Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Dawn of the Dead Questions...need answering

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Dawn of the Dead Questions...need answering

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-04, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Because the mall security capped him. It went like this:

they give the commands to everyone to do there job, they go out looking through the mall and find there buddy who is in the fountain. They cap him in the head. Next shot you see is a panning shot outside of the store where the partially eaten zombie was in the closet. You see a flash and hear gun fire. This is to tell the viewers that the partially eaten guy has been taken care of. In the same store there is an already taken care of zombie with a mallet in his head. So that gun fire can only be for that one guy jake saw being eaten. Next shot is of the "prisioners" painting on the roof.

The guy in the broom closet being eaten was taken care of.
Yes, we know. But why didn't the zombie (that the mall security killed) attack Jake in the inital fight? This was before they even met the mall security -- remember?

Let me further clarify by setting up the scenes. Jake and Andre go to check the doors. Jake goes inside the Flex store, Andre checks the doors and sees a zombie crash into the glass. Back in the Flex store, Jake trades the crowbar for a croquet mallet and makes his way to a closet where he hears noises. Upon opening the closet door, he finds one zombie eating a man. The zombie jumps up and, after a brief struggle, gets the croquet mallet under his chin. Jake leaves the store. However, the half-eaten man definitely would have turned before or right after the initial struggle was done. So, why did that partially eaten man not attack Jake at the same time or immediately after Jake killed the first zombie? Of course, after they re-group and meet the mall security, the guards go downstairs and dispose of the half-eaten man while the other zombie is dead.

You see, it's difficult to tell why there weren't two zombies in the fight against Jake. My guess: it would've killed him off way too early.

Last edited by fallow; 03-27-04 at 02:28 PM.
Old 03-27-04, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Potentially dumb question: what was it that caused the dead to come alive in the first place? I don't recall that ever being mentioned. Also, is there a possibility that we should view the Night of the Living Dead re-make as a prequel to this movie?
Old 03-27-04, 02:29 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
Also, is there a possibility that we should view the Night of the Living Dead re-make as a prequel to this movie?
No. There are no connections between the two films.

I received a bunch of hate mail from fanboys about my review telling me I missed this little detail. But there is NOTHING that links the two films.
Old 03-27-04, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They don't ever explain it in this movie, but I think they avoided explanation to highlight how quickly the disease spread. There was no time to find out. Potential commentary on over-population? Probably not but it works.
Old 03-27-04, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You see, it's difficult to tell why there weren't two zombies in the fight against Jake
Because the door closes? There are way to many "what if's" in that situation. It's easy to suffice that the door was opened by the victim and then the zombie jumped in. the door closed (cause hell, zombies don't have the sense to be private in there eating) and so the two are sort of locked in there. Jake opens the door and the eater comes rushing out, the door closes and the soon to be dead/turning zombie is stuck in there and the fight between jake and the eater goes on. Security later goes down and caps the guy locked in the closet.
Old 03-27-04, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Aw, I didn't notice that the door closed after the zombie jumped out.

And I'm going to re-ask these questions that were on the bottom of the first page because they may not have been seen after I made a second post that carried to the next page.

Another question that I don't think anyone can really answer: At what point does a zombie stop eating someone? For example, had Vivian not been pushed back and the bedroom door closed, she would have continued chewing on Louis. Do they turn and the zombies just stop?

And it sounded like the zombies started feasting on the corpses they threw off the roof, so why wouldn't they start eating the killed celebrities? Of course, it is possible that the zombies were simply screeching because something landed on their heads.

Last edited by fallow; 03-27-04 at 03:35 PM.
Old 03-27-04, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Originally posted by fallow
Oh, I know; I should've included: "What Giantrobo was saying!" That was for Jack.

Another question that I don't think anyone can really answer: At what point does a zombie stop eating someone? For example, had Vivian not been pushed back and the bedroom door closed, she would have continued chewing on Louis. Do they turn and the zombies just stop?

And it sounded like the zombies started feasting on the corpses they threw off the roof, so why wouldn't they start eating the killed celebrities? Of course, it is possible that the zombies were simply screeching because something landed on their heads.

1. interesting question. In the book by Brian Keene called "The Rising" The dead only took enough to satisfy their hunger...but they left enough for the body to re-animate. The reason behind that was
Spoiler:
the bodies where being re-animated by demonic beings and they were leaving dead bodies ready for their brethren who needed one to live on Earth
But in the "DAWN 04" universe or Romero universe one would think they would eat until most of the meat was gone and if the zombie group was small or a single zombie did the killing perhaps enough would be left behind for the body to re-animate? In the apartment basement of "DAWN 77" zombies were knawing on body parts that were almost to the bone. I figure if Romero had the budget and ability back then we probably would've seen some skeletal zombies with enough muscle to move around. but with great big missing areas. In "DAY" the opening sequence had the zombie missing it's lower jaw.

Frankly those skeletal zombies scare me more than "fresh zombies".

2. Zombie don't eat "zombie meat" according to the Romero Universe. Another example of this was in "DAWN 77" when Roger comes back and the zombies that were after him outside the elevator lose interest once they realize he's a zombie.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 03-27-04 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-27-04, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
What was the alleged connection between NOTLD '90 and DOTD '04?
Old 03-28-04, 02:22 PM

OKay, nobody asked this yet...

1. How do they get into the freaking mall in the first place?
Do they shoot out a window, thus leaving a way for the dead to get in? Did they shoot the lock off a door, thus leaving a way for the dead to get in? They just show Rhames throwing a toilet through the store window to the inner part of the mall, but never show them actually getting into the fixture store.

2. Is there a reason the zombies on the first floor in the beginning were unable to get to the upper floors? Every mall has escalators, would have been difficult to block those off succesfully.

3. I thought it was Missouri that the movie took place in, or was it Minnesota? I suppose there could be small islands, especially if it is Minnesota (land of 10,000 lakes) and I guess the Lake water would be potable, but since they were outta food and the boat was no longer functioning I guess the end sorta says they are screwed. Unless they could shove off before the dead reached them and they had fishing poles. But once winter arrives, they are dead. Was that a question, I'm not even sure.
Old 03-28-04, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Do they shoot out a window, thus leaving a way for the dead to get in? Did they shoot the lock off a door, thus leaving a way for the dead to get in? They just show Rhames throwing a toilet through the store window to the inner part of the mall, but never show them actually getting into the fixture store.
Just because you don't see them do something does not mean it wasn't implied. Just like when Jake tells the mall security guard to board up any possible weak spots. I'm sure you can read between the line and assume that atleast one of those weak spots was the area where they busted in through.

I'm amazed that a lot of these little nit pickings are being brought up. Most films want you to make the assumption or the connection that something was taken care of. It would be rather silly to assume that when they get in the mall they WOULDN'T have blocked the enterence they got in if they are looking around for other possible openings.
Old 03-28-04, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Just because you don't see them do something does not mean it wasn't implied. Just like when Jake tells the mall security guard to board up any possible weak spots. I'm sure you can read between the line and assume that atleast one of those weak spots was the area where they busted in through.

I'm amazed that a lot of these little nit pickings are being brought up. Most films want you to make the assumption or the connection that something was taken care of. It would be rather silly to assume that when they get in the mall they WOULDN'T have blocked the enterence they got in if they are looking around for other possible openings.
Just seems like the undead could have gotten into the mall the same way Ving an company did. There may not have been as many zombies there, but there still were some.

not sure how well shatterproof glass holds up to shotguns either.

My wife now tells me the movie took place in Wisconsin.

Liked the movie, by the way.

And I too was surprised Andy didnt shoot all the dead with his Tens of thousands of bullets.
Old 03-28-04, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by rushmore223

2. Is there a reason the zombies on the first floor in the beginning were unable to get to the upper floors? Every mall has escalators, would have been difficult to block those off succesfully.

3. I thought it was Missouri that the movie took place in, or was it Minnesota? I suppose there could be small islands, especially if it is Minnesota (land of 10,000 lakes) and I guess the Lake water would be potable, but since they were outta food and the boat was no longer functioning I guess the end sorta says they are screwed. Unless they could shove off before the dead reached them and they had fishing poles. But once winter arrives, they are dead. Was that a question, I'm not even sure.
1) they could've shotgunned open a back service door and then easily blocked it from the inside.

2) Good question.

3) The flag flying in front of the hospital at the beginning of the movie shows "Wisconsin", If I remember correctly.
Old 03-28-04, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just seems like the undead could have gotten into the mall the same way Ving an company did. There may not have been as many zombies there, but there still were some.

not sure how well shatterproof glass holds up to shotguns either.

My wife now tells me the movie took place in Wisconsin.

Liked the movie, by the way.

And I too was surprised Andy didnt shoot all the dead with his Tens of thousands of bullets.
i assumed they found an open door, a service enterance. they then could of locked the door behind them. or they simple could of broken the lock and then use items to make sure the door couldn't be opened again from the outside.

there weren't many zombies in the mall since the mall was closed and locked for the most part. just 4 guards and i guess 2 janitors.

a better question would be why any zombies were IN the mall. i guess a janitor might of been bit in the parking lot when showing up for work.

i don't think there is any link to Night of the Living Dead or its remake in dawn 04. the only kind link would be the dead started turning into zombie the night before. if you recall the was a radio news alert and a tv one which were both ignored/missed by polly and her husband. essentially they slept blissfully unaware that Night of the Living Dead was going on, and wake up to Dawn of the Dead.
Old 03-28-04, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

That's what I'm saying! tons of bullets and tons of guns. That area would have been easy pickings if you ask me.

And what kind of respectable gun store doesn't have the tolken huge ass gun on the rack for show? I'm sure he had a mini gun or some high powerful explosives there.
Old 03-29-04, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You see how many zombies there were when the vans pulled out? , I dont think he had enough ammo for all of them, at least not enough to do any damage before fatigue set in.
Old 06-07-04, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

alright i saw this finally last weekend at the dollar theater. i have one little question. sarah washes the blood off of her arms in the mall's fountain, and they show the water in a slow-mo kind of way and play a wierd note on the music. the blood was from her husband, so i assumed it was infected. then ving fights the zombie and cuts his arm as he's falling into the fountain. at that point i had assumed that he was infected and by the end of the movie that he would have zombified. it never happened though.
alright it was of an observation that a question. did anyone else think that ving was going to badify by the end of the movie from this?
Old 06-07-04, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Oh jesus, this thread came back from the dead! Shoot it in the head!

Ving cut his arm on the fountain metal piece and not by a zombie bite. thus no zombification.
Old 06-08-04, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 127 Posts
Ha - gotta love these millions of Dawn of the Dead threads.
Old 06-08-04, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

this should of went into the offical thread.
Old 06-08-04, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

do you mean the one and only official? or the created before release official thread? Or did you mean the non-official but more informative thread.
Old 06-08-04, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i meant the really really official 20/20 hinsight thread, which i am going to shortly create.
Old 06-08-04, 01:40 AM

they were all like three months old, i just picked one
Old 06-08-04, 07:41 AM

The movie took place in milwaukee(though not filmed there)so the lake must have been michigan part of the great lakes chain so there would have been big islands with actual towns on them
Old 06-08-04, 09:06 AM

did anyone else just want to kill the redhead for going after the stupid dog?
Old 06-08-04, 09:49 AM

Originally posted by bigsoos
did anyone else just want to kill the redhead for going after the stupid dog?

As for getting food to Andy, why didn't they try anything else out first? I would have looked for one of the huge water balloon sling shots. Even if it didn't make it, it would be fun to try out.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.