Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Horror movies . . . Yes or No?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Do you like watching horror movies?
I love 'em all! Give me more . . . MORE . . . MORE!!!
47.62%
I like the more thought-provoking, psychological, and/or suspenseful ones.
41.90%
I like the nasty, gruesome, slasher types.
10.48%
I love to be scared!
20.00%
No way! I hate getting scared!
3.81%
Nope . . . boooooring . . .
6.67%
I don't like them any more or less than any other movie . . .
6.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Horror movies . . . Yes or No?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-04, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
Horror movies?

Given my druthers, I'll take the whore.

(this joke works better spoken aloud)
It's ok, I got it.
Old 03-26-04, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
Horror movies?

Given my druthers, I'll take the whore.

(this joke works better spoken aloud)
Only with an AMERICAN accent...

I'll watch a bad horror movie longer than a bad movie from any other genre. Perhaps that's because you know something is going to happen... eventually... most likely involving a power saw or a large pair of scissors.

I don't enjoy the gory aspect of it, so much as the "we're all trapped in a cabin... wtf are we gonna do?" aspect...
Old 03-26-04, 01:20 PM
MSD

Horror is my favorite genre. They're plently of shitty horror flicks especially slasher flicks but for the most part i enjoy most of the horror genre output. Zombies, Giallos, Vampires, Werewolves, Psychological, Supernatural etc... It's all good to me.
Old 03-26-04, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I love them all. From the absolute classics (Nosferatu, Frankenstein) to the average (F13th sequels). More the merrier.
Last year, May was vastly undderlooked and might be a minor classic in the many years to come.
Granted the majority of horror movies released now are average to typical studio stuff, but if you look closely, their are some gems out there. Last year it was May, Bubba hoTep, and to me Willard, this year it looks like Shaun of the Dead and Haute Tension.
Old 03-27-04, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Mr. M
I don't know if she's single or not, but there is our very own WhoGirl
I'm single ever since I had to kill my last boyfriend the other day. Irreconcilable differences, my ass. I felt reconciled every time I slammed the knife into his chest.

So, how YOU doin' Dr. DVD?

Anyway, my take on horror: I don't watch it to get scared or to bring out my fear. I've been watching the most violent of violent movies since I was 12 when my dad told me not to watch the "Maniac" Laserdisc he got. Of course I did, solely because he told me not to.
Horror doesn't effect me like that anymore. I watch them because the macabre genre interests me. Watching graphic scenes of gore makes me appreciate how tame real-life is in comparison. The last two movies that made me slightly cringe were "Last House on the Left" and "I Spit on Your Grave" because both situations were extremely plausible. But even so, the revenge aspect was most gratifying.

If you can suspend disbelief, you can enjoy the horror more. Just as with any type of movie. Get this... most movies are based on **whispers** .... fiction! Claiming you can't get into horror because it's so unbelievable is not a valid reason. It's probably because blood and guts just aren't your 'thing.' That's understandable. My own mother said the cartoon logos on my website are "too gross." Whatever. Some get it; Some don't.
Old 03-27-04, 06:41 PM

Horror movies are great! I will say that the modern ones are a bit stupid and not much is coming out that is original. I like horror movies because I like to watch death come at people from all ways and forms. I like it especially when we get to see people really get f**ked up, like in candyman, hellraiser, or burial ground: the nights of terror! Do I like face's of death stuff, not really, but I do like to sit back and watch people get slaughtered in a theatrical way (especially stupid teenagers)!
Old 03-27-04, 06:47 PM

Originally posted by WhoGirl
my take on horror: I don't watch it to get scared or to bring out my fear. I've been watching the most violent of violent movies since I was 12 when my dad told me not to watch the "Maniac" Laserdisc he got. Of course I did, solely because he told me not to.
Horror doesn't effect me like that anymore. I watch them because the macabre genre interests me. Watching graphic scenes of gore makes me appreciate how tame real-life is in comparison. The last two movies that made me slightly cringe were "Last House on the Left" and "I Spit on Your Grave" because both situations were extremely plausible. But even so, the revenge aspect was most gratifying.
It's cool to see that a woman actually watched Last House and I spit all by themselves! Just to give you another title that you should watch, Burial Ground: the Nights of Terror. It's pretty sick, but satisfying.
Old 03-27-04, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No
Old 03-28-04, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Speaking of horror films I watched Dawn of the Dead at the theaters and then Vincent Price in House on Haunted Hill, Last Man on Earth, & The Bat tonight with a friend. I thought Haunted Hill & Dawn of the Dead were the best of the four with The Bat being almost unbearable. I didn't get scared at all with any of these four films which was one of only a few letdowns. Damn, it is really late and I don't know what I am getting at, but I'm glad you listened.
Old 03-28-04, 08:16 AM
tpc

While Horror Movies is a vague term, as a general rule I stay away from them.

They don't scare me, I just don't seem to enjoy them very much. Usually, if I'm not in a drama/action kind of mood, I'd rather enjoy a lighthearted comedy rather than something designed to frighten me. That's just me, though.
Old 03-28-04, 09:55 AM

I like the nasty, gruesome, slasher types.

lol
Old 03-28-04, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 206 Likes on 159 Posts

Confirms my suspicions. If you find a girl who is both attractive and likes horror, they are almost always the kind that are not too far from commiting the on-screen atrocities themselves.

Wonder if WhoGirl thought of auditioning for the role of Baby in House of 1000 Corpses?
Old 03-28-04, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,308 Likes on 952 Posts
Hey, "I love 'em all" has taken the lead in the poll

btw, that pic of WhoGirl is very cool... but gives me the heebie jeebies (in a good way)
Old 03-29-04, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm single ever since I had to kill my last boyfriend the other day. Irreconcilable differences, my ass. I felt reconciled every time I slammed the knife into his chest.

So, how YOU doin' Dr. DVD?
<talemyn carefully places his "polling clipboard" on the ground and slowly backs away from the thread . . .>
. . . The last two movies that made me slightly cringe were "Last House on the Left" and "I Spit on Your Grave" because both situations were extremely plausible. But even so, the revenge aspect was most gratifying.

If you can suspend disbelief, you can enjoy the horror more. Just as with any type of movie. Get this... most movies are based on **whispers** .... fiction! Claiming you can't get into horror because it's so unbelievable is not a valid reason . . .
Good fiction is believable. It'll make you buy into something that is obviously made up. The Blair Witch Project, even with some of it's flaws, had believable characters with, relatively believable reactions (although constantly carrying a camera during all of that was a bit of a stretch). April Fool's Day . . . a horror movie that I do enjoy . . . has a fairly believable story (especially after the climax). Final Destination . . . laughably unbelievable.

I think, for me at least, the believability comes in the reactions of the characters and the realism of the situation, taking into account the "rules" of the story and/or environment. If there is a character in a horror movie that is scared to death and yet they still keeps wandering around a haunted graveyard (instead of leaving), that is unbelievable. If there are a group of friends camping and they start dying off one-by-one, and yet they stay at the campground, that is unbelievable.

You even stated in your post that you got something more out Last House On The Left and I Spit On Your Grave because "both situations were extremely plausible".

So long story short . . . I still think that my claim that "I can't get into horror because it's so unbelievable" is a valid one.