Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

'The Day After Tomorrow' - New Trailer

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

'The Day After Tomorrow' - New Trailer

Old 03-05-04, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by syphon00
I thought the obsession with disaster movies was like a late 90's thing
Try telling that to George Kennedy...

Old 03-05-04, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow...... thats all i have to say......

well no but.... the wow factor is there and i am so there opening night.
Old 03-05-04, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm there.

Interestingly enough, the sudden climatic shift due to the change in the ocean currents is a plausable theaory. Try searching around for "sudden climatic shift".
Old 03-05-04, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That trailer did nothing for me. But than again the only emmerich movie I like is the Patriot. highly overrated filmmaker...
Old 03-05-04, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It looks so bad - count me in!!!

I love dumb disaster flicks like this.
Old 03-05-04, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by TylerDurden_73
That trailer did nothing for me. But than again the only emmerich movie I like is the Patriot. highly overrated filmmaker...
I wouldn't really say he's overrated. It's not like he recieves a lot of praise for the work he's done.
Old 03-06-04, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
When I first heard of the movie a few months ago, I thought it might focus more on, oh I don't know, the day after all the events. That is, it would show all the destruction first off, and then show how people dealt with it for the bulk of the movie. That intrigued me.

I'm still hoping for that scenario, but the trailer kind of left me thinking I was wrong.

Last edited by SunMonkey; 03-06-04 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-06-04, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looks like it's right down my alley. I grew up on The Poseidon Adventure, Earthquake and Towering Inferno.

I just showed my wife the trailer and she's sold. We'll be there.
Old 03-06-04, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm glad the trailer did not hint at any sappy romantic sub-plot.
Old 03-06-04, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by SirPablo
I'm there.

Interestingly enough, the sudden climatic shift due to the change in the ocean currents is a plausable theaory. Try searching around for "sudden climatic shift".
but in the trailer it looks like they focus on some organization that tries to prevent it or are too late to stop it or something. Or perhaps they were just too late in evacuating people... I dunno. Anyway, the idea that they can stop ocean currents from shifting and that it is too late just kinda bothers me.
Old 03-06-04, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Hopefully, the disaster will happen in the first half of the film rather that right at the end...

The special effects look fantastic...the acting looks horrible. I kept cringing at Dennis Quaid's lines...and we KNOW he's a good actor...so it's the director's fault for not pulling a better performance out of him. "I will come and get you...do... you ...understand?!?!" Yes Dennis, we understand because you said...it...so...slow...for...us.
Old 03-06-04, 10:33 PM

When I first heard of the movie a few months ago, I thought it might focus more on, oh I don't know, the day after all the events. That is, it would show all the destruction first off, and then show how people dealt with it for the bulk of the movie. That intrigued me.
My sentiments exactly... The special effects look outstanding but I enjoy apocalyptic movies for a different reason:

I love when the movie focuses more on mankind adapting to a radically changed uncivilized environment. And the contrast between different schools of thought demonstrated various ways in the new environment such as one based more on humanity / civilization and others based more on an oppressive / survival of the fittest dictate.
Old 03-06-04, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by SunMonkey
Since all of Emmerich's past three films have clocked in around two and a half hours, I wouldn't be shocked if this film was two and a half hours too. I wonder if the film will be set up like ID4 ...

Act 1: Introductions to the film's character and story. Total destruction at the end of the act.
Act 2: Film's characters try to make of what just happened and try to find ways to resolve the problem.
Act 3: Resolving the problem.
Old 03-07-04, 11:24 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
[B

By the way, that trailer is great. We haven't seen a huge, gigantic "blow tons of shit up" film in a while. [/B]
Yeah, we haven't seen that for... like 4 or 5 months now.
Old 03-07-04, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, we haven't seen that for... like 4 or 5 months now.
I haven't personally seen an action film in a while that has been:

A) Good.
B) Watchable.
C) Total "style over substance."

The last two were Bad Boys II and 2 Fast 2 Furious and those were more "destroy shit up" (like cars and boats and houses) and not "blow tons of shit up" (like actual cities).
Old 03-07-04, 12:43 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I don't know. The plotline looks to be dull, standard fare that we've seen a million times in this kind of movie. Which means that all that's left is the special effects, and chances are we've seen all the "money shots" in the trailers already.
Old 03-07-04, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by SunMonkey

I'm still hoping for that scenario, but the trailer kind of left me thinking I was wrong.
That's my exact thinking on this movie.

I'm really, really, really wavering on whether or not I want to see this.
Old 03-07-04, 01:18 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
I haven't personally seen an action film in a while that has been:

A) Good.
B) Watchable.
C) Total "style over substance."

The last two were Bad Boys II and 2 Fast 2 Furious and those were more "destroy shit up" (like cars and boats and houses) and not "blow tons of shit up" (like actual cities).
2 FAST 2 FURIOUS Huh?

OK, good to know...
Old 03-07-04, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
I'm on board for this one since IMO the trailer looked great visually. Will it be a mindless flick where things blow up, probably, but summer is the time usually reserved for eye candy so what can you do.
Old 03-07-04, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by scott shelton
2 FAST 2 FURIOUS Huh?

OK, good to know...
Thanks for your explanation.

Anyway, i tihnk Matthew is right, there hasn't been a big disaster movie like this. Watching entire cities get leveled is not the same as watching a few cars blow up.
Old 03-07-04, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyway, i tihnk Matthew is right, there hasn't been a big disaster movie like this.
There was The Core last year, but that wasn't a "big disaster" movie (nor was it any good) like Twister, Indepedence Day, Deep Impact, and Armageddon. This is the first "true" big disaster film since 1998 basically. I kinda take that back now, we also had The Perfect Storm in 2000, but that only involved a few people on a boat.

And in all honesty, disaster films aren't well known for plot. They're big and flashy and all are style over substance. Just look at Airport, The Poseidon Adventure (the sequel doesn't count as it sucks), The Towering Inferno, Earthquake, and Rollercoaster (hey, I liked it). People want to be amazed by the visuals and want to be entertained for two hours. Nothing more, nothing else. If Roland Emmerich serves up the fun that he brought to the table with ID4 (and doesn't bring the shit that was Godzilla and The Patriot), then I'm there opening day.
Old 03-07-04, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by lisadoris
Will it be a mindless flick where things blow up, probably, but summer is the time usually reserved for eye candy so what can you do.
Probably?! Are you serious?
Old 03-07-04, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally posted by cupon
Probably?! Are you serious?
Hey I'm trying to give the people involved the benefit of the doubt - I try not to completely judge a film before I've seen it. We never know, there could be some deep "save the environment" message in there (I doubt it but you never know).
Old 03-08-04, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
I only hope the movie can deliver what the trailer promises.

That scene with the people running through the city just ahead of a huge wall of water was excellent.

I think it looks fabulous....
Old 03-08-04, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The movie looks like another Independance Day hence the same director.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.