Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Remakes of Asian films...what's your thoughts?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-04, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As many of you already know there has been a few remakes made of foreign films such as Three men and a baby, Birdcage, and Insomnia. However, lately it seems as if Hollywood has had a dry moment of creativity and have begun to shop overseas at Asia instead. The Ring is one of the most recent films that people recognize, and now the studios are getting the right to many others films. Here is a short list of coming remakes and films that might be remakes.

Dark Water (2004)
Il Mare
Kairo
Ring 2 (2004)

Are there other Asian films that are being remade, if so please post if you know. Submit link or source if possible.

Personally, I can understand the studios interests in the Asian films, since many of the films are brilliant. However, I feel that it is sad that we cannot try to see the films and offer them more publicity so the films can be seen by a larger audience. As we all know it is the all might buck that steers the studio and rightfully so as it provides jobs and other good things. Yet, I feel a certain dislike for the remaking of recent films that could be seen here if they were distributed with proper advertisement. Many other countries in the world watch American films, but they do not remake them and they have to read the subtitles or dub them.

So what are your thoughts about the new trend of remaking Asian films?

Last edited by DVD Smurf; 04-11-04 at 12:42 AM.
Old 04-11-04, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unless the movie is some near-perfect classic film then I don't really mind. There is usually room to improve and although most remakes don't improve (and do quite the opposite) I'd still like to give them a chance.
Old 04-11-04, 12:47 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The Eye is another one.

Technically, The Ring 2 is not a remake. It is based on an original script. It is not a remake of the Japanese Ring 2, and it is also not an adaptation of the sequel to the novel The Ring.

I don't mind the remakes, especially if they get people to see the originals. Also, some of those originals had room for improvement as well. I thought The Ring was competent, but not nearly as good as the original. Dark Water, on the other hand, could definitely be improved.

I'm looking forward to The Ring 2, though, because it can't possibly be worse than the piece of shit that was the Japanese Ring 2.
Old 04-11-04, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Ju-on: the grudge is getting the hollywood treatment as The Grudge

I'm all for it. U.S. horror has always had me rolling my eyes. I never got into the jasons, freddy's myers, etc. type of horror whiel asian horror films have always made me scare myself silly.
Old 04-11-04, 12:59 AM
Banned by request

No Evil Dead Trap remakes on the way?
Old 04-11-04, 01:00 AM

If it gets more people to notice the original Asian film, and Asian cinema overall, I have no problem with it. The only problem I have is Hollywood studios handling domestic releases of Asian films. I would like to see more proper releases for Asian films in America. Hollywood has a global hegemony, and I want to see foreign films break it up and become mainstream in America.

Here's a good list of Asian film remakes in development: http://www.chud.com/news/mar04/mar6asia.php3

Since Gurinder Chadha (Bend It Like Beckham) is directing the American remake of My Sassy Girl, I wonder if she'll get Keira Knightley to play the part of the Girl. Mmm, I'd watch that.

Last edited by beefjerky; 04-11-04 at 01:16 AM.
Old 04-11-04, 02:06 PM

Originally posted by Suprmallet
The Eye is another one.

Technically, The Ring 2 is not a remake. It is based on an original script. It is not a remake of the Japanese Ring 2, and it is also not an adaptation of the sequel to the novel The Ring.
Source? I find it peculiar that Hideo Nakata is directing Ring 2 in the US, but with a different theme? If so, why not rename it. Just curious...

Cheers

DVD Smurf
Old 04-11-04, 02:13 PM
Banned by request

Originally posted by DVD Smurf
Source? I find it peculiar that Hideo Nakata is directing Ring 2 in the US, but with a different theme? If so, why not rename it. Just curious...

Cheers

DVD Smurf
Ahh, I haven't been keeping up with my Ring 2 news. The last time I looked at Ringworld (http://ringworld.somrux.com/) they listed some commercial director as the director for the film, and a guy at Dreamworks had told them it would have nothing to do with the Japanese sequel.

However, with Nakata returning, it may end up being a remake of the Japanese sequel, which would suck so badly. I really hope he does something different.
Old 04-11-04, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Infernal Affairs comes to mind.
Old 04-11-04, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would rather there were more unique and original US titles, than rehashes of recent Asian films. If Asian cinema can come out with unique stories and ideas, why can't americans? Lazy bastards....
Old 04-11-04, 06:58 PM

I think its great, remakes bring attention to the original movies that I otherwise wouldn't know about in a lot of cases, I mean its kind of a waste of money to remake them but whatever, so is making movies like (insert effects heavy sci fi blockbuster here)
Old 04-11-04, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I don't like it because I'm a snob.

My Wife is a Gangster is another one being remade. Ring 2 isn't a remake.
Old 04-11-04, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The question is, are their any Asian films NOT being remade?
Old 04-11-04, 08:41 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Guinea Pig and Female Market on the Way ???
Old 04-11-04, 08:51 PM
Banned by request

Originally posted by Original Desmond
Guinea Pig and Female Market on the Way ???

I have a Guinea Pig box set from Germany. I'd love to see any American filmmaker try and remake those.
Old 04-11-04, 10:00 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Suprmallet

I have a Guinea Pig box set from Germany. I'd love to see any American filmmaker try and remake those.

Yeah starring Paris Hilton
Old 04-11-04, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
I personally love the horror/thriller movies that are coming out of Asia. Just more emphasis on atmosphere and creeping you out, rather than giving you a cheap scare for that 2 seconds.

As for the remaking of so many Asian Horror movies I enjoy, I'm not to fond of it. To be honest Asian Horror movies are kicking the US's ass when it comes to quality creepy horror films. It's also kind of sad instead of companies here trying to create something original of their own to work with, we are still jumping on other countries and remaking their horror movies. Well to be honest when you come up with crap like Jeepers Creepers, Wrong Turn, and so on, I guess remaking quality horror films is the only choice you have.

EDIT: Also I was just wondering if anyone knows, the movie IRON MONKEY (which I love) wasn't remade right? Quentin Tarantino just released in theaters/DVD for a larger audience to see right? If so thats badass, and I agree with the original poster in that remark.
Old 04-12-04, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If they're good remakes, then they're good decisions.
Old 04-12-04, 12:00 PM
Banned

Here's my thought:

How about coming up with some friggin' original ideas for once?
Old 04-12-04, 02:17 PM

Originally posted by Rivero
Here's my thought:

How about coming up with some friggin' original ideas for once?

I am a big asian cinema fan, and while I am not totally against the remakes I generally don't care for them. The Ring I thought was a piece of crap, but I absolutely love the original (and it's sequels). Ring 2 I am looking forward to since it will be Nakata directing. Hell, there are already two "Ring 2"s in Japan (Rasen, and Ring 2) let's go for a third It couldn't be a direct remake of the original Ring 2 anyway since the first remake had taken ides from Ring 2 and incorporated them in The Ring.

I am looking forward to both Dark Water and The Grudge. Dark Water because of Jennifer Connelly and The Grudge because the Juon series has been great and it is more like the 5th installment then a remake since Takashi Shimizu is directing it. And it will be starring the "important people" from the Japanese films. Can not wait.

I wasn't aware of an Il Mare remake. It would depend on who is involved to sway my opinion either way.

All of that said I agree with Rivero that hollywood should come up with some 'original' ideas. There are plenty of talented screenwriters and storytellers that are not getting a chance to put their material out since Hollywood is too busy dumping out remake after remake. Sometimes Hollywood does put out a decent remake, The Vanishing comes to mind (the original is still better IMO though).

Sometimes remakes can be absolutely great. Look at what Miike did to the Quiet Family with Happiness of the Katakuris , of course that wasn't Hollywood though.

One more plus with remakes, it helps bring some titles over that never would get brought over in R1
Old 04-12-04, 02:24 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The best elements of Ring 2 were already used in the American remake of The Ring anyway. It's probably a good thing they're starting from scratch.

Mel Gibson ought to do a remake of Audition. That seems up his alley.
Old 04-12-04, 02:26 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
Mel Gibson ought to do a remake of Audition. That seems up his alley.
Old 04-12-04, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
I have taken a huge liking to Asian films just recently (mainly the horror - I love 'em (and there's more Americans that love these films than you think).

I myself am against remakes (so friggin kill me) but not when it comes to something like this - why? what sense does that make? Because what if we get more and more kick ass Asian directors over here to do a string of those horror movies we love so much? Yeah exactly!!! Can you imagine the Pang brothers breaking out horror flicks left and right in America? It would Be pretty damn sweet right? Well I think so anyway.
Old 04-14-04, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
I woudn't mind if the originals were actually released in theaters here first. Of course that will never happen since that would take box office $$$ away from the remake. And the less people have heard about the original(s) the better for business. It's the whole "buy the rights, shelf the film with no intention of ever releasing it, and try to pass the remake as an original" mentality that I have a problem with. Hollywood is turning into one big recycling plant.
Old 04-14-04, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
Originally posted by Rival11
Because what if we get more and more kick ass Asian directors over here to do a string of those horror movies we love so much? Yeah exactly!!! Can you imagine the Pang brothers breaking out horror flicks left and right in America? It would Be pretty damn sweet right? Well I think so anyway.
Yeah just like all the great films John Woo has made in America!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.