Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Comic-Con '04: What'll Hollywood pitch to geekland?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Comic-Con '04: What'll Hollywood pitch to geekland?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-04, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wait wait.. what? Comics? what are these comics you speak of?
Old 07-23-04, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,308 Likes on 952 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
any of you two able to pick up a she-ra for me? I foolishly used my pass to buy batman and didn't get the she-ra.
I left for Con around 9, so didn't catch this until now.
Old 07-23-04, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 739 Likes on 541 Posts
I'll give it a try tomorrow.
Old 07-24-04, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
So how was the WB and New Line Panels? heading back down for tomorrow's mad dash craziness. I can't wait to see the crowds tomorrow.... sigh
Old 07-24-04, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The WB panel was cool. They showed an 18 min montage of scenes from Constantine. Some effects are still being worked on but it looked really good. The Q&A went the direction that I hoped it wouldn't... 99% of the questions were directed at Keanu (who was sporting a beard).

If you were lucky to get there early you got a WB bag and one item was really cool. It was a glass flask of Holy Water from the upcoming The Exorcist: The Beginning.

I didn't stay for the whole panel because I wanted to head to the Pixar panel for The Incredibles. I caught the last part of the Tru Calling panel and Eliza Dushku is VERY cute and has dimples to die for.

The Incredibles panel was very nice. They stated at the beginning of the panel that earlier that day, at Pixar Studios, they announced over the PA system that the movie officially wrapped. They showed 2 entire scenes from the movie and it looks like another Pixar winner (no duh, huh). Afterwards, Brad Bird and Mike Mignola signed the Exclusive Comic-Con poster that Mike designed.

I didn't make it to the New Line panel.

If you checked my post regarding The Devil's Backbone that was my highlight of the day. Oh, when I was leaving I saw del Toro standing next to a limo along with director John Landis. Any ideas why Landis was there?

Edit: Forgot to add that at the Disney/Pixar panel, they showed a teaser trailer for Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy that brought cheers from the crowd.

Last edited by TomOpus; 07-24-04 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-24-04, 10:26 AM
Banned

Originally posted by TomOpus
Jake Lloyd (Little Ani) - $25
Is this a joke?? If I saw Jake Lloyd there I'd steal the 25 bucks from HIM as compensation for having to endure his wretched career-ending performance.
Old 07-24-04, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Man that was crowded yesterday and I can only imagine what it's going to be like today.
Got my QT Kill Bill figure so my main objective was achieved. I haven't been to one in about 15 years so I was very surprised at how comics are not the main focus anymore.
Wish I had more time to attend all the days as many of the panels look interesting. May have to make more plans for next year.
Old 07-24-04, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Hamil was $85. sure is a lot for an autograph if you ask me.
Old 07-24-04, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any announcements on the Matrix box set from WB?
Old 07-24-04, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

For the upcoming "ultimate" collection of the "Matrix" trilogy (which will be ten discs in size), Warner Bros. asked the brothers Wachowski to give a director's commentary -- a must for any box set. Hesitant to do so for various reasons, the Wachowskis then jumped on the suggestion, made by the studio, that they have other people do it in their stead. But finding most commentaries to be pretty "mundane, boring, and shallow," they decided to spice it up a little bit -- they desired a commentary that would reflect their movies, a commentary that would inspire the listeners to open dialogues "about everything." To do so, they had an interesting idea: get two critics together who hated the films and have them talk about their passion for six hours. Juxtapose this with two philosophers who loved the films and have them talk about their passion for six hours. The end result would not only help to illustrate the films, it would also help to illustrate the nature of dialogue about art itself.

While I am not entirely sure, to be honest, that the critics' commentary has been recorded or will make it to the final package (Warners found the idea to be a little nutty, to say the least), the philosophers' certainly made it through. Recorded by Cornell West and Ken Wilber, the two of them generated fifteen hours' worth of commentary that will be (unfortunately) edited down to the six hours of the movies.

(A brief aside: if many of you, like myself initially, are asking just who Ken Wilber is, here's a brief biography taken from his website, Integral Naked:

"Ken Wilber, at age 54, is the first philosopher-psychologist to have his Collected Works published while still alive, and, with his 25 books translated into some 30 foreign languages, the most widely translated academic writer in America. Wilber is the internationally acknowledged leader of the integral revolution gathering momentum around the world. He is the founder of Integral Institute and one of the hosts of Integral Naked.")

Since Wilber himself is a bit of reculse -- he claims that he hasn't done a public interview in some twenty-five years -- Larry Wachowski, Wilber's friend, decided to return the favor by allowing some of their conversations to be published on Integral Naked -- the first time that the Wachowskis have ever publicly spoken about their complete trilogy. The first part, just released yesterday and running just over thirty minutes, covers a wide variety of topics: interpretation of art; Wilber's -- and, to a certain extent, *Larry's* -- reading of the "Matrix" trilogy; the role of body, mind, and spirit in the trilogy; talk of philosophy and philosophers, including Hegel; and, finally, the analysis of some of Wibler's works.

It's an interesting beginning, filled with the promise that more "Matrix"-related revelations are set to come...
Old 07-24-04, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by rexinnih
Man that was crowded yesterday and I can only imagine what it's going to be like today.
Got my QT Kill Bill figure so my main objective was achieved. I haven't been to one in about 15 years so I was very surprised at how comics are not the main focus anymore.
Wish I had more time to attend all the days as many of the panels look interesting. May have to make more plans for next year.
Yep, today was, as predicted, INSANE. I went early to get a good seat for the Star Wars panel (and it was worth it), but had to leave to attend the Carrie Fisher signing. Good thing I did because there were only 20 people ahead of me but soon the line was looooooong.

After the signing I went back to Hall H but the line was so long (and outside the Convention Center) I just gave up and went back inside.

A couple of the Wayan's brothers were there at the Topps booth.

I was surprised yesterday to find legendary artist Roger Dean (he did all the cool album covers for Yes back in the 70's) at a booth on the floor. I knew they were having a panel with him but it was cool to be able to talk to him in person. I'm sure he'll be there on Sunday (for those interested). He's located over by Artist Alley.
Old 07-24-04, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Roger Dean also did those cool covers for Asia (who will be releasing an album soon as well, believe it or not).
Old 07-24-04, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Patman
Roger Dean also did those cool covers for Asia (who will be releasing an album soon as well, believe it or not).
Yeah, I should've mentioned that especially since my best friend is a big Asia fan... and picked out their first cover Roger did for him to sign. He was pretty stoked about it.

btw, one of the people that were there with Roger said the Asia cover is one of his personal favorites.
Old 07-25-04, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

The uber donnie darko fan:

Old 07-25-04, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For anyone that is going on Sunday, Sideshow Collectables is selling a Comic-Con exclusive 1/4 scale repilica of The Samaritan (Hellboy's Gun) for around $25. If anyone could pick me one up if they aren't sold out already I'd be more than willing to fork over the $25 plus shipping.
Old 07-25-04, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone happen to go to the Dave McKean - Neil Gaiman "Mirrormask" preview?

Anyone get any images?
Old 07-25-04, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Obey The D
For anyone that is going on Sunday, Sideshow Collectables is selling a Comic-Con exclusive 1/4 scale repilica of The Samaritan (Hellboy's Gun) for around $25. If anyone could pick me one up if they aren't sold out already I'd be more than willing to fork over the $25 plus shipping.
All the Sideshow exclusives were online pre-orders you had to pick up at the Con. You couldn't buy them there, if you hadn't already pre-ordered it.
Old 07-25-04, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by devilshalo
All the Sideshow exclusives were online pre-orders you had to pick up at the Con. You couldn't buy them there, if you hadn't already pre-ordered it.
Oh well
Old 07-25-04, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by devilshalo
they did have a waiting list you could jump on if you were just walking in to the convention. I really hate to imagine how that worked out for anyone who didn't pre-order.

Part of me thinks that that was a good thing. The other exclusives were a pain in the ass to get through the show when you get assed out of the ticket limit of 300 per day to buy one. Perhaps they should all do something of that nature next year.
Old 07-25-04, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Jack.. did you get your She-Ra figure?
Old 07-25-04, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Team America: World Police
Matt. Trey. Super-marionation. 'nuff said.
Clips that they brought, the trailer they put together were funny as hell!

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
Already seen it, already love it.
Guests: Jude Law, Bai Ling, Giovanni Ribisi, Kerry Conrad, Jon Avenet.

Anacondas: Hunt for the Blood Orchid
I actaully want to see this as it looks better than the original. No guests.

Resident Evil: Apocalypse
Interesting featurette with Mila.
Guest: Sienna Guillory

The Grudge (Ju-On)
Looks freakin' creepy. Never saw the original. Not a fan of horror.
Guests: Sarah Michelle Geller, Jason Behr
They did a decent job since they got stuck up there with no clue what to do.

AVP
Meh. I'm not jazzed but I'll probably see it.
Guests: Sanaa Lathan, Lance Henrickson, ADI (Woodruff & Gillis)

Elektra
Featurette with Jennifer Garner. Looks a lot better. She has the red outfit. Not sure how this will tie into the Daredevil/Elektra mythos.

Fantastic Four
Production starts in 4 weeks. Will be in the look and style of Kirby. Thing will be makeup and costume.
Guests: Tim Story (director), Avi Arad, Ralph Winter, Ioan Gruffudd, Jessica Alba , Michael Chiklis

Smallville
Nothing new.. will go away from the Clark/Lana relationship (thank god). Christopher Reeve set to guest star again.
Guests: Miller & Gough, John Glover, Allison Mack, Erica Durance (Lois Lane)

Last edited by devilshalo; 07-25-04 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-25-04, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

nope, never got the she-ra. Though I did pick up two Obi sabers, my side show crap, Extreme hellboy. The extended feature Hellboy figures looked really lame since their was very little diffference and at $25, forget about it. Picked up two of those halo 2 figures and the QT figure and a few other exclusives

I didn't pick up SOTA's stuff either. I should have done that preview night since it seemed like the smallest line then. Every other chance had the line huge and the daily numbers done with. Same thing with mattle. the daily ticket system was eaten alive by the time I got there.
Old 07-25-04, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I ended up with:
3 Lightsabers
1 Spirit of the Rebellion bust ups 4/pk
1 Silver Sandtrooper
1 Batman
1 She-Ra
2 Crazy 88 Directors
1 Sideshow Angel figure

You didn't pick up the Batman & She-Ra together? This year they let you buy both at the same time on the same ticket.

Couldn't get the Robin figure and kept forgetting about the Disney litho raffles. I have enough Sky Captain shirts. And Speeder Bike Galactic Heroes figures.

Was disappointed at the lack of hotness (school girls) on the floor other than the guests. Ran into Rosario Dawson just walking around. Same with Kip from Joe Schmo I.
Old 07-25-04, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

How many sky cap shirts did you get? I never bothered with the line.

Sideshows pick up method seemed very orginized and quick. I'm really going to hope that more companies do the online order next year. Seemed like a good mix. Ended up with Nazi outfit Kroenen, small samaritan and gay gollum. The lack of "booth babes" was a let down.

I picked up a ton of those DC batman cardgame shirts.
Old 07-25-04, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have an extra Sky Captain. XL. I ended up with 3.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.