Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Who here thinks Hellboy will blow away Passion of the Christ?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Who here thinks Hellboy will blow away Passion of the Christ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-04, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Groucho
Easter is in three weeks. I don't think Passion will bounce back to #1 despite the tie-in. Lot of new competition that weekend: The Alamo, The Girl Next Door, and The Whole Ten Yards.

Has a movie ever dropped from the #1 slot only to return 3 weeks later?
Has a movie that is spoken in a 2000 year old middle eastern language with english subtitles ever captured the #1 spot at the american box office for a few weeks? has any foreign film done it on these shores? Crouching Tiger maybe, but that had nice martial arts scenes.
Old 03-19-04, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by al_bundy
Has a movie that is spoken in a 2000 year old middle eastern language with english subtitles ever captured the #1 spot at the american box office for a few weeks? has any foreign film done it on these shores? Crouching Tiger maybe, but that had nice martial arts scenes.
It's a movie about Christ made for Christians. It's a built in market...whether the movie is good or bad. That's why it's #1. It's a movie that shows Christ in a positive light and so Christians will want to see it and support it...that's why it's #1.
The languages have nothing to do with it. And there was nothing "brave" about Mel Gibson putting out a pro-Christ movie in a mostly Christian country.
Old 03-19-04, 03:24 PM
Suspended

Hellboy won't beat out Passion. It could make it to the #1 spot for the weekend just because it's new and Passion isn't, but it won't last. It's a comic fanboy action movie. It's getting mega hyped right now, which will help. But Passion is a movie with a lot more staying power.
Old 03-19-04, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hellboy will not blow away The Passion.

Besides the fact that it just looks horrible (trying to be an action flick with too many attempts at one-line humor), it doesn't have near a fan base that The Passion does. Everyone knows who Christ is, but who the hell is Hellboy? He's not Batman, or Superman, or Spiderman, etc. This is an action flick for comic book fans primarily, and I don't think this will top either of the X-men movies either.

I know I won't go see it (and I have over 3,000 comic books), but I will go see The Passion (I'm not religious and don't have a bible).
Old 03-19-04, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Vegas9203
It's a movie about Christ made for Christians. It's a built in market...whether the movie is good or bad. That's why it's #1. It's a movie that shows Christ in a positive light and so Christians will want to see it and support it...that's why it's #1.
The languages have nothing to do with it. And there was nothing "brave" about Mel Gibson putting out a pro-Christ movie in a mostly Christian country.
At close to $400 million projected US gross it means it has a huge appeal outside it's intended audience. Like most personal projects I think that mel planned on breaking even and maybe a small profit. Remember that no one projected this kind of success even a efw months ago.

Besides most people who identify themselves as christian don't go to church except for x-mas and easter.
Old 03-19-04, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Vegas9203
Boy, hindsight sure is 20/20. If Passion was such a sure thing with a "built in market", how come no major studio would distribute it? How come months prior to release it was widely predicted to bomb? How come no one releases films that cater to this obvious market?

Say what you want about Passion, but no one can say with a straight face that this film was anything but a major risk. No one - not even you, Vegas - could have predicted the huge success of this film. By all accounts, this movie should have been a major failure. That it is the exact opposite is amazing to just about everyone...but you.

On Dawn of the Dead or Hellboy. Dawn will have trouble because it is not a film that will appeal to a wide audience. Hellboy's trouble is that it is released the weekend that Passion should do killer business. I predict neither dethrones Passion. I think Scooby Doo might have a better shot .

BTW, when I saw the trailers for Hellboy I immediately thought HB=LXG.

EDIT: Just checked mojo and they are predicting that Dawn beats Passion by over 7 mil. They are usually pretty good with these predictions so it looks like Dawn will probably beat Passion this weekend.

Last edited by moocher; 03-19-04 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-19-04, 04:30 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by moocher
On Dawn of the Dead or Hellboy. Dawn will have trouble because it is not a film that will appeal to a wide audience.
I know you posted an edit saying you think Dawn probably will beat Passion, but do you honestly think horror movies don't have a wide audience? The sneak preview I went to last night had people from all different races, ages, and walks of life. This is a movie with a huge wide audience appeal.
Old 03-19-04, 04:33 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Suprmallet
I know you posted an edit saying you think Dawn probably will beat Passion, but do you honestly think horror movies don't have a wide audience? The sneak preview I went to last night had people from all different races, ages, and walks of life. This is a movie with a huge wide audience appeal.
Yep, moocher missed the mark there... sorry
Old 03-19-04, 04:39 PM
Suspended

Boy, hindsight sure is 20/20. If Passion was such a sure thing with a "built in market", how come no major studio would distribute it? How come months prior to release it was widely predicted to bomb? How come no one releases films that cater to this obvious market?

Say what you want about Passion, but no one can say with a straight face that this film was anything but a major risk. No one - not even you, Vegas - could have predicted the huge success of this film. By all accounts, this movie should have been a major failure. That it is the exact opposite is amazing to just about everyone...but you.

On Dawn of the Dead or Hellboy. Dawn will have trouble because it is not a film that will appeal to a wide audience. Hellboy's trouble is that it is released the weekend that Passion should do killer business. I predict neither dethrones Passion. I think Scooby Doo might have a better shot .

BTW, when I saw the trailers for Hellboy I immediately thought HB=LXG.

EDIT: Just checked mojo and they are predicting that Dawn beats Passion by over 7 mil. They are usually pretty good with these predictions so it looks like Dawn will probably beat Passion this weekend.
OMG, moocher, you are REALLY off base... I mean come on. This film was never predicted to fail. Seriously, with the amount of hype that had been building for a YEAR prior to it's release, the built in audience, and even the name change for the moronic jesus freaks from The Passion, to anything with the word Christ in it so the church groups would know where to toss their money. ...the amount of bs stories planned, yeah, sure the dude playing JC was struck by lightning, LOL! the anti-semite hype was building to a fever pitch, and the low budget guaranteed a smash, for the overhyped snuff film
Old 03-19-04, 04:46 PM
Banned by request

Originally posted by balancer
OMG, moocher, you are REALLY off base... I mean come on. This film was never predicted to fail. Seriously, with the amount of hype that had been building for a YEAR prior to it's release, the built in audience, and even the name change for the moronic jesus freaks from The Passion, to anything with the word Christ in it so the church groups would know where to toss their money. ...the amount of bs stories planned, yeah, sure the dude playing JC was struck by lightning, LOL! the anti-semite hype was building to a fever pitch, and the low budget guaranteed a smash, for the overhyped snuff film
I have to disagree with you. Even with all this stuff, people were predicting the film would have a strong first weekend, and with luck, Gibson would make back the money he spent on it in the first place. No one, no one thought it would rake in hundreds of millions of dollars and top the box office for several weekends in a row.
Old 03-19-04, 04:56 PM
Banned

Going to see Hellboy tonight.
Where the h. e. double hockey sticks is everyone going to see Hellboy tonight!?!?
Old 03-19-04, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by balancer
The name was changed for copyright and trademark reasons. And it was predicted to be an arthouse film that wouldn't make it's money back. If it's success was so predictable then why wouldn't a major studio touch it? If Newline gave $175 million to an unknown director some years back, why not take a chance on a pet project of an accomplished actor and director?
Old 03-19-04, 06:03 PM
Banned by request

Originally posted by Kudama
Where the h. e. double hockey sticks is everyone going to see Hellboy tonight!?!?
Sneak preview. Seeing the Dawn of the Dead sneak preview last night, some guy was handing out passes to Hellboy screenings over the weekend. I picked one up. In fact, I'm heading out now to go stand in line.
Old 03-19-04, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Who here thinks Hellboy will blow away Passion of the Christ?

i pray to GOD it does!
Old 03-19-04, 06:16 PM
Banned

Sneak preview. Seeing the Dawn of the Dead sneak preview last night, some guy was handing out passes to Hellboy screenings over the weekend. I picked one up. In fact, I'm heading out now to go stand in line.
ooowwwwwwwwwwwwch!!!!

I never realized until now the agony that extreme envy can cause.
Oh well, I guess I'll just go home and watch the previews again.

Being an obsessive geek can wear a man down sometimes.
Old 03-19-04, 06:25 PM
Suspended

No chance. As one of the replies said, "who the f is hell boy?" JC getting nailed will rule the Easter weekend.
Old 03-19-04, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Kudama
ooowwwwwwwwwwwwch!!!!

I never realized until now the agony that extreme envy can cause.
Oh well, I guess I'll just go home and watch the previews again.

Being an obsessive geek can wear a man down sometimes.
Then perhaps saying that I saw Hellboy sitting next to Del Toro wouldn't be a good thing huh?

No studio wanted to touch it for the simple reason that it is a bit much on the religious side. It's a two sided coin where if it comes off the wrong way it can piss off a lot of people, while if it comes off a good way it can make bank. It's a risk studios were not willing to take on a subject studios don't want to step into.
Old 03-19-04, 07:47 PM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
No studio wanted to touch it for the simple reason that it is a bit much on the religious side. It's a two sided coin where if it comes off the wrong way it can piss off a lot of people, while if it comes off a good way it can make bank. It's a risk studios were not willing to take on a subject studios don't want to step into.
Exactly. The reason why no studio would pick it up was because of politics. They just don't want to get involved in religious issues (but pretty much anything else is fair game).
Old 03-19-04, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Oh come on, the success of the Passion was unexpected. Sure, even with all this other stuff, people were predicting opening weekend would be huge with 30 million or something. I mean, if anyone says they honestly thought this film was going to perform as it has, I will not believe you. It's as silly as saying you knew Titanic was going to be huge all along cause of the teenage girls, this is no different. It's a phenomenon that has reached a target audience at a level no one thought possible, and has reached beyond that also.

But, I doubt it'll bounce back to number one on Easter. It'll prolly see a bump up that weekend, but I can't see it pocketing so much more then. But, this film has been wildly unpredictable, so it's hard to say.
Old 03-19-04, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
If you think it's unexpected perhaps you should look at other such religious successes you might be surprised with in:

Bible Man
Veggie Tales
Davey and Goliath
and many more.

If there is one thing you can count on, is that regardless of what it has, if it's about religion, you have a set in stone audiance that either:
A.) Loves it
B.) Hates it and will protest it till the cows come home
Old 03-19-04, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did you think last year we'd be talking about whether "Hellboy" or "Dawn of the Dead" will be beating "The Passion of Christ?"
Old 03-19-04, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So, I'm off base. Hmmm...

Where are all the horror films???

I see The Exorcist but what else?? That was waaayy back in 1973. I guess you might consider Hannibal but it's horror status is debatable. If horror is such a "main stream" genre you would think it would be a little better represented in the top 100. At least I would. After Exorcist, you have to go all the way down to #131 to find the next horror film (Blair Witch). I don't think that there is any genre more poorly represented in the list of top grossing films than Horror. I counted only 5 films in the top 300. So I don't think I am all that "off base".

...and all these Monday morning quarterbacks on Passion are really laughable. I guess you should all be studio executives instead of those bozos that are presently running things. I mean, they sure were idiots for not recognizing the potential in a low budget gory religious flick in dead languages. But, yeah, you knew .

Last edited by moocher; 03-19-04 at 11:24 PM.
Old 03-20-04, 12:59 AM
Banned by request

I see The Exorcist but what else?? That was waaayy back in 1973. I guess you might consider Hannibal but it's horror status is debatable. If horror is such a "main stream" genre you would think it would be a little better represented in the top 100. At least I would. After Exorcist, you have to go all the way down to #131 to find the next horror film (Blair Witch). I don't think that there is any genre more poorly represented in the list of top grossing films than Horror. I counted only 5 films in the top 300. So I don't think I am all that "off base".
Did you conveniently miss The Sixth Sense, which is number 18? Jaws is number 26. Ghost is on there (okay, so that's really a romantic thing, but it has horror elements in it). I would count Hannibal.

They may not all get into the top 300 highest grossing films, but they can top the box office over a weekend.
Old 03-20-04, 10:41 AM

...and all these Monday morning quarterbacks on Passion are really laughable. I guess you should all be studio executives instead of those bozos that are presently running things. I mean, they sure were idiots for not recognizing the potential in a low budget gory religious flick in dead languages. But, yeah, you knew .
Dude, no one is denying that the Christ movie was successful. Same way those straight to video Bible man series are HUGELY successful. No one would touch it because they didn't want to seem anti-Simetic. They changed the name of the movie to further hype it and get everyone all riled up about it.
Old 03-20-04, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/c...4-03-19&p=.htm

BOM estimates put DotD ahead of Passion.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.