Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-22-04, 02:29 AM   #1
Krug
DVD Talk Special Edition

QT to join Robert Rodriguez in directing Sin City

http://www.icv2.com/articles/home/4466.html

Edited subject: Oops.

Last edited by Krug; 03-22-04 at 02:53 AM.
Old 03-22-04, 02:41 AM   #2
Supermallet
Time Lord

George Lucas is co-directing SIN CITY!?! Whaaaaaat?

Is this some unheard of kid who happens to share the same name as the man who created Star Wars?

As for QT, great news.
Old 03-22-04, 02:45 AM   #3
JBurns24

I think that the article just meant that Lucas wasn't part of the director's guild
Old 03-22-04, 02:53 AM   #4
Krug
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oops tried to correct the subject but didn't work..
Old 03-22-04, 02:56 AM   #5
Supermallet
Time Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by JBurns24
I think that the article just meant that Lucas wasn't part of the director's guild
Hmm, that may be. It would certainly make more sense. I cannot imagine Lucas working on a Sin City movie.
Old 03-22-04, 04:43 AM   #6
QuiGonJosh
Banned

I could...and it'd be cool...
Old 03-22-04, 04:56 AM   #7
Supermallet
Time Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
I could...and it'd be cool...
I won't turn this into a Lucas bashing/defending thread, but even as much as I know you don't like Lucas, you still wouldn't agree that he might be ill-suited to something like Sin City? I'm not attacking him, I just don't think that because someone is good at one thing doesn't mean they're good at another.

I wouldn't ask Woody Allen to direct an action movie, for example, even though I love Woody Allen. I just think Lucas would not be a good fit for something like Sin City.
Old 03-22-04, 08:31 AM   #8
Josh-da-man
DVD Talk Legend

George Lucas directing "Sin City" would mean a CGI Marv.
"Two guys in a bathroom stall it feels like the most important place in the whole world in that moment. I've actually gone into bathroom stalls with friends since I quit, just so I still have a little bit of that bonding." - Lars Ulrich
Old 03-22-04, 02:04 PM   #9
Dr. DVD
DVD Talk Legend

Mickey Rourke is perfect casting for a movie like Sin City.
Old 03-22-04, 02:18 PM   #10
B.A.
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by JBurns24
That's what I got out of it.

More casting news:
http://www.moviepoopshoot.com/news/mar04/93.html
Old 03-22-04, 06:42 PM   #11
cultshock
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So the film is going to be co-directed by Rodriguez, Miller and Tarantino? Oh, I gotta see this. The film will apparently consist of 3 intertwined vignettes. Does this mean that each co-director will direct a different vignette and it will then be edited together? I'm not sure how having three directors would work otherwise, logistically speaking.

I love Miller's comic, so I am really looking forward to seeing this film.
Old 03-22-04, 08:57 PM   #12
jaeufraser
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally posted by cultshock
So the film is going to be co-directed by Rodriguez, Miller and Tarantino? Oh, I gotta see this. The film will apparently consist of 3 intertwined vignettes. Does this mean that each co-director will direct a different vignette and it will then be edited together? I'm not sure how having three directors would work otherwise, logistically speaking.

I love Miller's comic, so I am really looking forward to seeing this film.
I can't imagine that's what they have in mind. Granted, if it were Rodriguez and Tarantino and another director, that would make sense. But Miller is no director...I can see why they'd want him on board (duh) and I can see what he can add as a co-director, but I couldn't see him handling a whole segment himself. Instead I imagine he'll be integral in realizing the look of the movie, along with guiding the screenplay and character acting and styles to fit the original Sin City. Where does Tarantino fit into this? Who the hell knows...nonetheless, a very interesting project...RR has some good ideas, Miller brings his knowledge and style, and maybe Tarantino can act as overseer and make sure these two turn out a quality film since, well, he's the only one of the three I think is truly a great filmmaker. Rodriguez is decent, but can be very sloppy, and Miller is...well he's never directed anything. Anyway, I'm just saying I doubt they'll split it up Four Room style.

I mean we've seen two directors work side by side many a time, so three I would imagine would be somewhat similar. Wachowski Bros, Hughes Bros, Farrely Bros, Marc Caro & Jean Pierre Jeunet. Just add one more person.
Old 03-22-04, 09:26 PM   #13
Painkiller

Umm, what's Sin City?
Old 03-22-04, 09:44 PM   #14
cultshock
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally posted by jaeufraser
I can't imagine that's what they have in mind. Granted, if it were Rodriguez and Tarantino and another director, that would make sense. But Miller is no director...I can see why they'd want him on board (duh) and I can see what he can add as a co-director, but I couldn't see him handling a whole segment himself. Instead I imagine he'll be integral in realizing the look of the movie, along with guiding the screenplay and character acting and styles to fit the original Sin City. Where does Tarantino fit into this? Who the hell knows...nonetheless, a very interesting project...RR has some good ideas, Miller brings his knowledge and style, and maybe Tarantino can act as overseer and make sure these two turn out a quality film since, well, he's the only one of the three I think is truly a great filmmaker
Now I've read that Tarantino will supposedly be on board as a "guest director" for one of the 3 segments.

You are probably right about Miller. I was just half thinking that maybe Miller had aspirations to direct a film and Rodriguez was giving him a opportunity to take a shot at it in exchange for Miller allowing him the rights to Sin City. Just a half assed theory of mine that probably could be a bad idea if it happened.
Old 03-22-04, 10:59 PM   #15
Doctorwho

Quote:
Originally posted by Painkiller
Umm, what's Sin City?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

It's this crime comic book, it's real dark and gritty and drawn like the pictures. It's good, not great.

You can read part of it here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1569...34#reader-page