Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Friday Estimates for 04/09/04

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Friday Estimates for 04/09/04

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-04, 09:26 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I'm not sure why people keep harping on Hellboy as a bomb? Again, why keep singling that movie out when there are actual bombs also on the list? Do folks have something against that movie?
Old 04-12-04, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Because that is the situation, people do have issues with Hellboy. I dunno why. It doesn't seem like anything out of the blue other then another comic film that will turn a nice profit in the long haul.
Old 04-12-04, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Looking at Arnolds earlier days, his movies weren't breaking the bank. They made just enough to get him by to the next action film.

Eventually the rock will be a 100 million dollar draw. Just give him time
Hopefully. I've enjoyed The Scorpion King and The Rundown, and i'll probably catch Walking Tall on DVD. It's just a shame that despite good word on both his last two movies, they haven't been very big successes. Maybe he needs to co-star with one big named actor to get the general public interested rather then scoffing at the idea of a wrestler turned actor.

As for Hellboy, i think people are simply thinking comic book movie = 100+ million in the box office. Even if they aren't familiar with the character.
Old 04-13-04, 10:10 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I knew that The Whole 10 Yards would bomb, but I feel kind of bad for The Alamo. Though I haven't seen it and am aware of its mixed reviews. It should have pulled in more than it did.
Old 04-13-04, 11:10 AM

But I think that very few people were actually interested in the story of The Alamo. I know I wasn't.

Chris
Old 04-13-04, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The story of the Alamo is amazing. It's pure AMERICAN ideals! With saying that...no I haven't seen the movie yet. Planning on seeing it soon.

Last edited by Get Me Coffee; 04-13-04 at 12:39 PM.
Old 04-13-04, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by mrpayroll
But I think that very few people were actually interested in the story of The Alamo. I know I wasn't.
I think the story is fascinating, but that's probably just because I've spent my entire life in the area and I've heard all the different legends. That's what makes me want to see the movie to see how accurately they portrayed it.
Old 04-13-04, 12:31 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I don't know - Easter week must be a slow week historically (I don't have previous year's numbers handy). I'm sure that that The Passion... stole a lot of the competition's thunder too since it came in at #1 again.
Old 04-13-04, 01:41 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last year, this time...

1 Anger Management $42,220,847

2 Phone Booth $7,618,519

3 What a Girl Wants $6,287,478

4 Bringing Down the House $4,502,225

5 A Man Apart $4,457,668

6 Head of State $3,982,035

7 House of 1,000 Corpses $3,460,666

8 The Core $3,306,820

9 Chicago $3,207,797

10 Basic $2,103,440
Old 04-13-04, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with all of you who think the Alamo is a fascinating story. I'm going to see it right now in fact, reviews and crap box office be damned!
Old 04-13-04, 02:40 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
No, It didn't. Read the thread before posting next time.

It's made 40+ in it's two weeks of release. it's cost was 66. It will make it back. It took the typical drop for a second week release action/comic book film. It's already greenlighted a sequel. Hellboy didn't bomb.
This film was pumped and pimped for months on AICN and all over the net. Let's face it, it only brought the fanboys/comic geeks in and not the general public.

The drop off as indicated in this post also shows it's lack of blockbuster quality.

If it didn't bomb, it sure as hell performed below expatations.
Old 04-13-04, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Get Me Coffee
The story of the Alamo is amazing. It's pure AMERICAN ideals! With saying that...no I haven't seen the movie yet. Planning on seeing it soon.
what about the thing that i heard that they showed billy bob thorton executed on his knees?
Old 04-13-04, 02:46 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Scot1458
This film was pumped and pimped for months on AICN and all over the net. Let's face it, it only brought the fanboys/comic geeks in and not the general public.
Not at my showing.
The drop off as indicated in this post also shows it's lack of blockbuster quality.
You do realize that there's a middle ground between bomb and blockbuster? If the studio was anticipating a huge hit, they would have waited until Summer to release it.

You don't have to have the numbers of Titanic or Passion to be a hit.
Old 04-13-04, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Scot1458
It was Pumped and pimped for months on AICN because Del Toro is good friends with Henry, owner of AICN. They help each other out.

If it didn't bomb, it sure as hell performed below expatations.
Shut up already. There is obvious bombs like The Alamo and you take a typical second week drop (on a weekend where all titles were lower then expected) and claim Hellboy is a bomb? It's already 2/3 it's way to making back it's budget in it's second week. For a sony released title, that's amazing. It's an obscure comic book. You ask your typical fan boy comic book reader and 9 times out of 10, they will not know a thing about hellboy prior to this film. It's not an X-men or a Spiderman. this was never suppose to be a Summer blockbuster. It was just a small budget Revolutions film distributed by sony. It's take in so far is above what was expected from it.

It amazes me that every film has to do 50+ in it's first weekend in order to not be considered a bomb.
Old 04-13-04, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by movielib
I agree with all of you who think the Alamo is a fascinating story. I'm going to see it right now in fact, reviews and crap box office be damned!
I just saw it and I can't be all that positive in my opinion of it. The last part was quite good from the climactic battle at the Alamo through Houston's ultimate defeat of Santa Anna but getting there was long and tedious. I liked the music and most of the acting was very good but with the exception of a few interesting scenes like Crockett's playing the violin to accompany the enemy's drumming and Travis's speech, there was little energy or forward impetus in the way things were portrayed. The ending half hour wasn't enough to save the preceding hour and three quarters.

**/****