Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Pulp Fiction, should it have won Best Picture [1994]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Pulp Fiction, should it have won Best Picture
Yes
48.84%
No, Forrest Gump was the rightful winner
29.46%
no, but Forrest Gump shouldn't have either
21.71%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Pulp Fiction, should it have won Best Picture [1994]

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-04, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,507 Posts
Pulp definitely should have won. I also think that Quiz Show and Shawshank were better films than Gump as well.
Old 03-23-04, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by chanster
What about versus LOTR?
Not really gonna work cuz they were released in different years so there's really not much controversy about the 2 pics.
Old 03-23-04, 07:00 PM
SeeNo Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A big NOOOO!!
Old 03-23-04, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
sure
Old 03-23-04, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tough call, so tough that you can't fault the academy. Feel good stuff versus junkies, homosexual rape and blood & guts. Not a condemenation mind you, but when the aged academy has to vote, it's no suprise which way they went. I"m reading Peter Biskind's new book and it's suprising to hear just how much negative feedback QT got from the indy community in the wake of Dogs, never mind Pulp.

What ever the debate, it's clearly between Gump and Pulp in my mind. Most people beef with Gump's schmaltz factor, which is high, but Shawshank could be the schmaltziest movie the "hip" community has ever embraced. At the end of the day, it's a debate not dissimilar from today, and movies are just as hard and foolish to compare. How do you compare ROTK and Lost in Trans? My personal favorite and rewatchable one will be Lost, but I agree and think ROTK deserved the Oscar because in my mind, achievment in epic, sweeping films deserves the Oscar, in a case of films being equal.

Gump hasn't aged well, but it is EPIC. Pulp is a phenomenal movie, and of the two, I'd take it to the desert isle, but in the probably the closest case in Oscar history, I would have given it to Gump, by a nose. Especially in 1994.
Old 03-23-04, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think I would have gone with Shawshank, but Pulp Fiction would have been next in line.
Old 03-24-04, 12:11 AM

Its gotta be Shawshank Redemption all the way.

It comes down to the fact that Pulp Fiction is (for its genre) near perfect, but Shawkshank IS perfect.

IMO, there is not a single flaw in Shawshank Redemption (storytelling, cinematography, direction, char motivation, ect). However in Pulp Fiction, there are (for me anyway) a couple of small problems with the film that keep it just behind SR.

In the old "in 20 years test", these are the two films that will be remembered. But, I think it will go something like this:

Pulp Fiction: Most Influential film of 1994.
Shawshank Redemption: Most loved/re-watched film of 1994.

So it comes down to the eternal debate. Is Best Picture an award for infulence... or for how much something moved you.

John
Old 03-24-04, 12:12 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
It's funny, because I always think of the Shawshank Redemption as a Best Picture winner, and then remember "Oh wait, that's right, it lost to Forrest Gump."

If it had come out in 1995, I think Shawshank would have beaten Braveheart.

It was just the year for Gump.
Old 03-24-04, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Porthos
Its gotta be Shawshank Redemption all the way.

It comes down to the fact that Pulp Fiction is (for its genre) near perfect, but Shawkshank IS perfect.

IMO, there is not a single flaw in Shawshank Redemption (storytelling, cinematography, direction, char motivation, ect). However in Pulp Fiction, there are (for me anyway) a couple of small problems with the film that keep it just behind SR.

In the old "in 20 years test", these are the two films that will be remembered. But, I think it will go something like this:

Pulp Fiction: Most Influential film of 1994.
Shawshank Redemption: Most loved/re-watched film of 1994.

So it comes down to the eternal debate. Is Best Picture an award for infulence... or for how much something moved you.

John
Perfect if you are willing to suspend disbelief to the point of lunacy/moronacy. Look, I enjoy the film, it's uplifting and feel good to the max, but the movie is so Stephen King, it's not funny. Logic leaps like the
Spoiler:
hole going unnoticed in the face of a-hole and lunactic random searches, Dufranse breaking metal pipes with cement, and many more.
. You could somewhat rightly argue that Pulp and Forrest make similar logical leaps, but at least they are explained and make sense in the universe the movie exists in. Those sorts of holes don't need to make it bad for you, and don't make it not a great movie, but they do, in my book, make it much less than perfect. And definately a step below the heavyweight contenders of 1994.
Old 03-24-04, 02:03 AM

Originally posted by Groucho
Annie Hall should have won.
Wait, Can I change my vote to Star Wars?!

Old 03-24-04, 02:20 AM
Banned

Gump showed history and it's more of an American film.
It had classic pop songs from the past.
I'm know what people don't like about Gump is the message the movie sends.
So for a movie to represent America the right movie won.
Old 03-24-04, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally posted by fumanstan
I think Gump deserved it. Although i can see how a case can be made for both Pulp Fiction and Shawshank. I love them all. But something about Gump always warms my heart
Old 03-24-04, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Gump represents America?

Well, I guess Bush is about as dumb and lucky as Gump...
Old 03-24-04, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Gump was a good choice for best picture. I would be content if Pulp Fiction or Shawshank Redemption win best picture.
Old 03-24-04, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I love Forrest Gump (Hanks is the man), Pulp Fiction and Shawshank's Redemption. Heck, I even enjoyed Quiz Show and Four weddings and a Funeral alot (although weddings is the classic filler that is lucky just to be nominated).

I think PF is the strongest of the 3, but FG is more family oriented, and SR is alittle too dark for the academy, I suppose. I still watch these 3 movies regularly, more so than the last few years POY (not including this year's Return of the King).

But yes, if I had to pick, I would vote for Pulp Fiction.
Old 03-24-04, 10:07 AM
Suspended

Hmmm... tough call. A film that glorifies sadistic, nauseating violence as a form of mainstream family entertainment and another one that glorifies idiocy, unsophistication, illiteracy and ignorance as the Bushian philosophy of what the well-governed people of the richest country in the world should be like. I think I'll go with Shawshank Redemption.

Last edited by baracine; 03-24-04 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-24-04, 10:10 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by baracine
A film that glorifies sadistic, nauseating violence as a form of mainstream family entertainment and another one that glorifies idiocy, unsophistication, illiteracy and ignorance as the Bushian philosophy of what the well-governed people of the richest country in the world should be like.
Based on the vitriol of your post, I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess you've seen neither film.
Old 03-24-04, 10:18 AM
Suspended

Based on the vitriol of your post, I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess you've seen neither film.
I've seen all the candidates of that year. And when I'm at it, Four Weddings and a Funeral, when all is said and done, is just another "dead homosexual" movie.
Old 03-24-04, 10:21 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Four Weddings and a Funeral, when all is said and done, is just another "dead homosexual" movie.
By definition, the "funeral" segment of the film takes up 1/5 of the film. In actuality, it takes up even less.
Old 03-24-04, 10:53 AM
Suspended

By definition, the "funeral" segment of the film takes up 1/5 of the film. In actuality, it takes up even less.
Still, four straight couples get their freak on while the flamboyant, stereotypical, dress/kilt-wearing gay character has to cash in his chips before the end. Cliché, anyone?

Last edited by baracine; 03-24-04 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-24-04, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts
It's a toss-up between Shawshank Redemption and Pulp Fiction... both of which deserved it more than Forrest Gump.

However, I would've nominated and awarded either Krzysztof Kieslowski's Rouge or Atom Egoyan's Exotica. Those 2 films are true masterpieces.
Old 03-24-04, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmm... tough call. A film that glorifies sadistic, nauseating violence as a form of mainstream family entertainment and another one that glorifies idiocy, unsophistication, illiteracy and ignorance as the Bushian philosophy of what the well-governed people of the richest country in the world should be like. I think I'l go with Shawshank Redemption.
actually, forrest gump came out in the clinton administration, and wheres the sadistic violence that is glorified as family entertainment in pulp fiction?
Old 03-24-04, 11:45 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Still, four straight couples get their freak on while the flamboyant, stereotypical, dress/kilt-wearing gay character has to cash in his chips before the end. Cliché, anyone?
Are you sure you're using the word "cliché" correctly? Something can only be a cliché if it's been done many many times before so that it's tired and hackneyed.

So, please, name 20 other films where a flamboyant, stereotypical, dress/kilt-wearing gay character has to cash in his chips before the end while four straight couples get their freak on.

Oh, heck, I'm feeling generous. Just name ten.
Old 03-24-04, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You know what I'm gonna say...

YES.
Old 03-24-04, 12:36 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by jough
Are you sure you're using the word "cliché" correctly? Something can only be a cliché if it's been done many many times before so that it's tired and hackneyed.

So, please, name 20 other films where a flamboyant, stereotypical, dress/kilt-wearing gay character has to cash in his chips before the end while four straight couples get their freak on.

Oh, heck, I'm feeling generous. Just name ten.
The proper question is this: Name any successful English-language film drama prior to that year involving both straight and gay characters where at least one of the gay characters doesn't die or disappear mysteriously as a condition for the climax.

I'll be generous. You can cheat by checking out the documentary The Celluloid Closet (1995) on that very subject.

BTW, there was a joke making the rounds around that time: "Why is Stargate like Four Weedings and A Funeral? Answer: The *** dies."

Last edited by baracine; 03-24-04 at 01:05 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.