Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Just saw "Night of the Living Dead" (68) for the 1st time..

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-04, 10:08 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 907 Likes on 767 Posts

wow! what a great movie.

i mean i thought it was just a horror movie that had a really, really large fan base. But this is a classic in cinema. The amazingly taut atmosphere that Romero creates from beginning to end with hardly any scenes of gore is truly a cinematic masterpiece in the same league as Psycho.

Of course the homage towards the end is obvious, but I was totally not suspecting that it was a true "film" in every sense of the word. i mean the characters..Ben was an amazing actor and all the others gelledso well.

i saw the remake years back and didn't really think anything of it..didn't even know it was a remake or didn't know anything about the history and other movies in this series, but thankfully i've read and discovered and all the better for it. also, even though i knew what to expect since i saw the remake it still was if it was totally fresh and that to me was stunning.

Truly a pleasant surprise. And since the new "Dawn of the Dead" came in the mail today, I look forward to it even more than I already was (save that for next weekend). And then "Day" which I already had.

So glad I listen to the people here..they really do know what they are talking about

So..thanks!
Old 03-06-04, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
did you have the millenium dvd with the best transfer?
Old 03-06-04, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please don't say the 30th ann. Please don't say the 30th ann.
Old 03-06-04, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
welcome to the zombie army scott.
Old 03-06-04, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It truley is a great film, i also like the Remake as well.
Old 03-07-04, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

honestly, i like the remake better... due to many reasons, pacing, f/x, character (mainly the 2 main characters)...
but the original got better ending (in a way) where the remake got the "to be continued" kind of ending (probably to pay tribute to Dawn of the dead)

just my take
Old 03-07-04, 01:51 AM

I love both the original and the remake, both are amongst my favorite movies, welcome to the zombie army
Old 03-07-04, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Great movie.

They don't make 'em like they used to....
Old 03-07-04, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
One of the scariest parts for me was the grainy filmstock and use of "locals". It gave it such a realistic feel it blew me away.
Old 03-07-04, 03:36 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
This film should be studied for the sense of claustrophobia it creates when everyone is holed up in the house. Also, the ending is so utterly nihilistic. I love it. Gotta watch this again.
Old 03-07-04, 08:36 AM

Yes, the Milennium edition. Excellent transfer. But tell me a couple of times, especially in the beginning I could swear some of the shots looked unevenly edited. It was a bit jarring. One instance was Joe and Barbra in the cemetary, Joe is turning around in the car for some candy and then it quickly jars to him turned around with what he took out. A couple more of these type shots happen when the two are walking in the cemetary as well. IS this correct? This isn't just my disc? I would like to know..

As far as the movie...I mean it simply is a classic work in cinema.

Also, was there mention that the upstairs rotting body was the other daughter of the Cooper's? I didn't think it was, but I saw in credits her last name was Cooper. Why if it wasn't was this made mention?
Old 03-07-04, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, some of those old movies are pretty good....
Old 03-07-04, 09:09 AM
Banned

I don't care for it too much. It's a blantant rip off of Vincent Price's THE LAST MAN ON EARTH, and just misses it for me.

I do enjoy his later Zombie movies.
Old 03-07-04, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Scot1458
I don't care for it too much. It's a blantant rip off of Vincent Price's THE LAST MAN ON EARTH, and just misses it for me.
Ripoff of that film, or influenced by Richard Matheson's I Am Legend (of which LMOE was an adaptation)?
Old 03-07-04, 11:00 AM

yes...but does anyone know about the jarring i am talking about in an earlier post? i want to make sure it is normal. thanks.
Old 03-07-04, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by scott1598
yes...but does anyone know about the jarring i am talking about in an earlier post? i want to make sure it is normal. thanks.
As far as I can tell, it's just inexpereienced editing.
Old 03-07-04, 03:47 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Well, due to this thread and the upcoming hype over Dawn of the Dead: Divimax and the remake, I'm rewatching all three.

Now, I've been embroiled in the "slow zombies vs. fast zombies" debate many times in this forum, and I must say, that first zombie, the one in the cemetary, moved pretty quickly. He wasn't going to win any olympic gold medals, but he certainly wasn't shambling along like a Fulci zombie.
Old 03-07-04, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by scott1598
wow! what a great movie.

So glad I listen to the people here..they really do know what they are talking about

So..thanks!

I do enjoy his later Zombie movies.
Worlds are colliding!

One of you fellas needs a new name so I can keep you straight!

I saw Night and Dawn for the first time this year and really enjoyed them.
Old 03-07-04, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Suprmallet
Well, due to this thread and the upcoming hype over Dawn of the Dead: Divimax and the remake, I'm rewatching all three.

Now, I've been embroiled in the "slow zombies vs. fast zombies" debate many times in this forum, and I must say, that first zombie, the one in the cemetary, moved pretty quickly. He wasn't going to win any olympic gold medals, but he certainly wasn't shambling along like a Fulci zombie.
But I think the Pro-Slow folks were making the point that Zombies are slow most of the time...until prey is within reach then they "come alive". In other words if you saw one down the street it wouldn't suddenly become a sprinter and run after you.
Old 03-07-04, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
Since we're quite a few posts into the thread, I assume I don't have to worry about spoilers.

One thing I find really funny about Night is the way we consider Ben the 'hero'. He seems to be a good leader, we like him better than that jerk Harry. The power struggle between the two of them is played out over whether or not to stay upstairs or hide in the basement. Ben insists on staying upstairs, and as a result everyone else is killed. But then he becomes the only survivor by hiding in the basement! Where they all should have been in the first place.
Old 03-07-04, 06:04 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Mr. M
Worlds are colliding!

One of you fellas needs a new name so I can keep you straight!

I saw Night and Dawn for the first time this year and really enjoyed them.
We're the same person, just different personalities.
Old 03-07-04, 06:10 PM

We're the same person, just different personalities.
No, we're not!
Yes, we are!
No, we're not!...
Old 03-07-04, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Crocker Jarmen
Since we're quite a few posts into the thread, I assume I don't have to worry about spoilers.

One thing I find really funny about Night is the way we consider Ben the 'hero'. He seems to be a good leader, we like him better than that jerk Harry. The power struggle between the two of them is played out over whether or not to stay upstairs or hide in the basement. Ben insists on staying upstairs, and as a result everyone else is killed. But then he becomes the only survivor by hiding in the basement! Where they all should have been in the first place.

I agree. I always felt the basement was the best place.
Old 03-08-04, 08:45 AM

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts
Ahh, a true classic! "They're coming to get you Barbara..."
Old 03-08-04, 09:19 AM

No way, upstairs all the way. One entrance and that can easily be blocked with large objects - dressers, etc. Assuming they bust through that it would be fairly easy to stomp the zombies coming up the stairs because 1) it has to be exceedingly difficult for them to climb, 2) one knock, whether it's a kill or not, would send them reeling, and 3) only one or two can get up there at a time. Plus, you can always hop out the window or onto the roof in and emergency.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.