Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Is the American release of Shaolin Soccer edited?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-04, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Is it dubbed too?
Old 04-02-04, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've heard it was both.

According to IMDB:

111 min / Hong Kong:102 min (DVD version) / USA:87 min

Looks like 24 minutes have been cut from the US version.

Weird that the DVD version is even cut.

Last edited by DodgingCars; 04-02-04 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-02-04, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I found this in the NYT review:

"Soccer" was released in Hong Kong in 2001, and was available on DVD until nearly a year ago. Miramax bought it, tricked it up with new, simplified subtitles and scissored nearly half an hour of jagged subplots and brawling that might have compromised a get-'em-into-the-tent PG-13. To compensate, new music and English-language signs and graphics have been added, so the film seems to take place in an even odder world than most Hong Kong action epics.

Looks like there is subtitles... but it has definately been cut.
Old 04-02-04, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
The korean DVD isn't cut I don't think.
Old 04-02-04, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
I've had the uncut dvd for years now - I just want to see it on the big screen - but not if it's cut.
Old 04-02-04, 03:01 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
isn't the film starting it's limited release date today?
Old 04-02-04, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts
Yep... 6 screens! Wow what an opening!
Old 04-02-04, 03:04 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Miramax/Disney has so little faith in this.. they should have just thrown it on video.
Old 04-02-04, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts
Originally posted by Giles
Miramax/Disney has so little faith in this.. they should have left it alone.
fixed
Old 04-02-04, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally posted by DodgingCars
According to IMDB:

111 min / Hong Kong:102 min (DVD version) / USA:87 min

Looks like 24 minutes have been cut from the US version.

Weird that the DVD version is even cut.
There were two versions of this film released to Hong Kong theatres, an original cut of 102 minutes, and an extended cut of 111 minutes. The extended cut added in two new scenes as well as an outtake reel.

The HK DVD contains the original cut of the film. However, the extended scenes are available to view in an "Infinafilm" style feature where you press play when an icon shows up while watching the film, and the player branches off to play the extended scene. The Korean DVD does the same thing, except the logos don't show up when you have subtitles on.

As for the most recent Miramax version of the film: It's in its original language with English subtitles, but it is also edited down to 87 minutes.
Old 04-02-04, 06:37 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I just find this amazing. It's like Miramax feels compelled to cut something out of every foreign movie they release (except Amelie). There must be other companies out there willing to distribute foreign films that should try and compete with Miramax.
Old 04-02-04, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Suprmallet
There must be other companies out there willing to distribute foreign films that should try and compete with Miramax.
Well, Stephen Chow sold the US rights to his next film to Sony.
Old 04-02-04, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if I was a filmmaker in hong kong. . .I'd sell it to new line for 2 million.
Old 04-02-04, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Suprmallet
I just find this amazing. It's like Miramax feels compelled to cut something out of every foreign movie they release (except Amelie). There must be other companies out there willing to distribute foreign films that should try and compete with Miramax.
well city of god was left untouched at least (too bad they didn't open it wide to let alot of people see it.
Old 04-02-04, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Rypro 525
well city of god was left untouched at least (too bad they didn't open it wide to let alot of people see it.
If it had, most people wouldn't have seen it anyway.
Old 04-02-04, 08:38 PM

I'm at a loss as to what they could actually cut out of the movie; an earlier post said something about "jagged subplots," but I really can't think of any offhand that were especially complicated or drawn-out, and the violence in the movie is minimal and cartoonish ...
Old 04-02-04, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How the heck can they cut 20+ minutes of this film??? I loved every minute of this movie, I bought the DVD and must have watched it 5 times because it is so hilarious and definitely one of Stephen Chow's Best (go see God of Cookery for another one of his).

Anyway, it is too bad, they censored and cut it. What a joke, why even bother, really?
Old 04-03-04, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Jay G.
There were two versions of this film released to Hong Kong theatres, an original cut of 102 minutes, and an extended cut of 111 minutes. The extended cut added in two new scenes as well as an outtake reel.

The HK DVD contains the original cut of the film. However, the extended scenes are available to view in an "Infinafilm" style feature where you press play when an icon shows up while watching the film, and the player branches off to play the extended scene. The Korean DVD does the same thing, except the logos don't show up when you have subtitles on.

As for the most recent Miramax version of the film: It's in its original language with English subtitles, but it is also edited down to 87 minutes.
Ahh yes, that's right... I have both the original HK DVD and the Korean SE... Forgot that the HK version did that as well. Also - the Extended version was released to HK theaters as a second run of the film after the shorter version had its run... iirc.

I don't know if it's still true, but I think MiramAxe also did some CG editing of their own - for example, they added undies to the goalie who gets his clothes blown off... that might have just been in the trailer though. I don't think i'll see this in theaters - I've supported this film by purchasing 3 DVDs of it (one for a friend) and a VCD (before it was available on DVD). I don't want to support Miramax on this - and they've already paid out Stephen Chow or whoever, so it's not like he'll get any more money from me seeing it. I am gonna silently protest this release by not attending... send a tiny message to Miramax that they should leave these films alone and just let me import them.
Old 04-03-04, 03:47 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by Trigger
I don't want to support Miramax on this - and they've already paid out Stephen Chow or whoever, so it's not like he'll get any more money from me seeing it. I am gonna silently protest this release by not attending... send a tiny message to Miramax that they should leave these films alone and just let me import them.
I agree with you on this. And since I also have a region free player, I refuse to buy any Miramax international films if I know they're cut on the DVD (Malena is one that springs immediately to mind).
Old 04-03-04, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by profbobo
I'm at a loss as to what they could actually cut out of the movie;
Here is a very old list of what Miramax cut:
http://www.monkeypeaches.com/020705B.html
It's not 100% accurate. Miramax made some changes to the film since this report, such as changing the title back to Shaolin Soccer, adding back in some violence to make the film PG-13, and possibly adding the song "Kung-Fu Fighting" to the credits

Originally posted by Trigger
Also - the Extended version was released to HK theaters as a second run of the film after the shorter version had its run... iirc.
This is correct, the extended version was released to theatres about a month or so after the original cut of the film was released.
I don't know if it's still true, but I think MiramAxe also did some CG editing of their own - for example,
Spoiler:
they added undies to the goalie who gets his clothes blown off
... that might have just been in the trailer though.
It has been confirmed that change was only done for the trailer; even the PG edit Miramax made had this scene unaltered. Miramax did a similar thing in the trailer for KILL BILL; they made blood on The Bride's outfit black.

I am gonna silently protest this release by not attending... send a tiny message to Miramax that they should leave these films alone and just let me import them.
Having bought half a dozen copies of the HK DVD, I'm going to do the same, although I doubt:[list=1][*]I'm going to have a choice, since the release looks so limited it won't ever come to my town.[*]Miramax will care. They have shown a callous disregard for the wants of the fans throughout the whole process. The only reason we're even getting the original Cantonese is because their English dub tested so poorly last Fall.[/list=1]