Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

worst effects in your opinion (only particular shots or scene's please)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

worst effects in your opinion (only particular shots or scene's please)

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-04, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
A Trip to the Moon

When the spaceship landed in the guy's eye, it lost all credibility.
Nice movie geek reference!
Old 04-12-04, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
(flexes hands)

Die Another Day

Bond drives an ice-dragster off into the ocean... only to use the dragchute and the chute-casing-cover as a surfboard and parasail. And it looks atrociously bad...

The Two Towers

Saruman might as well have said "Send out your Warg cartoons!" Also, despite the technical artistry that went into creating him, Gollum's just an animated figure, less like a real thing and more like Roger Rabbit.

The Return Of The King

Frodo and Sam
Spoiler:
escape Mount Doom, lava billowing behind them,
yet it looks like they've just been cut-and-pasted in there like a bad photoshop job. Gollum's drawbacks repeat.

Hellboy

Little Hellboy.

Lost In Space

Possibly the most criminal use - a pet character is added simply to spur toy sales, and it's the vilest-looking, most awfully-animated thing you've ever seen. If taht's not bad enough,
Spoiler:
Oldman's infected self turning into a monster...
... at least the spiders looked cool.

Spider-Man

Seriously poor effects whenever Spider-Man is mid-air; the worst is when he's running up the walls in his makeshift costume.

Minority Report

Freeway scenes

The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Any shots witha city in the background. There's an especially terrible shot where it goes underwater to show the barrells of TNT under Venice - and it looks like a shot out of a manga film.

Van Helsing

It might be fixed in time for release, but it's Somers, so who knows... flying vampires, wolf man and of course, Dracula morphing made me want to not see the film.

Dreamcatcher

This is a public forum, so I'll just say "doodie weasels".

Resident Evil

What the hell is that thing they're getting chased by? It looks like a mongoloid koopa.

The Matrix Reloaded
The Matrix Revolutions

My God, those effects were UNCOPYABLE! Sure were!

House Of The Dead

Some parts look so bad, it's like they've spliced in shots from the video game! But they'd never do that, would they?

That's it. For now.
Old 04-12-04, 03:46 PM

In Batman 1989 the pipes in the backdrop are glaringly paintings and look like something from whoville. There's a lot of dated shots in that movie...
Old 04-12-04, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by beefjerky
It looks amazing when it's just a still cap. It really does make you do a double take. Also, it looks a lot more realistic on the small screen than on the big screen.

http://s87617422.onlinehome.us/pictures/neocap1.jpg
http://s87617422.onlinehome.us/pictures/neocap2.jpg
http://s87617422.onlinehome.us/pictures/neocap3.jpg
http://s87617422.onlinehome.us/pictures/neocap4.jpg

The videos at the bottom of this page http://www.uemedia.net/CPC/vfxpro/article_7062.shtml really show just how amazing the CG humans were. They really captured the nuances and idiosyncrasies of human facial movement.

The sequels also had some of the best composite work I've ever seen. Everything was composited almost flawlessly. The one shot of Morpheus slashing the Escalade is just flawless.
WOW!
i was gonna nominate Matrix Reloaded as the worst CG... but i might have to think twice now... it is indeed nice detail... but the move/motion still feel like CG... but yes, i have to admit the detail was fantastic

i also agree with:
Air force One (plane crash scene)

it's too bad... great movie overall...

i think the HULk suffer the same thing as Matrix Reloaded (haven't seen Revolution yet), great detail work (especially facial movement), but not so confincing body movement...
Old 04-12-04, 10:22 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
-The scene in Spiderman where Peter Parker is jumping from rooftop to rooftop. Overall a lot of the effects in the film are shoddy but this part was seriously distracting, he looked like Gumby.

-the last forty minutes of Attack of the Clones. I paid to see a Star Wars film, not a friggin' Pixar flick.
Old 04-12-04, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The flames when Louis' mansion burns down in Interview with the Vampire are just so glaringly fake.
Old 04-12-04, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

got to be the Jabba The Hutt scene in Star Wars : The Special Edition. It's the worst thing I have ever seen. When I saw pictures of it in a magazine before the movie came out I thought they were showing us the basic "work in progress" CGI... I couldn't believe that was the final scene.
Old 04-12-04, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Pretty much what others have mentioned. The Mummy Returns is probably the most glaring. Can't believe how shotty that looked... probably another case of meeting a release date.

I actually didn't mind a lot of the scenes in Spider-Man, but the scene where he is climbing up the wall was particularly bad. The action once he gets his real costume isn't too bad.
Old 04-12-04, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by turborobb
got to be the Jabba The Hutt scene in Star Wars : The Special Edition. It's the worst thing I have ever seen. When I saw pictures of it in a magazine before the movie came out I thought they were showing us the basic "work in progress" CGI... I couldn't believe that was the final scene.
they said it took about a year to do the cgi work for that scene.
Old 04-13-04, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally posted by beefjerky
It looks amazing when it's just a still cap. It really does make you do a double take. Also, it looks a lot more realistic on the small screen than on the big screen.

http://s87617422.onlinehome.us/pictures/neocap1.jpg
http://s87617422.onlinehome.us/pictures/neocap2.jpg
http://s87617422.onlinehome.us/pictures/neocap3.jpg
http://s87617422.onlinehome.us/pictures/neocap4.jpg

The videos at the bottom of this page http://www.uemedia.net/CPC/vfxpro/article_7062.shtml really show just how amazing the CG humans were. They really captured the nuances and idiosyncrasies of human facial movement.

The sequels also had some of the best composite work I've ever seen. Everything was composited almost flawlessly. The one shot of Morpheus slashing the Escalade is just flawless.
That may look good in screen caps, but I definitely don't remember it looking like that when I saw it in the theaters. He looked way more plasticky and smooth.
Old 04-13-04, 04:24 AM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by spainlinx0
That may look good in screen caps, but I definitely don't remember it looking like that when I saw it in the theaters. He looked way more plasticky and smooth.
i think it was a slight problem with their movement, but not with the actual images.
Old 04-13-04, 09:37 AM

Die Hard 3 - THe tunnel sequence when Bruce is on top of the truck and the water is behind him... just a lot of blue screen that could have been better.....
Old 04-13-04, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The elevator drop scene in Towering Inferno where this amoeba-like thing (blood?) spreads across the screen. They could have faded to black there and it would have been much better.
Old 04-13-04, 10:39 AM

the crow
Old 04-13-04, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

One more vote for the Scorpion King sequence in The Mummy Returns...awful, just awful. My daughter could have drawn that sequence and it would have looked as real.

LXG...the super-hyde character at the end was absurd.
Old 04-13-04, 12:23 PM
KMH
Cool New Member

Not exactly an "effect," but the use of grainy, old stock footage of battleships in Windtalkers is one of the most pathetic things I've seen in a major motion picture. I would have much preferred some bad CG instead.
Old 04-13-04, 02:31 PM

The elevator drop scene in Towering Inferno where this amoeba-like thing (blood?) spreads across the screen. They could have faded to black there and it would have been much better.
That was in Earthquake, not Towering Inferno, but you're right--the animated blood splatter was a horribly-done effect even for 1974.

I recently re-watched the Lost In Space movie and was shocked by how bad the effects looked--especially at the beginning when the ship was blasting off in the middle of the city. I won't even bring up the yellow space monkey.
Old 04-13-04, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The explosion they pasted on the Cryoprison at the end of Demolition Man - just horrible. And after they went to the trouble of blowing up a real building at the start of the film.
Old 04-13-04, 03:03 PM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by turborobb
I SO agree! That scene is the lamest addition to the SE's (yes, worse than Greedo shooting first IMO)
Old 04-13-04, 05:30 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Superman 4 where they fly the woman into outer space with no space suit.......how the hell do the director allow that.
Old 04-13-04, 08:13 PM

Wing Commander - I could not tell who was shooting who...
Old 04-13-04, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Mondo Kane
Surfing scene in Escape From L.A.
This might have been intentional as an homage to the fake effects of the Frankie Avalon surf films....Or at least I hope it is!
This has to be about the worst effect I've seen in modern films. Infact; it's about the only thing I remember about that entire debacle of a movie. I'm usually not that picky about special effects, but that was just pathetic!
Old 04-13-04, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Daytrip
the crow
I thought this immediately when I saw this thread. The main scene that sticks out to me is when Brandon Lee's character gets shot through the hand. I recognize that it's an older movie, but that scene just looks bad. DOesn't really take that much away from the film b/c I still find it to be very good.
Old 04-13-04, 09:33 PM

I'll vote for the Scorpion King ending in Mummy Returns as well.

Closely behind would be the CG used for Mr. Hyde in LXG.
Old 04-13-04, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by cross
I'll vote for the Scorpion King ending in Mummy Returns as well.

Closely behind would be the CG used for Mr. Hyde in LXG.
Mr. Hyde was prosthetics

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.