Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What's The Big Deal With Greedo Shooting First?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What's The Big Deal With Greedo Shooting First?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-04, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How is the quality of the OT DVD on eBay? I noticed they are available in 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen and DD 2.0. Anyone own this trilogy that can vouch for the quality? I think I may do this instead of wait, and get the SEs.
Old 03-31-04, 04:38 PM

Why do people hate it? Because Han shooting first was fun and unexpected, while Greedo shooting first is boring and conventional.

In other words, people hate it because it sums up the curdling of George Lucas's imagination in one single scene.
Old 03-31-04, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's a whole host of things that I like about the Special Editions in terms of graphical enhancements to ships and technical corrections. But there are three things that prevent me from enjoying it at all.

Star Wars: Greedo shooting first
Empire: Luke's girly scream
Jedi: And just what the hell is that musical scene?

Some people also have a problem with the Jabba scene in Star Wars, although I don't hate that with the vitriol that the three I listed warrant.
Old 03-31-04, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally posted by NaturalMystic79
How is the quality of the OT DVD on eBay? I noticed they are available in 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen and DD 2.0. Anyone own this trilogy that can vouch for the quality? I think I may do this instead of wait, and get the SEs.
The ebay ones are NON-anamorphic - but they're bootlegs, so therefore, illegal.
Old 03-31-04, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Indeed, what's the big deal? So why change it in the first place?
Old 03-31-04, 07:55 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For me it doesn't look natural, I think Lucas went overboard on this scene, should of left it the way it was.
Old 03-31-04, 08:53 PM

Originally posted by Breakfast with Girls
There's a whole host of things that I like about the Special Editions . . . . . .Empire: Luke's girly scream. . .

Thank heavens someone else has issues with that. That was the biggest dissapointment; coming up to that defining scene, and then suddenly hearing a cheerleader start screaming all the way down the shaft.

I was like " . . . wha?. . ."

Don't take a character defining moment, such as that one, and turn it into a "whoops, I slipped and fell" moment.

Yikes.
Old 03-31-04, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I agree. Although Greedo shooting first totally changes the way we feel about Han's character, what bothers me the most is Luke's scream when he falls down the shaft. It's not like he was pushed down, he chose to fall. Why would he scream? Did he change his mind at the last second?
Old 03-31-04, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There's a whole host of things that I like about the Special Editions . . . . . .Empire: Luke's girly scream. . .

Did you ever notice that scream is the SAME scream of the Emperor when Darth threw him down the shaft? Lucas just re-used the same scream. What a dildo.
Old 04-01-04, 12:04 AM

The whole point of the SE's was to make money rather than improve the product. He added scenes because he claimed he wanted to flesh out the story or whatever reason he gave. However, in the end, the changes were incredibly trivial and pointless. Greedo shooting first. More of the snow monster. Fireworks in different worlds. Making the pit monster into the Little Shop of Horrors plant. A stupid song number. The Jaba scene was the only plot addition from what I recall and it was pretty mediocre.

It's his product and he can do what he pleases, but I would really prefer to purchase a DVD of the original unaltered trilogy than the SE's. To me, they're not all that special.

As for this specific point, I would concur that it slightly alters his character development. In the end, I would agree that it's not a huge deal. But, then again, isn't that my point from above? Why change it? Just to say something was changed and thus the product is new rather than just the same old thing?
Old 04-01-04, 03:31 AM

What's the big deal with 'Greedo Shooting'? It looks so fake!!! I mean Solo's head slide over his neck like on thin ice. Really bad editing.
Old 04-01-04, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally posted by Pants
Where in the world did your information come from?!

First of all we're talking about the "Jedi Rocks" musical number in Jaba's Palace. You seem to be talking about the old song that was sung at the conclusion of the film. This song did not contain the words "Celebrate The Lord".

It's like you're trying to invent your own urban legend.
I was referring to the Ewok celebration at the end...and in the original version, the song did indeed contain the words "Celebrate the Lord". It's what the choir is repeating three times before the end credits come up. Check your laserdiscs. The Ewok song in the Special Editions is a completely different tune now.

I don't have a problem with the "Jedi Rocks" version, by the way.

I believe the complaints were posted in Starlog magazine...this was pre-internet, so I'm sure it was a fanzine of some sort.

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 04-01-04 at 05:04 AM.
Old 04-01-04, 06:14 AM

Indeed, what's the big deal? So why change it in the first place?
Reading back through the thread, that's probably the best point of all.
Old 04-01-04, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by yecul
The whole point of the SE's was to make money rather than improve the product.
Old 04-01-04, 10:45 AM

I always thought those punk Ewok bastards were singing "Celebrate with us."
Old 04-01-04, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Greedo shooting first makes Han a politically correct character in terms of self-defense over ruthless self-preservation. It's sort of like when Spielberg changes the guns in the FBI agents' hands to walkie-talkies in "E.T." re-release.
Old 04-01-04, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
It's sort of like when Spielberg changes the guns in the FBI agents' hands to walkie-talkies in "E.T." re-release.
Hmmm. Please don't hate me. But I didn't have a problem with the walkie talkies. Steven just realized that it's silly to think that cops would pull guns on kids who are fleeing on their bicycles.

But thumbs down to enhancing movies in general. I mean, what's to stop directors from reshooting entire scenes a year after they realized they made a mistake? Just seems a bit lazy to me.

Oh, and with all the internet bashing, I don't think it will ever be possible for George Lucas to reclaim his status of being a genius filmmaker. I mean, when the rereleases were in the theaters, my geeky Star-Wars-lovin' friends weren't spazzing out about the silly little changes. They were just indifferent. But then comes all of the internet bashing and, all the sudden, everyone hates the special editions, hates Lucas, etc.

Can't we all just get along?
Old 04-01-04, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
NO FAST EWOKS!
Old 04-01-04, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by troystiffler
I mean, when the rereleases were in the theaters, my geeky Star-Wars-lovin' friends weren't spazzing out about the silly little changes. They were just indifferent. But then comes all of the internet bashing and, all the sudden, everyone hates the special editions, hates Lucas, etc.
When I saw the first SW SE in the theater I vowed to not see the next two when they came out. The changes were/are stupid and pointless for the most part. I can understand and somewhat forgive cleaning up effects and the like, but to change somewhat key moments in a characters development is just pointless.

Plenty of people I know were "spazzing" out about the changes regardless of if they were people with internet connections or not.
Old 04-01-04, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Patman
Greedo shooting first makes Han a politically correct character in terms of self-defense over ruthless self-preservation. It's sort of like when Spielberg changes the guns in the FBI agents' hands to walkie-talkies in "E.T." re-release.
Exactly. The Greedo change dampens the character development of Han. We're supposed to see him tranform from ruthless and selfish scoundrel to a heroic savior...the impact is lessened with Greedo shooting first.
Old 04-01-04, 11:42 AM

I have to say that the ET thing was probably a change that was needed. A kids film with guns is a definite no-no in this mad, politically correct world.

Consider me a picture of completly unsurprised on that one.
Old 04-01-04, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by vedderstapp
I have to say that the ET thing was probably a change that was needed. A kids film with guns is a definite no-no in this mad, politically correct world.

The wording of your post makes it seem like you are against political correctness...but why would you say that it was a change that was needed?

Maybe you are for political correctness and I am misreading your post.
Old 04-01-04, 11:48 AM

im so far behind.. im like the guy (or kid) who comes in late like.. "uhhh.. what'd i miss", then everyone takes a shot at him.. i guess the reason im posting is because i never understod what the hell ben affleck was talking about ("greedo shooting first") in jay and silent bob strike back.. i guess greedo's "shot heard round the world" has more of a fanbase/bash then i thought..

aside from that, i never saw the SEs in the theatres.. can anyone post a link or address that would let me in on all the changes from the original release.. i imagine its probably some sort of star wars fan website. im now looking forward to seeing greedo shooting first to see what the hype is all about..
Old 04-01-04, 11:49 AM

and if greedo shooting first is only on the SE, whats on the original? is that whole scene new?
Old 04-01-04, 11:53 AM

Willy you're out of your element here
Dude, money isn't the issue here. the other versions, the original versions. it's about leaving them the hell alone...........also dude Lucas is not the perfered nominclature Luca$ please

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.