades.') there is a scene where he goes into an appartment and says something like 'where are you?' - what was that all about?

Last edited by p h a n a t | c; 04-16-04 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-16-04, 09:52 AM

neo also didn't have any time to figure out the programed reality of the matrix. the trainman didn't hang around long enough to let him.

remember before it took quite a while for him to learn the makeup of the matrix and how to manipulate it. the train station might have been different enough to throw him off
Old 04-16-04, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I doubt the train station is part of the Matrix. The trainman says he bult it, which makes me beleive it is something that exists outside of the Matrix. Neo has absolutely no power in it. He can't run fast. He can't deflect a punch. How he got to the train station is left vague and unconvincing in the movie. If as the Oracle says, his mind was dissociated with his body, fine, but why does it land up in the train station.

Even though it is easy to label the Merovingian as the devil, I highly dout he plays that role. To me he plays more the role of Hades, king of the underworld. He doesn't attempt to tempt Neo or actively work against their plans. Hades and the Merovignian were always into deals. The Meroviginian might be a bad character but only because he is greedy...whereas the Devil would try to dissuade or thwart the plans of the "one" He doesn't seem to really care if Neo wins or loses. I am sure he survived the "Night of Smith" and the subsequent reload.

And lets not forget that Hades and Persephone were married. If anyone is the Devil, it was Cypher, who tempted those with the idea of living in the Matrix forever.

Hades is the lord of the dead and ruler of the nether world, which is referred to as the domain of Hades or, by transference, as Hades alone. He is the son of Cronus and Rhea. When the three sons of Cronus divided the world among each other, Hades was given the underworld, while his brothers Zeus and Poseidon took the upperworld and the sea respectively. For a while Hades ruled the underworld together with Persephone, whom he had abducted from the upperworld, but Zeus ordered him to release Persephone back into the care of her mother Demeter.However, before she left he gave her a pomegranate and when she ate of it, it bound her to the underworld forever.

Hades sits on a throne made of ebony, and carries a scepter. He also has a helmet, given to him by the Cyclopes, which can make him invisible. Hades rules the dead, assisted by various (demonic) helpers, such as Thanatos and Hypnos, the ferryman Charon, and the hound Cerberus. Many heroes from Greek mythology have descended into the underworld, either to question the shades or trying to free them. Although Hades does not allow his subjects to leave his domain, on several occasions he has granted permission, such as when Orpheus requested the return of his beloved Eurydice.

Hades possesses the riches of the earth, and is thus referred to as 'the Rich One'. Possibly also because -- as Sophocles writes -- 'the gloomy Hades enriches himself with our sighs and our tears'. Of all the gods, Hades is the one who is liked the least and even the gods themselves have an aversion of him. People avoided speaking his name lest they attracted his unwanted attention. With their faces averted they sacrificed black sheep, whose blood they let drip into pits, and when they prayed to him, they would bang their hands on the ground. The narcissus and the cypress are sacred to him.

Last edited by chanster; 04-16-04 at 10:22 AM.
Old 04-16-04, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't think the train station was part of the Matrix, rather it was a conduit between the machine world and the Matrix.
Old 04-16-04, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I admit I watched Revolutions last night. This is my first viewing of it since I saw it in theaters. It wasn't nearly as bad as I remembered it.

The really bad parts all have to do with the Zion battle. They seem like padding are repetitive and do absolutely nothing to advance the story. The military strategy has never made sense to me (why no EMPs in dock as a last resort?). I don't care about those 2 chicks with the grenade launcher.

Other than that, I found the movie pretty entertaining.
Old 04-16-04, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
There were no EMPs in the dock station because it totally cripples their military effectiveness, as well as communication capabilities. When Niobi and Morpheus show up, the EMP just buys them just enough time for Neo to do his thang, otherwise, an EMP wouldn't really provide all that much in terms of protection from the squiddies in the long run.
Old 04-16-04, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There were no EMPs in the dock station because it totally cripples their military effectiveness, as well as communication capabilities. When Niobi and Morpheus show up, the EMP just buys them just enough time for Neo to do his thang, otherwise, an EMP wouldn't really provide all that much in terms of protection from the squiddies in the long run.
So? If your place is overrun you drop the EMP. At least it will buy you some time to evacuate people into whatever last ditch effort. I find it funny that the guy had nothing left in the dock to throw agains the machines, but he was still worried about dropping the EMP.

In the long run, nothing would have stopped the machines. So why not put EMPs in there?
Old 04-16-04, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

answer me this then:
machines used human bodies as the only source to harvest energy in order to exist. Now that they agreed to a truth, all of a sudden they plan on surviving wihtout using humans? ... shouldnt there have been some kind of an explanation on this?
Old 04-16-04, 01:12 PM

Originally posted by chanster

In the long run, nothing would have stopped the machines. So why not put EMPs in there?
Because you wouldn't kill all the machines. I think there were a few lines about how the machines were attacking in waves.

Set off an EMP, and you kill some machines and ALL your defensive capability.

Don't set off an EMP and you still retain some Defensive capability for a Last Stand.
Old 04-16-04, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by Oraphus
answer me this then:
machines used human bodies as the only source to harvest energy in order to exist. Now that they agreed to a truth, all of a sudden they plan on surviving wihtout using humans? ... shouldnt there have been some kind of an explanation on this?
There was. One of the biggest misconceptions is that Zion was trying to free EVERY human mind and body. The first movie makes it clear that not every one can not be freed otherwise the shock would likely kill them.

So what Zion is trying to do is... survive annihilation and not live inside the 'Powerplant' as it were- no matter how spartan that life may be.

The end (and I'm not spoiling anything here), says that those that want out will be allowed- a tacit implication that there are plenty that will want to stay.
Old 04-16-04, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by Patman
I don't think the train station was part of the Matrix, rather it was a conduit between the machine world and the Matrix.
agreed, the train station is still a part of a computer system of some sort so neo given enough time could possibly figure out the things that bend or break just like the computer system of the matrix. the entire machine world is a huge computer network totally seperate from the matrx.

the train station seems just like the back door line, neo could fly there but it wasn't necissarily in the matrix. every computer system has to have rules no matter who designs it. that's one of the biggest points of the first movie
Old 04-16-04, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Because you wouldn't kill all the machines. I think there were a few lines about how the machines were attacking in waves.

Set off an EMP, and you kill some machines and ALL your defensive capability.

Don't set off an EMP and you still retain some Defensive capability for a Last Stand.
They had no defenses left at all. I remember the guy says there are 13 "Mechwarrior" dudes left. Out of how many? Hundreds. I didn't see any other defenses besides the gun turrents in the middle which had already been blasted.

Their next line of defense was in the tunnel (which wouldn't last anyway) and probably wouldn't be affected by the EMP in the dock.

You can try to explain it, but you can't from a practical sense. The only reason its there is to give Morpheus and Niobe something to do during the movie.