Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone get the feeling that The Punisher isn't gonna do well?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-04, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now, I think the movie looks pretty good. But for some reason, I just am getting the feeling that this movie isn't gonna do very well. That it'll dissapear pretty quickly. What do you guys think?
Old 04-05-04, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Chances are it wont do well box office wise and critically it will be a rotten tomatoe. Will I go see it? Hell yeah. Will I enjoy it for what it is? I hope.
Old 04-05-04, 06:09 PM
Banned

I don't know. I see a lot of "obviously not comic fans" walking around town with Punisher shirts on. It seems to have a broader appeal than many comics. It is Oakland though, so maybe it's just a twist on Raider Nation.

I'm waiting to see which way word of mouth knocks me off the fence on this one.
Old 04-05-04, 06:12 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It won't do any worse than your next big action movie. The only difference is that instead of a name actor (The Rock or Vin Deisel, for example), it has a name character.
Old 04-05-04, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by Suprmallet
It won't do any worse than your next big action movie. The only difference is that instead of a name actor (The Rock or Vin Deisel, for example), it has a name character.
Pretty much.

I don't think anyone is expecting The Punisher to blow the theater doors out when it plays. But it could play very well to a certain demo....if it opens with 15-20 mil, I'd say it did okay.

I'd say it'd be very much in line with the performance of Walking Tall's opening weekend.
Old 04-05-04, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think it'll do better than the similarly-themed Walking Tall, but not nearly as well as Castle's comic-book comrades. The fact that the trailer shows him as more of a Robin Hood than a psycho vigilante bent on revenge will probably hurt it with the bigger fans.

My guess: $15-$20 million openining, little falloff in the second week and then a plunge come week three, ending up with about $50 million domestic gross - enough to warrant a sequel, which will probably get much more attention from the fanboys than this one will.
Old 04-05-04, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I can't see this performing well at the box office - I think it'll do as well as Dolf's version (adjusting for inflation). Maybe they need to have a trailer with some stuff blowing up while playing some nu-metal band or evanesence song... that always puts asses in seats.
Old 04-05-04, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
they already have the rock ballot going in the trailer now. as for the shirts.. they were free! that's the ticket!
Old 04-05-04, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the budget on this film?

Also here is a cool promotion for the film:
Lions Gate Films, a division of Lions Gate Entertainment (AMEX and TSX: LGF) and Marvel Enterprises (NYSE: MVL) will celebrate the premiere of the new comic book adaptation The Punisher with a special giveaway reprint of Amazing Spider-Man #129, the 1974 Marvel Comic book that featured The Punisher’s first appearance. Participating theatres will give away one comic book with one paid admission to The Punisher, while supplies last. The original Spider-Man #129 is a collector’s item and sells for over $900.00 on eBay. The Lions Gate special edition marks the first time the book has been reprinted.
source: Newsarama.com

Old 04-05-04, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Isn't it opening the same day as Kill Bill?
Old 04-05-04, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
I don't think it'll make a ton, but I remember reading the budget is fairly small ($33 million). If it makes back it's budget, it may get a sequel.
Old 04-05-04, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by outcastja
Isn't it opening the same day as Kill Bill?
Yup, and that alone will be it's downfall. All attention will be on KILL BILL.
Old 04-05-04, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Actually I'm kinda shocked at how good the trailers are. I'm NOT a Punisher fan but I've always understood his popularity and this movie actually looks like it might be good.
Old 04-05-04, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally posted by CreatureX
^I got that! Well, the "Marvel Tales" reprint from the mid-80's.
Old 04-05-04, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Trigger
Maybe they need to have a trailer with some stuff blowing up while playing some nu-metal band or evanesence song... that always puts asses in seats.
They do.
Old 04-05-04, 07:02 PM

I really don't know how this one will fare. I'm not a comic book person by any means, and I had no intentions of seeing it until I saw some of the commercials running on tv. They make it look like it's more of a normal, straight-up action movie with some emotional overtones rather than a movie about a comic book hero. I'll be going to see it.
Old 04-05-04, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Mondo Kane
^I got that! Well, the "Marvel Tales" reprint from the mid-80's.
I also have that reprint.
Old 04-05-04, 07:19 PM
MSD

I think it looks like crap so i wouldn't be surprised if it didn't do well but then again most people like crap nowadays so it could bring in some dough.
Old 04-05-04, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
I doubt it will do well if nothing more than the fact that it is nothing special. Face it. There really is nothing to distinguish the storyline of Punisher from that of just about every other action movie that comes out nowadays.
Not to mention the fact that given a choice between this and Kill Bill II, the geeks will flock to Bill.
Old 04-05-04, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't really give a crap how well it is gonna do as long as it entertains me.
Old 04-05-04, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by DonnachaOne
They do.
Ahh yes, I know... that's why what I said was so bloody witty and clever. nyuk nyuk.
Old 04-05-04, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Kudama
I don't know. I see a lot of "obviously not comic fans" walking around town with Punisher shirts on. It seems to have a broader appeal than many comics. It is Oakland though, so maybe it's just a twist on Raider Nation.

I'm waiting to see which way word of mouth knocks me off the fence on this one.
I think alot of those aren't a fan of comics or punisher, the shirt is kind of a pop culture thing where it is in style and people will wear it even though the don't know what it means.

I also think that Punisher would attract the same audience as Hellboy, and since Hellboy opened number 1, I think Punisher will do alright.
Old 04-05-04, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Looks good
Old 04-05-04, 08:09 PM
Banned

Why is it so many of you people are concerned with financial success and box-office receipts more than if the film in question is actually any good on a basic, fundamental, artistic level?
Old 04-05-04, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Rivero
Why is it so many of you people are concerned with financial success and box-office receipts more than if the film in question is actually any good on a basic, fundamental, artistic level?
Well, call me crazy, but I think it has to do with the original threadstarter asking, "Anyone get the feeling that The Punisher isn't gonna do well?"

There'll be a thread about The Punisher's merit as a film, but this isn't it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.