Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Horror movie remakes - can we stop now?.....Please?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-04, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, thank you. I am a big horror fan who loved the original TCM and DoD. Now I also love the two re-makes (for different reasons). The two re-makes are different enough in my mind from the originals that I can watch them with out making comparisons.

When it comes to horror (like sex and pizza) I ain't very picky. As long as it is a decent gore fest they can re-make what ever they want.
Old 04-24-04, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
Ok - the verdict is in.

I have finally seen the new Dawn of the Dead and.....................plain and simple - it was better than the original.

A previous remark in this thread said I couldn't be fair going into this movie because of some of my original remarks but guess what? I can be and I was, I was surprised at how much better the remake was over the original.

The beginning alone sucked me right in and the non-stop pace of this movie rocked.

I have been proven wrong and I'm man enough to admit it - so remember...I wasn't being stubborn or closed minded.

"I have and idea, why don't we all draw straws and whoever loses has to run him over a ham sandwich"
Old 04-24-04, 06:34 PM
MSD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Both the TCM and DOTD remakes were crap so i do wish they would stop remaking classic films but they won't and they'll continue to put out more crap.
Old 04-24-04, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Oh get off your High Horse and enjoy movies more. Sometimes all I see around dvdtalk is movie bashing. Every other douchebag poster is a douchebag film student who thinks he knows better.

Just go have fun and **** what the critics say.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 04-24-04 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-24-04, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You know, as much as I don't care for the Dawn remake, I don't really care. Horror movies are great films to remake. They are made for a certain time, and it seems that very few are timeless. But the classics all have great concepts. So I think remaking them for modern audiences is a pretty good idea. They aren't necessary and certainly bad ones are made, but I'm okay with them.
Old 04-24-04, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
I agree. Horror movies are not high art. They are about scaring the SH@& out of you or getting your heart pumping to give you a biochemical high. Just sit down and have fun.
Old 04-24-04, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Giantrobo
Oh get off your High Horse and enjoy movies more. Sometimes all I see around dvdtalk is movie bashing. Every other douchebag poster is douchebag film student who thinks he knows better.

Just go have fun and **** what the critics say.
Word
Old 04-24-04, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Drop
You know, as much as I don't care for the Dawn remake, I don't really care. Horror movies are great films to remake. They are made for a certain time, and it seems that very few are timeless. But the classics all have great concepts. So I think remaking them for modern audiences is a pretty good idea. They aren't necessary and certainly bad ones are made, but I'm okay with them.

Plus, although it isn't "high art" it's still an artform. Isn't art supposed to be seen from different "angles" and "takes". What I mean is one man's vision of "Dawn" from the 70's doesn't have to be done verbatim when it's done by another man 2004.
Old 04-24-04, 09:51 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
The thing is, today's audiance would not care for shambling zombies.
If that were the case, then nobody today would like Night of the Living Dead except for us old geezers who like their zombies like they like their women, slow and stinky
Old 04-24-04, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
I like remakes of movies like Dawn of the Dead, but probably only because they weren't some of my favorites to begin with. That said, I probably wouldn't be jumping to see remakes movies like A Nightmare on Elm Street (and to a lesser extent, TCM) simply because I love them so much.

And this problem is certainly not limited to the horror genre, and in truth it will never likely end. It is too easy to take a proven idea and repackage it. That is a shame because there are certainly far more good horror ideas that end up poorly executed bombs. That is, horror movies that would be best served with a remake will likely never receive one.

Last edited by SunMonkey; 04-24-04 at 11:41 PM.
Old 04-24-04, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
The new Dawn of the Dead kicked the shit out of the original (which I actually liked alot) - and apart from Dawn of the Dead and Creepshow, I think Romero is a hack. The new TCM was about as good as the original - which wasn't all that great anyway... the biggest thing it had going for it was that it was fairly original. I don't like the idea of remakes usually, but I always give them a fair chance. I hated the idea of remaking the Ring in the US and ended up watching it and liking it. There are only so many stories to be told and the fact is - we've run out of new ideas. It's all about how the story is told...
Old 04-24-04, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I felt that the moral lesson in the new Dawn of the Dead was lost, and naturally was the special effects better as well... Instead it turned into a survival story...
Old 04-24-04, 11:55 PM

Originally posted by DVD Smurf
I felt that the moral lesson in the new Dawn of the Dead was lost, and naturally was the special effects better as well... Instead it turned into a survival story...
Well yes, but was the original moral message of "shopping = capitalist zombiehood" that strong in the first place?
Old 04-25-04, 05:34 AM
Banned

I generally hate remakes...but I dug the TCM remake...no idea why...felt more like a sequel...and Leatherface was just awesome in it...plus...R. Lee Ermey...and Jessica Biel's jeans...

But just about every other horror remake sucks!
Old 04-25-04, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Trigger
The new Dawn of the Dead kicked the shit out of the original (which I actually liked alot) - and apart from Dawn of the Dead and Creepshow, I think Romero is a hack.

I totally agree. Romero is nothing special
Old 04-25-04, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i love the original DOTD.
seeing it again recently on the new disc, i had a blast.
the only reason i haven't see te remake is because i hate going out to the theater now.
i have a very satisfying HT and it seems like a waste to pay good money to see a film one time.
i'll probably pick up the remake when it streets and then ebay it off if it sucks.

i checked out TCM '03, primarily to oogle Biel in a tank top, and was surprised that i enjoyed the movie (for the most part).
i saw the original back in the 80s at a midnight show, and have never had the desire to check it out again since.
just never found the material or the execution that compelling.
the remake however had a good cast (everybody handled their parts well, i thought) and the disc itself was first rate.
i also appreciated where and why it deviated from the original, and it was obvious to me that they were writing this one with an appreciation for peoples expectations based on the source.
it degenerated into the typical chase at the end, but the build up was pretty satisfying(to me).

has anyone heard of Paramount remaking Let's Scare Jessica To Death?
it's mentioned as being in pre production in a new Fangoria book, but i can't seem to dig up any mre info on it.
i hope its true as it will surely mean that the original will finally get its own dvd release-
Old 04-25-04, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
Cruzness - how the hell can you say that horror movies are not "high art"? And what the hell does that mean anyway? Give me an example of a movie that you think is high art and I'll let you know if it is or not.
Old 04-25-04, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
The DOTD re-make is better than the original in terms of action, but the original has the added benefit of being an original.
I bought TCM '03 as a blind buy (actually, I used the Best Buy special to get the original for $15 and with certificates, more or less got the 03 version for free), and while it does go for every horror cliche in the book, it is not so bad that it isn't watchable, at least IMO.
FWIW, while I do not like the idea, horror movies are far from sacred because so many are little more than fluff in the first place. In all honesty, asking Hollywood to quite remaking horror is like asking it to put a halt to one of its long standing traditions. Look at Dracula, Frankenstein, Invisible Man, Jekyll and Hyde; just how many incarnations/re-imaginings have there been of these stories? I think there are over 100 all in all of Frankenstein if you count the sequels and foreign versions.