Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

X3 (X-Men 3) (Brett Ratner - Director) (merged)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

X3 (X-Men 3) (Brett Ratner - Director) (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-03, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Questions About X-Men 3...

1. Do we know if Singer is directing again?

2. Any chance we'll see Gambit or Sentinels?

3. Is Halle Berry playing Storm still?

4. Is Lady Deathstrike definitely dead?

5. I know this is beating a dead horse, but, can someone briefly explain the connection between Jean Grey and Phoniex, and how she can die and come back (I didn't read too much of the comics, I watched to cartoon show).

Thanks.
Old 11-29-03, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 624 Likes on 482 Posts
1. Very likely.

2. Supposedly them two and the Danger Room (it was built and used in the trailers for X2 but the scenes of it in the film were left unfinished).

3. Rumoured to be no. Too bad since she was good in X2and she'd get more screentime now that Jean is out of the way (if the screenwritters pursue a particular pairing from the comics), which would have made her happy.

4. Unknown.

5. The comic origin is not the same of the movies. In the comics Phoenix was an enitity that "replaced" Jean. In the movies, Phoenix is a further mutation in Jean caused by Magneto's machine in X-Men.
Old 11-29-03, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Singer has said that he doesn't want to make the movies a slew of character and no plot. I would really doubt that we'd see any more characters than the ones we've already been introduced to. I foresee bigger roles for Iceman and Rouge, as well as Pyro and perhaps Collosus. But I would be surprised to see Gambit unless it's a really small "cameo" type part.
Old 11-29-03, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Re: Questions About X-Men 3...

Originally posted by PacMan2006
1. Do we know if Singer is directing again?
I don't think anything is settled, but it appears so

2. Any chance we'll see Gambit or Sentinels?
I think there's a reasonable chance

3. Is Halle Berry playing Storm still?
Doubtful. I guess you never know, but she is not signed for a third movie (nor are Jackman, Stewart, McKellan, or Marsden). They may re-cast the part or more likely no include Storm in Halle is indeed out.

4. Is Lady Deathstrike definitely dead?
Probably. Although there's certainly more that can be done with her character, I guess there's only so much one can do in the movies and somethings have to be cut w/ so many characters
Old 11-30-03, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Screw Halle Berry. She is getting too big of an ego wanting the movie to have her as the main star. Her role was big enough in X2. If it is the same in X3, then that shoud be enough.
I say just have Storn not be in X3. No reason every single character from the first 2 be in part 3.
Old 11-30-03, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
Regarding Phoenix:

In its original iteration, Jean Grey sacrificed herself around issues 100/101 of "Uncanny X-Men."

What happened was that the X-Men of the time (Jean, Scott, Logan, Kurt, Colossus, Storm) were aboard a doomed space shuttle. Jean was the only one who could pilot it safely (either due to her telekinesis, or by telepathically reading how to from an unconscious pilot). She sent the others to safety as the shuttle crashed into the ocean. And she was believed to be dead.

It was soon shown that Jean had willed herself back to life, taken on new and considerably stronger powers, and proclaimed herself to be "The Phoenix."

A few years later, she was killed off (for reasons I won't get into.)

Anyway -- and this is where it gets muddy -- Marvel was releasing a new book called "X-Factor." This series was to have reunited the original five X-Men: Cyclops, Beast, Angel, Iceman, and Marvel Girl (Jean Grey). The Avengers discovered a large cocoon at the bottom of the ocean in the same place the space shuttle was destroyed. They took it to the Fantastic Four so Reed Richards could examine it, and Jean Grey was found inside. What had "really" happened was that just before her death, she was encountered by an alien lifeforce called "The Phoenix Force." This entity sealed her body up in the cocoon and then took on her form and identity.

If the Phoenix is explored at all in the next film, I suspect they will not introduce the alien "Phoenix Force" and have Phoenix simply be Jean Grey willed back to life.
Old 11-30-03, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I imagine Storm will be out the next movie around. Halle Berry really has no reason to do that part unless it is larger. Sure everyone harps on her for having such a big ego, but really if the part isn't larger why should she do the part. She wouldn't be doing it for the art, and she certainly can demand a larger role, so she should probably move on.

Gambit...I have to imagine he should be in. And hopefully singer too...I like having franchise pictures have a...consistency to them. So here's hoping he stays.
Old 11-30-03, 12:53 AM

What about plot? I think that something to do with Apocalypse would be great but probably wishful thinking.
Old 11-30-03, 05:41 AM
Banned

I'd be happy if they re-cast Storm...
Old 11-30-03, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would be happy with gambit in.
Old 11-30-03, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Originally posted by resinrats
Screw Halle Berry. She is getting too big of an ego wanting the movie to have her as the main star. Her role was big enough in X2. If it is the same in X3, then that shoud be enough.
I say just have Storn not be in X3. No reason every single character from the first 2 be in part 3.

Sigh-----

What star doesn't have a big head?

For many years Storm has been a major character. The series on the WB network has her as high ranking X-man second only to Prof X. So why not in the movies? I'll bet if Storm was played by some actress like Jennifer Connely or some other young chick you guys wouldn't even bitch about her Ego.....
Old 11-30-03, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
I'd be happy if they re-cast Storm...
I thought Hally Berry was much more comfortable as Storm this time around. If she's willing to work as part of an ensemble cast, there's no reason to get rid of her.

If she's unwilling to do so, and if they do intend on making this a continuing series as opposed to just a trilogy, they should replace her.

As for Gambit, I could really care less. I'd like to see Colossus "graduate" to X-Man status along with Iceman. Rogue needs to meet Ms. Marvel.
Old 11-30-03, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Wow that alien Phoenix thing has to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard. If they use that plot...

INSTANT DEATH OF A FRANCHISE

period.
Old 11-30-03, 03:54 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
Wow that alien Phoenix thing has to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard. If they use that plot...

INSTANT DEATH OF A FRANCHISE

period.

erm, I take it your're not much of a fan of the comics. The Pheonix storyline is considered by ardent fans to be one of the very high points of the X-men comics. Personally I think it would make a spectacular, if somewhat dark and down, film.
Old 11-30-03, 04:44 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Pauly
erm, I take it your're not much of a fan of the comics. The Pheonix storyline is considered by ardent fans to be one of the very high points of the X-men comics. Personally I think it would make a spectacular, if somewhat dark and down, film.
I concur. Why get into this discuss when you're one of those people who don't even read comics? Shut the hell up if all you do is bashing something you have absolutely no knowledge of.
Old 11-30-03, 06:02 PM

Beast and The Danger room have been talked about by the producers as things they want.
Old 11-30-03, 06:03 PM

Originally posted by RocShemp
1. Very likely.

2. Supposedly them two and the Danger Room (it was built and used in the trailers for X2 but the scenes of it in the film were left unfinished).

3. Rumoured to be no. Too bad since she was good in X2and she'd get more screentime now that Jean is out of the way (if the screenwritters pursue a particular pairing from the comics), which would have made her happy.

4. Unknown.

5. The comic origin is not the same of the movies. In the comics Phoenix was an enitity that "replaced" Jean. In the movies, Phoenix is a further mutation in Jean caused by Magneto's machine in X-Men.
I see Deathstrike popping up in the Wolvereine film, through a story flashback maybe.
Old 11-30-03, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally posted by FuzzyBallz
I concur. Why get into this discuss when you're one of those people who don't even read comics? Shut the hell up if all you do is bashing something you have absolutely no knowledge of.
Who's bashing who? All I said is that is a bad idea. I'm not in a comic book forum. This is a MOVIE forum. In it we discuss, follow me here, MOVIES. The Phoenix (alien version) was brought up and I think it is a ridiculous idea that would never fly with a general audience. Unless they want to dimish their returns and cater only to comic book geeks I think this alien idea will never fans. The fun of these movies is that they appeal to more people than comic fans. Simple as that. How is that bashing?

Or are we not allowed to post opinions anymore?

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 11-30-03 at 06:11 PM.
Old 11-30-03, 06:21 PM

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
Who's bashing who? All I said is that is a bad idea. I'm not in a comic book forum. This is a MOVIE forum. In it we discuss, follow me here, MOVIES. The Phoenix (alien version) was brought up and I think it is a ridiculous idea that would never fly with a general audience. Unless they want to dimish their returns and cater only to comic book geeks I think this alien idea will never fans. The fun of these movies is that they appeal to more people than comic fans. Simple as that. How is that bashing?

Or are we not allowed to post opinions anymore?
I don't think that'll happen, but it will feature in a more better storyline, I see mutant control agency, I see Beast maybe in court, I see friends of humanity trashing the court stuff, x men protecting the proceedings, I see sentinals attacking mutants, I see X Men trying battling their own kind to prevent a war with humans, and the phonix thing I see as something of a subplot that interweaves with wolverine and cylops who become better friends.

My guess, because even though the xmen in X2 had to prevent this william styker doing his stuff, wolverine had his own stuff going on, so did Jean and Scott, so did rogue and iceman etc, the phenix thing won't be the highlight, we'll probabley see her helping the xmen out in a different storyline, that I said above.

Last edited by SeanValen; 11-30-03 at 06:23 PM.
Old 11-30-03, 06:33 PM

Opps, I think I should add, Phoenix likely won't help the xmen, we saw the good phoenix in X2, I think dark phoenix might pop up in X3, and that will be more exciting, maybe helping Magetto, or someone else luring her to do thier deeds. This makes more sense. In what might be a bigger storyline, Scott and Logan and the x team have to fight jean grey as dark phoenix, but as I say before, this will be a interweaved with a bigger storyline of Magetto's doings vs Xavier's men, pyrol will have a fight with iceman, likely, and all this is linked to the previous two films storyline.

My best guess.
Old 11-30-03, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally posted by Pauly
I always thought that the Phoenix Saga was the period from 100 to 137 where Phoenix is born, Jean struggles with her new powers, she experiences the pinnacle of the phoenix power, and the desire to experience that again creates Dark Phoenix, who devours D'Bari and eventuallly
Spoiler:
sacrifices herself to save the x-men and the entire universe

I always thought it cheapened the whole thing to bring Jean Grey back soap opera style.

I would love to see the Phoenix Saga done right, and I think Singer and this cast could pull it off.
Old 11-30-03, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
The "alien" Phoenix was ultimately a plot device used in the comics books to bring Jean Grey back to life.

While it looks like they're going to have a Phoenix-type plotline in the movies, I doubt they'd bother to drag the alien Phoenix into it. There's really no reason for them to. I suspect that they'll stick with something roughly similar to what happened in the comics from Uncanny X-Men 101-137.
Old 11-30-03, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
ok, I just watched X2 again today, and I have a question, more comic related, but still...
Lady Deathstrike is who?

Isn't she a past girlfriend of Logan. If so, was the one who married Logan circa Issue 172? Or was she the other "superhero" in the Frank Miller "Wolverine" miniseries?
I stopped reading comics right around the time Lady Deathstrike came about, and have never been able to figure out her place in Logan's past.
Thanks
Old 11-30-03, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Neitzl
ok, I just watched X2 again today, and I have a question, more comic related, but still...
Lady Deathstrike is who?

Isn't she a past girlfriend of Logan. If so, was the one who married Logan circa Issue 172? Or was she the other "superhero" in the Frank Miller "Wolverine" miniseries?
I stopped reading comics right around the time Lady Deathstrike came about, and have never been able to figure out her place in Logan's past.
Thanks
Lady Deathstrike, a.k.a. Yuriko Oyama, was indeed married to Wolverine at one time. At the end of the Frank Miller limited series there was an invitation on the last page to their wedding that all the X-Men were looking at. Now forgive me but it's been a while, when her father died she blamed his death on Wolverine. She then underwent treatment at "the Body Shop" (it's been a long time since I've read these, and if you'll forgive me I'll pull out the old Marvel Universe issues later if I need to edit this) to have Adamantium fused to her skeleton as well adding the talons from her finger nails.

I did infact like the way they did Jean Grey's transformation into the Phoenix at the end of X2. If they adhered to the comic then they'd have to introduce the Shi'ar, Corsair, the Starjammers, the Kree, the Skrull...it would have taken too long and would have been too big a mess to explain all those different characters, who they were and how they were important to the plot. This way was simpler and still retained the spirit of the character from comic.

There's been talk actually of having Beast in the next movie. He was actually in X2 (when Rebecca Romijn was in the bar a "Dr. Henry McCoy" was giving a television interview). They've done the concept art for the character for the first film. I'm hoping he makes it into the next one.
Old 11-30-03, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We know that Stryker said that some things have already been started and others will finish it up. They do show Project WideAWake on stryker's computer which I believe was the Sentinel project??? Anyone confirm that?

I would to see the X-men vs. the Sentinels and only Phoenix can help save the day! As for new characters... I think there is enough. Maybe do more of Colossus and more nightcrawler. I really liked that guy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.