Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Highlander 2" silly question.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-09-04, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a question regarding Sean Connery's character in "Highlander 2". It's been a while since I saw the movie so like a lazy bum instead of renting it I'm putting my faith in your expertise and knowledge .

Spoiler:
We all know he got his head lopped off in the first movie... In the 2nd movie is he there only in flashbacks or is there some stupid explanation (the silly spaniard got some horse manure to glue his head back on) as to why he's in the 2nd movie?

Thanks!!
Old 03-09-04, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should rename the thread: "Highlander 2" silly movie.

Spoiler:
He helps Connor in the future and appears in flashback to the planet Zeist (or whatever). I don't recall what the explanation was for his return of if there even was one.

das
Old 03-09-04, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Keep in mind that Highlander 2 was SO awful that they ignored it for future sequels. No one should ever, ever watch this movie except as a bizarre curiosity.
Old 03-09-04, 10:19 PM

IIRC, as part of his gift of being the sole survivor, Connor was able to make a wish of some kind. He asked for SC's help.
Old 03-09-04, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's best to pretend Highlander 2 never existed and go from there.
Old 03-10-04, 12:38 AM

Yeah- Connor absently wishes the ole Spaniard were there, and in comes a bolt or 2 of lightning, and voila! There's Sean Connery in the middle of a play.

Oh my god....
Old 03-10-04, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Man ... I put this movie in whenever I need a really big laugh,
Old 03-10-04, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts
Same here. The movie is fun in a really stupid way only because it looks like the cast from Highlander was hired to do a sci-fi movie but they were so stoned they kept calling themselves by the names of their characters in Highlander and the director just went "screw it".

That said, according to the movie they were "bonded" by the Quickening and thus couldn't be separated even in death. Connor decapitates some immortal with too much mascara and while receiving the Quickening yells out "Ra-MEE-rez!!!!" and the good Spaniard returns in the middle of a production of Hamlet.

Now a question I have is, if General Katana (Michael Ironside) was such a badass, why was the Quickening Connor received from his beheading an over glorified fart when what he received (and passed on in the case of the aforementioned ressurection) a much more explosive Quickening when dispatching the lesser henchmen?
Old 03-10-04, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Breakfast with Girls
Keep in mind that Highlander 2 was SO awful that they ignored it for future sequels.
And part three. Highlander III ignored part 2 and Highlander Endgame ignored Highlander II, Highlander III, parts of Highlander and most of Highlander: The Series.

I simply consider each movie and the series a different interpretation of the same characters and themes.
Old 03-10-04, 03:36 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by RocShemp
I simply consider each movie and the series a different interpretation of the same characters and themes.
That's probably a good idea, because I still don't understand how there could be ANY sequels to the first one, where it became clear that Connor was the ONLY immortal left.
Old 03-10-04, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Suprmallet
That's probably a good idea, because I still don't understand how there could be ANY sequels to the first one, where it became clear that Connor was the ONLY immortal left.
You are absolutely correct. That's why, at first, fans of the series thought it took place before the movie until the Kurgan's death was mentioned at it was obvious the series took place during the present. Couldn't possibly be the same universe.
Old 03-10-04, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally posted by mike45
What he said!
Old 03-11-04, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by mike45
"There can be only one"

One movie that is.

Sorry for the bad joke.
Old 03-12-04, 07:27 AM

Received 770 Likes on 503 Posts
But what about the cartoon... that was a spin-off of Highlander II...

Very forgetable, like everything but the first one.
Old 03-12-04, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Goldberg74
But what about the cartoon... that was a spin-off of Highlander II...

Very forgetable, like everything but the first one.
Not quite. In that series, there were a ton of immortals on Earth. In Highlander II the last immortal on Earth was Connor until Khorda and Reno showed up, Ramirez crashed a play and Katana took a ride on a choo choo.

Also, the Ramirez of the cartoon, though obviously imitating Connery, was not the Ramirez of the first and second movie but rather a character with the same last name and spoke with the same accent. Stupid, I know. And the animated series was the first time we saw Connor (well, it was technically off-screen) get his head lopped off (in the first five minutes of the show no less).

Last edited by RocShemp; 03-12-04 at 08:32 AM.