Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

House of Wax re-make w/ Elisha Cuthbert and....Paris Hilton?!?!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

House of Wax re-make w/ Elisha Cuthbert and....Paris Hilton?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-05, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,269 Likes on 847 Posts
Originally Posted by maingon
having a single doesnt make her a musician
Neither does playing the male organ.
Old 10-29-05, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was browsing IMDB and noticed in the cast listing, they had Brian Van Holt playing both Bo and Vincent. I thought he was the Bo character only. Is this a mistake?
Old 10-29-05, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I was browsing IMDB and noticed in the cast listing, they had Brian Van Holt playing both Bo and Vincent. I thought he was the Bo character only. Is this a mistake?
Nope. He played them both. They were supposed to be identical twins.
Old 10-29-05, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Watched this last night...wasn't too bad, about what I expected. Paris did what she does best...look good and takes off most her clothes. How is it though that killers in these movies all have super strenght? The way Paris died would have took one hell of an arm to throw that pole thru two windows and then thru her forehead. Cuthburt getting her finger snipped off, for some reason, sent a shiver down my spine....jesus that would hurt lol
Old 10-30-05, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I found it suprisingly entertaining as well. The sets were amazing.

I've liked all of the Dark Castle films (except House on Haunted Hill). They're not great, but pretty darn good. (I watch the opening scene of Ghost Ship whenever it airs on cable)
Old 10-30-05, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
watched it tonight, it was pretty good, the bat to face scene was gruesome and Cuthberts bewbies looked glorious.
Old 10-31-05, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good stuff. Nice to see some good R-rated gore flicks coming back.
Old 10-31-05, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 209 Likes on 161 Posts
Watching it now as part of my Halloween Horror film fest. While it has some genuinely creepy moments, this really is nothing more than a typical rednecks on a rampage flick. Then again, it is a very hard R horror movie, and we don't get those too often anymore. I think it's kind of sad when the days have arrived where we have to be thankful that our horror is rated R.

One question: SLIGHT SPOILERS....DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN!!!

Were the blonde and black models that melted togetherat the end supposed to be Paris and her boyfriend? If so, that guy worked pretty dang quick on them, as I think that happend less than an hour after he pulled up with them in the truck.
Old 11-03-05, 08:59 AM

Received 111 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by ianholm
Good stuff. Nice to see some good R-rated gore flicks coming back.
Agreed. I watched it last night and was entertained. It was better than I expected.
Old 11-03-05, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Watching it now as part of my Halloween Horror film fest. While it has some genuinely creepy moments, this really is nothing more than a typical rednecks on a rampage flick. Then again, it is a very hard R horror movie, and we don't get those too often anymore. I think it's kind of sad when the days have arrived where we have to be thankful that our horror is rated R.

One question: SLIGHT SPOILERS....DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN!!!

Were the blonde and black models that melted togetherat the end supposed to be Paris and her boyfriend? If so, that guy worked pretty dang quick on them, as I think that happend less than an hour after he pulled up with them in the truck.
Nope, those two models were there when Cuthbert and her boyfriend were looking around atthe begining, but did anyone else think that black model looked like C. Thomas Howell in "Soul Man"?
Old 11-03-05, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Were the blonde and black models that melted togetherat the end supposed to be Paris and her boyfriend? If so, that guy worked pretty dang quick on them, as I think that happend less than an hour after he pulled up with them in the truck
Sounds like you were pretty bored! You must have fallen asleep or something. Those wax figures are shown a few times before anyone in the movie is killed.
Old 11-03-05, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 195 Likes on 132 Posts
My thoughts:

first.....this is now the ultimate movie to watch for Halloween (and yes, even better to watch then "Halloween"). Why? Well, the atmosphere of the town and house of wax alone make things look like one huge haunted house ride -very effective.

The downside is the problem we face getting to the gory stuff (or just to anything for that matter) it takes a good 40 minutes or so for things to get going and It makes it even harder when you have no characters to care about and when you don't give two shits about anything that is happening in between.

This flick reminded me of horror flicks from the 80's big time - not necessarily a bad thing but definitely take into consideration the fact that the acting is even worse than most 80's horror flicks and you will then know what I'm saying.

Paris Hilton didn't bother me at all, she's barely in it which is a plus and has the worst (worst as is in best) death scene in the film (although it's pretty goofy how that pole or whatever was shot with superhuman strength).

So I said it was the ultimate horror flick to watch on Halloween.....it is, but not for me. Unfortunately I don't fall for stuff like this anymore (won't buy movies like this anymore because they are too one sided and not good the whole way through) but for people who don't mind seeing the worst acting, slower than hell pacing, & the most far fecthed premise in their horror flicks.....enjoy and have a good time with this "made for fun" horror flick.
Old 11-03-05, 10:48 AM

Received 111 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by ruddiger_718
...but did anyone else think that black model looked like C. Thomas Howell in "Soul Man"?
Yup, I thought the same.
Old 11-03-05, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw it in the theatre and was actually better than I thought as well. Loved the torture of the kid who is now in Supernatural complete with wax being poured over him while still alive.
Old 11-03-05, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok, you guys convinced me to make it a blind buy.
Old 11-03-05, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Paris was surprisingliy good, too, when she hosted SNL last year.
Old 11-03-05, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hey original poster: thanks for the spoilers in your first post!
Old 11-03-05, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I too enjoyed this film. People die, blood is spewed, some creative visuals and Paris Hilton getting a pole in her head...again.
Old 11-03-05, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rival11
So I said it was the ultimate horror flick to watch on Halloween.....it is, but not for me. Unfortunately I don't fall for stuff like this anymore (won't buy movies like this anymore because they are too one sided and not good the whole way through) but for people who don't mind seeing the worst acting, slower than hell pacing, & the most far fecthed premise in their horror flicks.....enjoy and have a good time with this "made for fun" horror flick.
I still believe if this flick was around 80 minutes in length, House of Wax would've been a blast. However, in it's near two hour length, it's a goddamn chore to watch.
Old 11-03-05, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Funniest line from the Paris Hilton home video:

"Is it in yet?"
Old 11-03-05, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by meritocracy
All in all, Paris getting impaled was one of the sole highlights for me.
That was the sole highlight for me in One Night in Paris.
Old 11-04-05, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 195 Likes on 132 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I still believe if this flick was around 80 minutes in length, House of Wax would've been a blast. However, in it's near two hour length, it's a goddamn chore to watch.
Without a doubt and it's pretty sad since it's clear that the film was trying to be "deep" with it horrible first act.......so to speak.
Old 11-05-05, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
It was a bit too long, but a fairly enjoyable flick IMO.
Old 11-06-05, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I agree. By now, we already know that every horror film has a bunch of stupid, sex crazed teens who deserve to die. Do we really need 40 or so minutes of them camping out, playing around with the video camera, and having sex?
Old 11-06-05, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes Dean

The first half is all build up to the eventual chase/thrill ride that takes up the last half of the film.

The first half was not 'just' lame actors with bad dialogue(though it had that) trying to be 'deep',as we watch them fool around and so forth.

There was the creepy run in with the truck when they first camp out which was quite tense I thought. Then the slow lead up to becoming trapped in that town as the sun goes down,and real horror takes over. Then the film doesn't let up from there,and I think a slow build up is good for a change. Since otherwise it would be over far to quickly and the 'chase/thrill' part would be extremely boring. Since it has been there,done that many times before(Wrong Turn being a good example,gets to the point immediately,but it's less effective in the long run..despite a few really kickass sequences).

Yet in todays flash editing,everything gets going pronto age, I can see why the first half of the film will bore and piss off some people.

But I was not as bored as I feared I would be,after hearing how 'slow' the first half was.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.