Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Futuristic War or Medieval War? *MxR & ROTK spoiler image*

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: hello
The Matrix Revolutions
25.45%
The Return of the King
74.55%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Futuristic War or Medieval War? *MxR & ROTK spoiler image*

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-04, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm kind of on the fence. I guess Return of the King gets the edge because the scope of the battle is awesome and well illustrated. Revolutions is more interesting, partly because it's less of a centerpiece and the battlefield has a vertical dimension.

Originally posted by Pants
. . . I thought everyone around here pretty much agreed that the Matrix sequels stunk.
Hardly, I found both sequels better than the original.
Old 03-10-04, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Pants
When one sentinal after another comes through a hole, flies around the room, and then gets shot by one of two dozen identical "robo warrior power suit" things, and this continues for 40 minutes, while Neo, the hero of the story, is all but forgotten, THAT'S what I mean by redundant.

I think the winner here is obvious. I can't believe we're even having this discussion, I thought everyone around here pretty much agreed that the Matrix sequals stunk.
OK, I understand, but your argument seems to be more about the way the story was told than the effects used to tell it. There was a lot more going on in Revolutions than a bunch of sentinels flying around a room. I'll agree, that the battle did feel slightly long after a while, but the same could be said about ROTK. One wave of baddies followed by another, then some new good guys show up, then more baddies, etc etc.

And please don't try to end the discussion just because you think you have the majority opinion. This is Movie Talk, and discussion is the whole point.
Old 03-10-04, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
What are we talking about here? The quality of the effects or the impact the scene has on the telling of the story? From a special effects/technical standpoint, Matrix Revolutions is better...but from a storytelling standpoint, ROTK is superior.
Old 03-10-04, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The second time I watched ROTK, the compositing "seams" stood out much more, and to my eye, those effects shots looked rushed. I saw Revolutions many more times, and to me, the effects still looked better, even on an IMAX screen.
Old 03-10-04, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which had more convincing effects? I'd vote Revolutions.

Which did I enjoy more? I'd say ROTK.
Old 03-10-04, 07:45 PM

Well peeps, ROTK only had 1 year work on it, while Rel&Rev had 4 years.. actually, that's not true, but check the amount of effect shots in ROTK they did in 1 year. Danm that's alot.

And btw, if you think they battle is clumsy, wait for the EE, maybe it'll flow better.
Old 03-10-04, 08:01 PM

Anyone knows what's going on up there? Horse no horse?
Old 03-10-04, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think they just cut around the scene where he would have gotten off his horse. He had to get to the gate somehow. It would have been stranger if there was no horse, and then there suddenly was one.
Old 03-10-04, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by aaryn
Well peeps, ROTK only had 1 year work on it, while Rel&Rev had 4 years.. actually, that's not true, but check the amount of effect shots in ROTK they did in 1 year. Danm that's alot.

And btw, if you think they battle is clumsy, wait for the EE, maybe it'll flow better.
Isn't that a bit unfair? It's more like Matrix Rel. and Rev. had four years of work, LoTRs (all three) had 6 or 7 total. I mean, if you honestly believe they started on RoTK's effects shot only one year ago, you're out of your mind. And it's not like they started in on Matrix's shots right at the beginning either.
Old 03-11-04, 12:34 AM
Banned

I was smoking the other day and I noticed that flies congregate on my porch as it offers an eddy of wind. I spent 10 minutes battling them.

That was my favorite battle scene. (if I may offer a third opinion.)
Old 03-11-04, 09:52 AM

Fink, have you noticed that with the horses, they're closer to the gates/orcs, and without the horses, they are much father away? And the horses just disappeared.
Old 03-11-04, 03:00 PM

Originally posted by FinkPish
I think they just cut around the scene where he would have gotten off his horse. He had to get to the gate somehow. It would have been stranger if there was no horse, and then there suddenly was one.
I has to be cutting. Remeber, there was a whole scene cut out that is to be placed in the EE. They go for the charge, whereas in the EE you will see the meeting with the Mouth of Sauron. I imagine thisi s where the continuity error arises.
Old 03-11-04, 03:22 PM
Retired

Medieval by far. I'm much more into fantasy than Sci Fi.
Old 03-11-04, 11:35 PM

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally posted by Kudama
I was smoking the other day and I noticed that flies congregate on my porch as it offers an eddy of wind. I spent 10 minutes battling them.
Hmmm ... must have been smoking something good.