Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Just saw "Night of the Living Dead" (68) for the 1st time..

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Just saw "Night of the Living Dead" (68) for the 1st time..

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-04, 03:02 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Well, I think the biggest problem with either the basement or the second story is that it effectively locks you in. What's the old adage in warfare? "Never go into a stronghold with only one door" or something like that? I agree that the second story would be easier to defend than the basement, but if you went up onto the roof you're still pretty trapped. If you needed to get down you'd have to jump onto the lawn, which would still be full of zombies.
Old 03-08-04, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,853 Likes on 1,146 Posts
Yeah, for a -long term- shelter the house was never any good. I remember in RETURN of the Living Dead, 2 of the characters went into an attic. However, the dead boyfriend was still able to find them and climb up. Perhaps if they had one of those doors that has the pull up ladder then they woulda been safe. I guess it really depends on the "awareness level" or inteligence of the zombie.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 06-07-04 at 06:18 AM.
Old 03-08-04, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eh, the guys in NoTLD were screwed. Upstairs, downstairs, middle of the house...those zombies were getting in. Truthfully the truck idea was pretty decent had they not screwed it up.
Old 03-08-04, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, no matter how bad these characters messed up, and how the siutuations they put themselves in, I think they were mostly smarter than the characters in modern day teen horror films. For that reason alone, I think it's what makes this such a great film.
Old 03-09-04, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
The upstairs was fine until Cooper screwed things up.
Old 03-09-04, 10:07 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I may be in the minority here, but i found NOTLD to be pretty boring. While the tension that was built was noted, I couldn't find myself enjoying it. I found all of the characters to annoy the hell out of me except for Ben. I just don't get all the fuss. Now I do recognize and appreciate what it brought to the table for the time period it was released, but still. Now Dawn of the Dead was awesome. This movie clicked with me so much more. the characters were better fleshed out, being holed up in the mall was brilliant. The satirical content was outstanding...and the zombie gore and zomie bashing was very entertaining. Made me want to drive around a mall with guns picking off the undead...woohoo.

Just my 2 cents.

Jonathon
Old 03-09-04, 10:50 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
"Also, was there mention that the upstairs rotting body was the other daughter of the Cooper's? I didn't think it was, but I saw in credits her last name was Cooper. Why if it wasn't was this made mention? "

I don't think so. If I remember correctly, they left there REAL house and went to that one. It seems to make sense because they couldn't find anything, and Mr. Cooper would be flipping out that Ben was tearing up his house.
Old 06-07-04, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally posted by scott1598
Also, was there mention that the upstairs rotting body was the other daughter of the Cooper's? I didn't think it was, but I saw in credits her last name was Cooper. Why if it wasn't was this made mention?
Just revisiting this thread and I noticed this question. Kyra Schon is credited in IMDB as Karen Cooper/Upstairs body. The upstairs body isn't named "Cooper". Interestingly enough, she was Karl Hardman's (Harry Cooper) real daughter.
Old 06-07-04, 07:55 AM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
I just finished watching all three Dead movies, I must say I liked Day of the Dead the best even though most people think it's the worst of the 3. I went in knowing what to expect, that the characters weren't exactly very sympathetic, and even though there's little zombie action until near the end when it does come it's fantastic. Savini really perfected his effects to the point where I couldn't tell if some of the body parts were real or fake. That being said I also loved the other 2, I think Night had great atmosphere and was a pioneer in gore and splatter and Dawn had great characters and pioneered the black humor horror genre.
Old 06-07-04, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 195 Likes on 132 Posts
Awesome flick and glad ya liked it - without a doubt it's a true classic. Now what's this "new Dawn of the Dead" Talk? Are you talking about the 2004 Dawn or the new divimax version of the original?