Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Dawn of the Dead Remake - See the First 10 Minutes Uncut & Uncensored...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Dawn of the Dead Remake - See the First 10 Minutes Uncut & Uncensored...

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-04, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what I recall, it bearly lingered in the danger zone and some slight gore was held back and will be seeing the light of day on a unrated dvd.
Old 03-16-04, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Well, I saw it last night. (The first 10 minutes at least)...

This isn't "Dawn of the Dead", heck it doesn't even look like a zombie film. It looks like a decent sequel to "28 Days Later". Based on the first 10 minutes, they should've called this thing "Another 28 Days Later: America". Or perhaps, "Nightmare City 2: Electric Boogaloo".

The zombies move WAY too fast... startlingly fast. Their eyes change to a reddish/orange. They seem to GAIN strength.

ah well... no big surprises here. I'll catch it at a cheapo matinee though.
Old 03-16-04, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by RichC2
So ... are they actually zombies or just highly diseased individuals?
Well, that depends on how you define dead I guess...
Old 03-16-04, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally posted by Giles
any word if the the MPAA had a field day with this and cut the film of it's excess gore?
From DavisDvD:

During the press junket for the upcomig remake of Dawn of the Dead, director Zack Snyder revealed that he had to make more than a few cuts to his film in order to recieve and R-rating from the Motion Picture Association of America. "We went back and forth with the MPAA about four or five times before we got our R, but eventually we did," Snyder told reporters. The neophyte filmmaker also promised that the deleted material will appear in an extended version DVD release. "We will do an unrated DVD that will probably have an additional five minutes of gore, and then another five minutes of more character," he said. "Not that anyone wants that, but that's what they're going to get".
Old 03-16-04, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by Drop
Okay I'll bite that you can smash your head through a door. But I'd like for someone to confirm that the muscles in your neck could actually allow this. Now I'm not saying go and do this, but maybe someone knows about how muscles work. The muscles in your legs are must be different than the ones in your neck.

Also, there is no what you could do that to the doors in my house, I've acutually tried to punch and kick through them (you know fits of anger), than again my house is fairly old, and the doors were made back in the day, when they were meant to be strong.
The Sternocleidomastoid is the muscle that is connected to the clavicle and below and rear of the ears (the name of the portion of the skull escapes me.) This muscle aids in rotation of the neck as well as flexion of the neck. Football players frequently uses this when they collide even if this is dangerous and illegal. If you know what I talk about watch Lattimer in The Program as he expresses his happiness of being a starter. However, I believe that the zombie (ex-husband) did use his legs and trunk while grabbing on to the broken portion of the door when he threw his head into the door. I also believe that many doors are paper-thin houses such as that one as it is newly built in a suburban area. In my old place, my front door was scary thin... Oh well, I hope you like the film for what it is...
Old 03-16-04, 12:21 PM

Originally posted by sracer
This isn't "Dawn of the Dead", heck it doesn't even look like a zombie film. It looks like a decent sequel to "28 Days Later".
I agree... the quick transformation made it feel like 28 Days Later...
Old 03-16-04, 12:21 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Mondo Kane
From DavisDvD:
During the press junket for the upcomig remake of Dawn of the Dead, director Zack Snyder revealed that he had to make more than a few cuts to his film in order to recieve and R-rating from the Motion Picture Association of America. "We went back and forth with the MPAA about four or five times before we got our R, but eventually we did," Snyder told reporters. The neophyte filmmaker also promised that the deleted material will appear in an extended version DVD release. "We will do an unrated DVD that will probably have an additional five minutes of gore, and then another five minutes of more character," he said. "Not that anyone wants that, but that's what they're going to get".
Universal Home video would be hypocrits if they didn't release this unrated on DVD, since they have released unrated DVD's of the American Pie/Wedding trilogy on home video.
Old 03-16-04, 12:29 PM

I enjoyed the first 8 minutes. Good action, effects, and whatnot. But, this'll be more 28 Days Later than DotD. Nothing wrong with that, I suppose. I like how they showed the destruction and "zombies" going right after the living people.

The quick transformation and what seemed like increased strength/speed was a little odd. However, again, it's more 28 Days Later, so I suppose this shouldn't be surprising.
Old 03-16-04, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i think the only connection to the orignal is that the zombies take over a mall.
Old 03-16-04, 12:36 PM
Banned

Originally posted by the aftermath
This movie looks kickass!

Here's a link to it (on my server )

http://www.coldchillin.net/downloads/dotd8kbps384.wmv
thanks! just watched at work - i cannot wait.
Old 03-16-04, 12:50 PM

If "Dawn of the Dead" (2004) wasn't inspired, even partially, by "The Return of the Living Dead", I'd be shocked. "Return.." was the first to use fast/running zombies way back in 1985.
Old 03-16-04, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Umberto Lenzi's "Nightmare City" pre-dates Return, I believe.
Old 03-16-04, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by DVD Smurf
The Sternocleidomastoid is the muscle that is connected to the clavicle and below and rear of the ears (the name of the portion of the skull escapes me.) This muscle aids in rotation of the neck as well as flexion of the neck. Football players frequently uses this when they collide even if this is dangerous and illegal. If you know what I talk about watch Lattimer in The Program as he expresses his happiness of being a starter. However, I believe that the zombie (ex-husband) did use his legs and trunk while grabbing on to the broken portion of the door when he threw his head into the door. I also believe that many doors are paper-thin houses such as that one as it is newly built in a suburban area. In my old place, my front door was scary thin... Oh well, I hope you like the film for what it is...
Thank you Smurf, yea I figured as much actually. I'm not sure how much this would work for a zombie, but I'll go with it, it's just a movie anyway.

Either way, I am pretty shocked this is getting so much support. Someone even claimed on another forum the 10 minutes were better than the original, that's just silly to me. It's not even a complete story. I have no problem with the remake to begin with(and the original is my favorite film ever), the only thing in common, is zombies (which aren't even similar other than being dead), the mall, and the name. The only things that really bug me about it, is that Romero sees no money and his Dead film is pushed to the side while this is made.

On another note, I never really found any of the Dead movies scary. Well, maybe Day, but only a little. It's the ideas, the situations, characters (that includes the zombies), and gore that make these films interesting. Now with this remake, it's obviously supposed to be scary. The first 10 minutes did little for me. I felt no tension, I saw all the jumps coming, I did not like any of the characters, the zombie makeup seemed pretty mediocre, and the CGI was pretty laughable. I smiled at the GON whirlybird cameo, which looked pretty silly and fake, but was cool anyway.

Nonetheless, I will see it this Friday, and just hope that the 80+ more minutes are better. It's a zombie movie, it can't be all that bad.
Old 03-16-04, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
There is a good number of shambling zombies in the film.

As for the quick transformation, Any decent zombie flick will show that it all depends on the bites the victim gets and how long it takes them to die. The husband got it in the neck. he was dead within minutes and easily turned quickly. Where as if you get biten in the hand and how deep it actually is would depend on how long you will turn then.
Old 03-16-04, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Drop

Either way, I am pretty shocked this is getting so much support. Someone even claimed on another forum the 10 minutes were better than the original, that's just silly to me. It's not even a complete story. I have no problem with the remake to begin with(and the original is my favorite film ever), the only thing in common, is zombies (which aren't even similar other than being dead), the mall, and the name. The only things that really bug me about it, is that Romero sees no money and his Dead film is pushed to the side while this is made.

You know what though? I'm glad this is supposed to be good. Because not only do I love a good zombie flick, but if this does well box office wise, I think the chance Romero will get the money he needs to make Dead Reckoning or Dead 4 or whatever will go up quite a bit. While I would've preferred to see a 45 million dollar Romero zombie flick, I'll take this instead...and hope it does well and paves the way for Romero to get his big budget zombie movie.

And regarding the running zombies...they make more than enough sense. They haven't gone into rigor mortis, they're dead so they don't feel the pain of crashing through things (yes, they would break their hand or whatever...but it would'nt hurt, and they could still keep moving like normal zombies). As long as they al can't run like the husband, it's cool with me. That husband was a fresh zombie so it made sense.
Old 03-16-04, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That was awful... Pure shite.
Old 03-16-04, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I loved it....

JackSkeleton, you and I have both seen the film already....

Did you find it funny that USA advertised this as the first 8 minutes completely UNCUT AND UNCENSORED....but it was cut!

Remember when Anna is stuck behind the bus, and that naked zombie chick walks right up to her car....That wasn't in the USA version.
Old 03-16-04, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Originally posted by Seantn
Remember when Anna is stuck behind the bus, and that naked zombie chick walks right up to her car....That wasn't in the USA version.
I've seen the film and I don't remember a naked zombie... but I could've missed it.
Old 03-16-04, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jaeufraser
You know what though? I'm glad this is supposed to be good. Because not only do I love a good zombie flick, but if this does well box office wise, I think the chance Romero will get the money he needs to make Dead Reckoning or Dead 4 or whatever will go up quite a bit. While I would've preferred to see a 45 million dollar Romero zombie flick, I'll take this instead...and hope it does well and paves the way for Romero to get his big budget zombie movie.
That is the conventional "wisdom"... that a good box office return for this film will increase the chances of Romero getting funding for his films. All that is, is wishful thinking.....

The success of "Resident Evil" and "28 Days Later" didn't do it... what did we get in return? Swill like "Children of the Living Dead" and "House of the Dead"....and...

...this tripe known as "Dawn of the Dead (2004)"... a cynical moneygrab to cash in the name of a cult classic.

Romero will never get the money he needs to do his project his way... never. why? Because (A) he is a hollywood outsider, AND, (B) because the studios can dredge up any ole junk of a screenplay, throw a "hip" director at it, and one or 2 "name" actors, and turn a quick profit because the moviegoing audiences don't care about a good zombie film.

Why would they pay for Romero and cater to his demands, when they can get "Mr. Scooby Do" cheaper and with less hassles? People will pay to see the end result no matter what.

Just consider the fact that the studios would rather do a "remake" using a fluff director, than hire the original creator to do his sequel....
Old 03-16-04, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've seen the film and I don't remember a naked zombie... but I could've missed it
Hmmm....I saw the film at a test screening about a month ago, so they might have actually cut it out since then.
Old 03-16-04, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i just saw it tonight and there was no naked zombie.

i'm of the opinion that sucess of this remake "might", not will, give Dead Reckoning a push. i would love for dawn of the dead (04) to become a franchise. i suppose it would get old after awhile, but i would drool over two more films set during the "Dawn" time frame of the dead rising. and another possibility would be the eventual Day of the Dead remake. and that is any interesting thought since they could remake the script and not what was filmed.
Old 03-16-04, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Darn. Now I'm starting to wonder what else might have been cut....

I'm seeing it on Thursday, so i'll find out then.

I also notice in the first 10 minutes another difference....

Spoiler:
After the car hits the other car and there is the huge explosion, it zooms up on Anna's car, which is on the right side of the screen, and the left side says "DAWN OF THE DEAD". In the version aired on USA and online, it just cuts from the explosion to Anna being behind the bus.

Oh, and VENOM, question for you!

Did they keep the credit sequence
Spoiler:
on the boat with Steve's camera
in the movie?

Last edited by Seantn; 03-16-04 at 10:42 PM.
Old 03-16-04, 11:06 PM

Originally posted by sracer
That is the conventional "wisdom"... that a good box office return for this film will increase the chances of Romero getting funding for his films. All that is, is wishful thinking.....

The success of "Resident Evil" and "28 Days Later" didn't do it... what did we get in return? Swill like "Children of the Living Dead" and "House of the Dead"....and...

...this tripe known as "Dawn of the Dead (2004)"... a cynical moneygrab to cash in the name of a cult classic.

Romero will never get the money he needs to do his project his way... never. why? Because (A) he is a hollywood outsider, AND, (B) because the studios can dredge up any ole junk of a screenplay, throw a "hip" director at it, and one or 2 "name" actors, and turn a quick profit because the moviegoing audiences don't care about a good zombie film.

Why would they pay for Romero and cater to his demands, when they can get "Mr. Scooby Do" cheaper and with less hassles? People will pay to see the end result no matter what.

Just consider the fact that the studios would rather do a "remake" using a fluff director, than hire the original creator to do his sequel....
While you make some good points, I do think the success of this film could push a 4th dead flick very well. Now of course that is a big MAYBE, cause you still have to contend with Romero's outsider status and his unwilling to compromise on the film's violence.

But I think this is different than Resident Evil and 28 Dyas Later. First, it directly ties into the Romero legacy. It's success could very well push DVD sales on the Romero classics, another thing that would push the investors to consider his new film. Lastly, when I say success I don't mean Resident Evil or 28 Days Later level. Resident Evil was a moderate success (shy of 50 mil) and 28 Days Later was a success in relation to its budget (8mil budget, 50 mil gross). For this film to have true impact though, I would think it needs to bank more like the TCM remake, in the neighborhood of 80-100 million, which I think it has the potential to do. At that point, I think Romero's possibilities open up a lot more. Remember, he's looking for like 10-15 million bucks, not 50 million to make his movie. With all this zombie momentum, I think SOMEONE will find the will to do it. I do think there is quite a commercial goldmine is his film with all this zombie stuff going on, and am hoping somebody with $$$ sees it.
Old 03-17-04, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Seantn
Hmmm....I saw the film at a test screening about a month ago, so they might have actually cut it out since then.
I saw it with you at that test screening and I remember the nakked chick zombie. she shows up right when ana pulls up behind the bus. She looks at the nude zombie chick shambling by and then bam, the bus driver trys to car jack her.
Old 03-17-04, 04:21 AM

Welp they just lost the necrophiliac demographic.

I really enjoyed the 10 minute preview. I'll be seeing it Friday afternoon.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.