Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Slow Zombies Vs. Fast Zombies

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Slow Zombies VS. Fast Zombies
SLOW
54.08%
FAST
37.76%
Eeeeek! Just keep em buried.
8.16%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-04, 02:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did a search, no poll listed, so which do you prefer?
Old 03-15-04, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
fast, I always get upset when morons get caught by slow zombies.
Old 03-15-04, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was totally against fast moving zombies.

The terror of slow moving zombies is not the quickness or the level of danger but the numbers that came with them. No matter where you ran, where you hid, they will eventually out number you. Sure blow a couple in the process.. you will still die.

But then after so much bitching I saw Dawn of the Dead (2004) and bam, I didn't complain. I enjoyed the level of fear that the new modern quick zombie brings.

Much like any scary scene, Slow shambling zombies might have struck fear to folks back in the day and for zombie nuts like me would love to keep the nostilgia(sp?), but in reality, a slow moving zombie will not have the same effect as a fast one would.

the way it's described with the joints,flesh and so forth not yet rotted out (thus what makes them slow) it does work for me.
Old 03-15-04, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
NO ZOMBIES AT ALL DAMMIT!!

I think -fast movers- would freak me out a bit more. But if handled right slow zombies can still be frightening.
Old 03-15-04, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I prefer the slow zombies. Its all the victims fault if they get cought by a slow zombie, then i get to scream and holler at them "You stupid a$$, how you gonna let them just catch you like dat!"
Old 03-15-04, 05:58 AM
Banned

okay...which idiots voted for Fast...its time we had a good HANGING!!!!
Old 03-15-04, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Either one is fine. I don't care. Im not gonna piss on a good movie just because the zomibes are fast.
Old 03-15-04, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As long as they get the ice clean in between periods I don't care if they're slow or fast.
Old 03-15-04, 09:09 AM
Banned

I like 'em both, but I prefer the slow relentless kind. Their pathetic painful nature is all the more scary because that's what ya got to look forward to being.
Old 03-15-04, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 511 Likes on 353 Posts
Originally posted by Kudama
...Their pathetic painful nature is all the more scary because that's what ya got to look forward to being.
Übereinstimmung! That is a major reason why the slow ones are so horrifying. They are slow and clumsy, but remorseless and as unceasing as the incoming tide. And someday I will be one of them...

Fast ones are still scary, but it's the same scare you would get from a pack of werewolves, rabid dogs, or angry villagers with torches and pitchforks.
Old 03-15-04, 10:02 AM
Banned

ALL WHO VOTED FOR FAST ZOMBIES CONFESS!!!! HANG!!!
Old 03-15-04, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have no preference. As long is the movie is well made, I'm sure each type has their advantages plot-wise.

Edit: But I voted for fast zombies just to piss off qui gon josh for his threadcraps in the dawn of the dead '04 thread
Old 03-15-04, 01:13 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by AGuyNamedMike
Übereinstimmung! That is a major reason why the slow ones are so horrifying. They are slow and clumsy, but remorseless and as unceasing as the incoming tide. And someday I will be one of them...

Fast ones are still scary, but it's the same scare you would get from a pack of werewolves, rabid dogs, or angry villagers with torches and pitchforks.
Agreed on all counts.

I definitely prefer slow zombies, but will still see a movie with fast zombies.
Old 03-15-04, 01:48 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by AGuyNamedMike

Agreed on all counts.

I definitely prefer slow zombies, but will still see a movie with fast zombies.
Old 03-15-04, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
ALL WHO VOTED FOR FAST ZOMBIES CONFESS!!!! HANG!!!
I voted for fast. I see no reason that zombies can't be fast. "But they're dead!!" some may say. Well guess what, dead people don't typically get out of the ground and walk around either, so what logistic standards are we applying here anyway?

Slow zombies just aren't as threatening. Sure, they could be dangerous in large numbers, but look back at the classic Romero movies. There's never more than a dozen or so onscreen at once. ANYONE could run past them. By the time the lumbering zombies could even turn around, I would be halfway across the state.
Old 03-15-04, 02:13 PM
Banned

For me this is definately a WHO CARES issue.

I can't begin to imagine why someone would even have a preference, let alone be passionately dedicated to their possition.
Old 03-15-04, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Slow moving . . . c'mon . . . it's just more realistic.

Everybody knows that once you've been dead for a while and the muscles start to deteriorate, you really lose that first step . . .
Old 03-15-04, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Yeah, but that's the reason the freshly killed SHOULD be fast. because they are fresh and the muscles have not yet started to deteriorate.
Old 03-15-04, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I haven't seen the DotD remake yet (definitely will). I think shambling is scarier than running, but I'm willing to give these new-fangled zombies a chance. Just give me some info please on the new ones: are they mindless zombies running on pure instinct, or do they have intelligence?
Old 03-15-04, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Oh, they are mindless. They lose focus on victims if something easier comes about. You see them chase one target and then as soon as they come across something closer they will go at it on instinct alone.

No intelligence.
Old 03-15-04, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Oh, they are mindless. They lose focus on victims if something easier comes about. You see them chase one target and then as soon as they come across something closer they will go at it on instinct alone.

No intelligence.
Good deal. I might be flexible on the running, but I will not stand for zombies saying, "Hey fellas! There's some people over here! Let's run!"
Old 03-15-04, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I prefer slow zombies, but I don't really have a problem with the fast zombies either. As long as they're mindless and relentless, I don't have a problem.

The only zombies I really don't like are those as seen in Return of the Living Dead. Those guys are fast and smart, and a zombie just shouldn't be smart.
Old 03-15-04, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like slow zombies, they are more scary and creapy. I dont know about fast zombies, whats next? Vampires in the sun? I still want to see the new Dawn tho.
Old 03-15-04, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Yeah, but that's the reason the freshly killed SHOULD be fast. because they are fresh and the muscles have not yet started to deteriorate.
This is why I really want to see the new Dawn. I can understand the recently deceased but I'm in complete agreement about the shear unending terror of a swarm of slow moving zombies coming for you and you know they aren't going to stop. Also gives a little bit of hope to me since I'm one slow runner. Off to the treadmill, you never know when this is going to happen.
Old 03-15-04, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like a mix of both. Some zombies faster than others, some zombies slower than others you attack in packs, that sort of thing. I don't think it's anything that requires reading into... I just want it to look convincing when it happens.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.