Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Most Promising Young Director

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Who is the Most Promising Young Director?
Wes Anderson
13.76%
P.T. Anderson
13.76%
Darren Aronofsky
6.42%
Sofia Coppola
11.93%
David Fincher
19.27%
Chris Nolan
5.50%
Quentin Tarantino
14.68%
other
14.68%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Most Promising Young Director

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-04, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Giles
bah-ha-ha "Seabiscuit" a cut above mainstream movie - sorry, but I beg to differ. The enitre movie felt like a throwback to standard 50's style Hollywood filmmaking. The cinematography was admirable, but the story and characters seemed cookie cutter predictable and bland.
Don't get me wrong it shouldn't win any awards for originality. However, I thought it was an absolutely beautiful movie to look at, every shot was gorgeous. I also found it very entertaining. Diffr'nt Strokes and all that...
Old 04-02-04, 04:00 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Hiro11
Don't get me wrong it shouldn't win any awards for originality. However, I thought it was an absolutely beautiful movie to look at, every shot was gorgeous. I also found it very entertaining. Diffr'nt Strokes and all that...
and that was the point - the filmmakers played it safe, too safe in my opinion: A story that offered very little in terms of conflict or orginality. Sure it was entertaining but it didn't take enough risks, it played to a spedific audience that expected way to little in return. I am not saying it is a bad movie, it just seemed to manipulate and play down too much.
Old 04-02-04, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Not sure if it was mentioned, but what about Antione Fuqua? This guy directed Traning Day, Tears of the Sun, and the upcoming King Arthur. Guy looks no older than 35 and is just starting out I believe.
Old 04-02-04, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
Yeah, most of the directors in this poll aren't young - but I would (and did) vote for Quentin - and not just because he's my favorite director either:

Wes Anderson - I find his films quite lacking in the area of actually caring about what's going on.

P.T. Anderson - I could go on for days about this guy but that's what Magnolia is for. He's full of too much symbolism and relies on it way too much, I always find myself asking for more out of his characters.

Darren Aronofsky - Now we're talking, a bold to director to say the least but It kind of feels like he doesn't want to change direction and try new things - time will easily tell with him though.

Sofia Coppola - I loved lost in Translation and I'm sure she will have more great films to follow but it's too early to tell.

David Fincher - great director all around, his films speak for themselves and he's one of the best directors today.

Chris Nolan - Sorry, I hated Memento & Insomnia.

Quentin Tarantino - Simply the best - whether you love him or hate him he's got the gift and he's isn't afraid of a damn thing (i.e. Jackie Brown as the follow up film to Pulp Fiction).

Last edited by Rival11; 04-02-04 at 07:13 PM.
Old 04-03-04, 12:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Rival11
Yeah, most of the directors in this poll aren't young - but I would (and did) vote for Quentin - and not just because he's my favorite director either:

Wes Anderson - I find his films quite lacking in the area of actually caring about what's going on.

P.T. Anderson - I could go on for days about this guy but that's what Magnolia is for. He's full of too much symbolism and relies on it way too much, I always find myself asking for more out of his characters.

Darren Aronofsky - Now we're talking, a bold to director to say the least but It kind of feels like he doesn't want to change direction and try new things - time will easily tell with him though.

Sofia Coppola - I loved lost in Translation and I'm sure she will have more great films to follow but it's too early to tell.

David Fincher - great director all around, his films speak for themselves and he's one of the best directors today.

Chris Nolan - Sorry, I hated Memento & Insomnia.

Quentin Tarantino - Simply the best - whether you love him or hate him he's got the gift and he's isn't afraid of a damn thing (i.e. Jackie Brown as the follow up film to Pulp Fiction).
I agree with you completely, except for the following;

Wes Anderson - Love Wes, and I do care, extroadinarily talented.

P.T. Anderson - Heavy on symbolism? yes, not always a bad thing though. For a movie with so many characyers, I felt the Magnolia characters were quite well rounded, excellent acting all around.

Darren Aronofsky - Great potential, need to see more. Try new things? Pi and Requiem seemed quite different to me.

Sofia Coppola - Agree.

David Fincher - Loved Fight Club, HATED ALIEN 3, Panic Room was nothing special. The Best? not by a long shot.

Chris Nolan - Love Memento! Insomnia was okay.

Quentin Tarantino - Jackass with one great movie to his credit.

Ok, so I disagree with you almost completely.
Old 04-03-04, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Joe Carnahan (Narc) is very promising.
Old 04-03-04, 11:24 AM
Suspended

Yeah, I'll love Wes too when he stops framing his shots so horribly.
Old 04-03-04, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by NenHatling
Yeah, I'll love Wes too when he stops framing his shots so horribly.
Interesting, cuz I love how his shots are framed. Could you maybe expand on this, with some examples. I'm always interested in different views then my own.

Most promising young, I'd say Richard Kelly.
Old 04-03-04, 12:33 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

this is almost too hard to decide. i love every single one of these directors!
Old 04-03-04, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by talemyn
Overall: David Gordon Green . . .

Mainstream: Kevin Smith . . .
I saw this little guy on another forum and thought of you. ......

As for the topic at hand, I'd have to say Fincher followed by P.T.
Old 04-04-04, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by DVD-ho78(DTS)
I saw this little guy on another forum and thought of you. ......
<SAVED>

Periods and commas are so boring . . . it's all about elipses . . .
Old 04-04-04, 03:06 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by PacMan2006
Not sure if it was mentioned, but what about Antione Fuqua? This guy directed Traning Day, Tears of the Sun, and the upcoming King Arthur. Guy looks no older than 35 and is just starting out I believe.

I think the jury is still out - I wouldn't call either of his 2 films well directed. Both were dominated by the 'stars.'

And I'm sure that Wes Anderson post about framing is a joke. Unless the meaning was that he spends too much effort in framing.

Last edited by MrN; 04-04-04 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-05-04, 01:15 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Most of the "young directors" in the list above are about the same age - but they're still all part of the current garde of hot talent (well, not Aronofsky, who hasn't really had his star rise yet).

What about Richard Kelly?
Old 04-09-04, 01:41 PM
Banned

David Fincher is in his 40s I believe. Didn't he direct a Billy Idol 80s video? When you say young I think of Jake Kasdan who did the brilliant Zero Effect.