Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movie Cliches we accept/dismiss while viewing.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-06-04, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, so I've had this thought for a long time. Whenever we see a movie, there's usually some kind of Hollywood/Movie Cliche that they throw in there to help move the story along that would never fly in the real world, but we accept it as being okay (consciously or subconsciously) because it's "just a movie."

Let's compile a running list of movie cliches that are definitely out of place.[list=1][*]The Wake-Up Kiss: the most accepted and obvious display of a movie cliche that would never work in real life. This subject has been discussed in movies, even.[*]Car Keys in the Visor: Who does this? No one I know... You'd have to be pretty silly to leave your keys in the car. (Extra - When breaking into cars, people often check the visor for keys, as if people would lock their doors with the keys inside).[*]555-XXXX: For obvious reasons, phone numbers are always prefixed with 555, even though the only number that will work with the 555 prefix is 555-1212 (information).[*]Dialtone Hang-up: This happens when characters are having an arguement on the phone and one decides to hang up. We know this when we hear the dialtone, which seems to come RIGHT after the hang up.[/list=1]
Old 03-06-04, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
555-XXXX: For obvious reasons, phone numbers are always prefixed with 555, even though the only number that will work with the 555 prefix is 555-1212 (information).
For reference look at Bruce Almighty.. this is why they stick with the 555-xxxx

As for adding to the list...

Car stalling, door not opening, window not opening when trying to get away.

Someone always falls when being chased

Cops and the bad luck with retirement

Gun having extended clips with limitless ammo/Not needing for reloading

Gun shot kills a man in one shot and they don't move after they drop

Western guns actually hitting their target.
Old 03-06-04, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
we've had a similar thread before I think...

one that annoys me is how someone always pulls the slide on a pistol or pumps the shotgun to make the victim know they really mean it. Well, they should've grabbed the gun before that cuz it didn't have a round chambered.
Old 03-06-04, 10:18 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
i like the one where one person is on the phone and if they don't pan to the other person talking on the line..the person that is shown must answer by repeating what the other person "must have said" (off camera that is) ya know what i mean? i see that a lot...
Old 03-06-04, 10:19 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Also...the good guy never gets killed in the beginning..very cliche!
Old 03-06-04, 10:43 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I've never tried it, but I see no reason why a "Wake Up Kiss" wouldn't work in real life.
Old 03-07-04, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton

Thats possible if he gets shot in the right part of the brain.

Last edited by Robert; 03-07-04 at 12:09 AM.
Old 03-07-04, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The racist soldier has a sudden change of heart after his life is saved by the very man he demeans.

(i.e. The Patriot and Windtalkers)
Old 03-07-04, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

People don't sleep naked unless its some kind of sex thriller, they usually wear :

-Full button down Pajamas
-Slippers
-Robe

Kids all have long floppy hair and have an arsenal of quick one liners. There aren't too many dimbulb childen in the leading family, unless there is a ridiculously cliched, glasses wearing, science nerd in the family

Cocaine automatically either destroys or turns people into raving lunatics. There are no functioning bumpheads

Drunk Drivers never get home safe

We all sing "For s/he's a jolly good fellow" when someone brings out a birthday cake

People always live with intimately groomed back of necks. I mean in life, sometimes you see some bastard with a lot of hair needing a trim on the back of their neck, but even the mangiest guy in ANY movie has a perfectly groomed delination between head and shoulders.

Italians always are in the mob or want to be
Old 03-07-04, 01:22 AM

Speaking of being naked, no one ever really dries themselves off when getting out of the shower, they just wrap a towel around themselves.

SO FAKE!
Old 03-07-04, 01:57 AM

kind of a general cliche, poetic justice never happens in real life, every day life isn't fair
...good guys never finish first, losers never get the girl
Old 03-07-04, 02:55 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by The Nature Boy
Cocaine automatically either destroys or turns people into raving lunatics. There are no functioning bumpheads
Except for Mia in Pulp Fiction.

A computer wizard types furiously on a computer and the letters on the screen come up as if they're being typed by a third grader.

Someone gets shot and is blown backwards through a glass window/mirror.
Old 03-07-04, 06:16 AM

Something I always hate in movies is how airbags stay inflated, they actually deflate nearly as fast as they inflate. What is really sad is that a good deal of people actually believe that they stay inflated and you can even buy tools for cars that have something to puncture an airbag incase you are in an accident.
Old 03-07-04, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Old actors(Connery, Eastwood, et al) chasing the bad guy without passing out from exhaustion.

Cops showing up right when the bad guy is killed...not a second before.

People angrily yelling at each other then suddenly kissing and having sex. Oh yeah right....
Old 03-07-04, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
I love how no one ever uses a mouse on the computer. Everything is done on the keyboard.

taking a grainy security camera tape of a villian who is 30 feet away and they can zoom in and sharpen the image perfectly to see who it is. IMPOSSIBLE!
Old 03-07-04, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You know what i don't like about the 555 prefix, it is too noticeable. The sequence of three repeated numbers just stands out too much. If it was just some random numbers like 348, or 496, it could be in every movie and still sound natural. Anyway on with the cliches.

When making a call the recipient always answer the phone by the third ring.

Usually when a character turns on a tv, it will be on the news channel and the anchorman/woman will start out by saying "..Once again, [Plot point]...". If the character just received a phone call telling them to turn on the TV this is guaranteed to happen.

Hair and cloths dry almost instantly.

All computers, databases and electronically controlled systems are connected to "the internet".
Old 03-07-04, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Notice in "The Man with No Name" trilogy how the henchmen always die instantly but the lead baddie always has to stumble around gasping for a last breath.
Old 03-07-04, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Giantrobo
Old actors(Connery, Eastwood, et al) chasing the bad guy without passing out from exhaustion.
You haven't seen Eastwood's Blood Work.
Old 03-07-04, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

explain what you mean.
Old 03-07-04, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

kind of a general cliche, poetic justice never happens in real life, every day life isn't fair
...good guys never finish first, losers never get the girl
You haven't seen The Last American Virgin.
Old 03-07-04, 04:29 PM

some of my unfavourite cliches ..

1. The dramatic final 10 second countdown until the bomb explodes with the clock timer counting down each second ... which takes about 60 seconds in screen time.

2. People who incessantly cock a pistol to ready it. There's ALREADY a round in the chamber, jack-ass.

3. When someone empties a pistol, and the mechanism doesn't slide back into a locked position to show that it is empty, like with (nearly?) every pistol .. but instead, the empty pistol's mechanism stays forward, as if there is actually a round in the chamber .. and thereby taking the good-goy / bad-guy by surprise that the pistol is actually empty of rounds.
Old 03-07-04, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

* The thing that always gets me is when someone is hit on the head they always get knocked out on the first blow. Also, some of these people should get brain damage or die from the impact.

* Character verbally reciting what he's thinking just to convey information to the audience. This tactic disgusts me! Screenwriters who do this should be burned in effigy.

* The conman/thief/spy giving away his secrets or private money stash to someone he trusts (usually a kid or woman) when he's in peril only to be double-crossed by them afterwards. Don't these idiots have enough experience to not do this?

The most overused phrase in the history of film....

OH MY GOD!

Law & Order is guilty of this with every opening sequence.

Last edited by cupon; 03-07-04 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-07-04, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
one i can't stand. main character is about to get their brains blown in by somebody, but then out of no where, someobody just so happens to be there and shoot the bad guy dead.
Old 03-07-04, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
I love how no one ever uses a mouse on the computer. Everything is done on the keyboard.

RIGHT! I was going to post something like that!

Someone asks a character to do something and instead of using the mouse to click a command they start typing furiously on the keyboard.
Old 03-07-04, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Five Cent Deposit
You haven't seen Eastwood's Blood Work.
Actually that movie inspired my comment. I just saw it last weekend. However,
Spoiler:
old characters with young latina hearts don't count

Last edited by Giantrobo; 03-07-04 at 08:00 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.