Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 02-28-04, 10:19 AM   #1
whynotsmile
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

CLub Dread

Mixed bag. I was in the mood for a real silly comedy, and for the first 20-30 minutes it delievered great. it was rather hilarious, with a lot of lines and jokes i'll be quoting with friends for a while. But then it got bad. real bad. THere would be 3-4 minutes without telling jokes! They tried to really make it a horror film, with so many jump scenes and graphic murders. And none of it was funny, because they didnt add freakin jokes! I felt this was right on par with super troopers. some funny stuff mixed in with a lot of boring, unfunny crap. THese guys have talent and are very funny, but they need some outside help in the writing and directing and editing of their movies.

plus, it seemed really damn long. I think it was only 1:45 minutes, but the middle dragged so much it felt way over 2 hours
Old 02-28-04, 10:49 AM   #2
Mopower
DVD Talk Legend

I thought it was ok. Had funny moments. Couple of laugh out loud moments. But not nearly as funny as Super Troopers. Seeing Brittany Daniel in next to nothing the whole movie was worth admission in itself.
Old 02-28-04, 11:42 AM   #3
The Baumer
Suspended

i give it 1 outta 5 stars. the beginning was good, but that was it. it needed more gratuitous nudity throughout.
Old 02-28-04, 03:52 PM   #4
Trigger
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think it was on par with Super Troopers. ST was alot more funny. As everyone else is saying, it started out good and funny but the third act dragged its feet. I think they have alot of potential and hopefully a third (fourth) effort will have them hitting their stride. I'd hate to see outside influences completely obliterate the quirky and clumsy nature of their filmmaking.
Old 02-28-04, 03:55 PM   #5
Jackskeleton
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I didn't think it was anywhere near Super Troopers. I agree with trigger on this. Anyone know what outside influences were there that might have screwed up the film?

Needed more gratuitous nudity.
Old 02-28-04, 07:08 PM   #6
Matthew Chmiel
DVD Talk Legend

I enjoyed the film, but it was no Super Troopers.

While Super Troopers was mostly hit, Club Dread has it's share of hits and misses when it comes to the jokes in the film. The problem I had with the third act, is that the film didn't know if it wanted to be a slasher or a comedy where the first two acts (not perfectly) blended the two genres.

I liked the film, but I've seen funnier this year (Eurotrip and The Girl Next Door come to mind).

Spoiler:
Oh man, when I saw USA High's Elena Lyons get naked, my penis started t.... eh... nevermind, that's more for the Mature forum. But let me just say this, it was nice to see her topless after lusting after her when I was a pre-teen when that show was on the air.
Old 02-28-04, 09:45 PM   #7
fumanstan
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks Matthew, i wanted to see this before, but i now have a bigger reason to watch this movie.

VG Round 1b | VG Round 7 | NFL
Old 02-29-04, 03:54 PM   #8
Trigger
DVD Talk Legend

If you guys are talking about the chick who played penel-ope, she was all ribs and bad implants. I kinda threw up in my mouth a little when she took her shirt off.
Old 02-29-04, 04:36 PM   #9
Matthew Chmiel
DVD Talk Legend

No Trigger. I'm not talking about Penel-ope (who was played by Cabin Fever's Jordan Ladd), I'm talking about Elena Lyons.

Spoiler:
Elena Lyons is the first female to appear in the film, the one with the brown hair. She's the one going down on the pot head before he's killed, then the blonde hair girl is killed, and then she is killed... cue opening title.

BTW, after much thought, I think the film's "real life depection of the game Pac-Man" is one of the most brilliant things I have ever seen in a major motion picture.
Old 02-29-04, 05:05 PM   #10
Jackskeleton
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Quote:
BTW, after much thought, I think the film's "real life depection of the game Pac-Man" is one of the most brilliant things I have ever seen in a major motion picture.
I couldn't agree with you more. Amazing.
Old 02-29-04, 05:08 PM   #11
Trigger
DVD Talk Legend

I don't understand how you guys know the names of all these obscure girls. Does this have something to do with Maxim or Stuff or Spank or whatever?

Anyway - I totally agree about the Pac Man... that was quite brilliant.
Old 02-29-04, 05:20 PM   #12
Matthew Chmiel
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I don't understand how you guys know the names of all these obscure girls. Does this have something to do with Maxim or Stuff or Spank or whatever?
When I was a pathetic little thirteen year old, everyday at 5:30pm, I would watch USA High on USA Network and Elena Lyons was a cast member on it. The show was a pathetic Saved by the Bell rip-off, but I had nothing better to do.

Five years later, how I still remember her name, is pretty much beyond me.
Old 02-29-04, 05:23 PM   #13
Trigger
DVD Talk Legend

I think I've seen USA High a few times, but I wouldn't be able to point out someone who was in it let alone remember their name.
Old 02-29-04, 07:16 PM   #14
milo bloom
DVD Talk Legend

Not nearly as bad as I was expecting. The jokes did seem to die off after a while, and it tried to turn into a serious slasher flick.

Liked the gratuitous nudity

Spinehunting - picking up used Criterion DVDs.
Old 02-29-04, 10:14 PM   #15
fumanstan
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
When I was a pathetic little thirteen year old, everyday at 5:30pm, I would watch USA High on USA Network and Elena Lyons was a cast member on it. The show was a pathetic Saved by the Bell rip-off, but I had nothing better to do.

Five years later, how I still remember her name, is pretty much beyond me.
I remember her from that show too. Saved by the Bell ripoffs rule.

Old 03-01-04, 07:40 AM   #16
Trigger
DVD Talk Legend

Wasn't there a saved by the bell ripoff called California Dreamin or something where the kids were in a band together and one of the kids was clearly 35 years old and wore a leather jacket and acted all tuff?
Old 03-01-04, 08:02 AM   #17
B.A.
DVD Talk Hero

Trigger, yes there was a California Dreams. And I think Kelly Packard was in it. Edit to add - just checked and she was. I'm going back to my hole now.
Old 03-01-04, 08:59 AM   #18
Adam Tyner
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Trigger
I think I've seen USA High a few times, but I wouldn't be able to point out someone who was in it let alone remember their name.
Sadly, I could probably point out everyone in the main cast except the Lead Male Heartthrob, who's kind of indistinguishable from the Lead Male Heartthrob in all those dozens of other Peter Engel series. Kristen Miller should be pretty easy to spot -- she's gone on to do a bunch of stuff. Angela Visser was once Miss Universe, and she also co-starred in my second favorite Killer Tomatoes flick, Killer Tomatoes Eat France.
"When you're in your twenties, you wonder what everyone's thinking of you. When you're in your thirties, you don't care what people think of you. And when you reach your forties, you find out no one was ever thinking of you in the first place."
-Patton Oswalt
Old 03-01-04, 01:59 PM   #19
Patman
DVD Talk Hero

Jordan Ladd has implants?
Old 03-01-04, 09:58 PM   #20
Mopower
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Patman
Jordan Ladd has implants?
Obviously. It looked as if they implanted two tennis balls in there.
Old 03-01-04, 11:14 PM   #21
whynotsmile
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

penelope had a nice rack, but the blonde chick was hotter. and whats this about the pac man game? i didnt find it that funny. i mean, it didn't look like pac man at all. unless im an idiot, i dont rememer fruit in pacman. only ghosts and dots. and the guy drank from an orange at the end of hte race. how in the shit is this pacman?
Old 03-01-04, 11:17 PM   #22
fumanstan
DVD Talk Hero

The fruit in Pac Man made you able to eat the Ghosts. Duh!

Old 03-01-04, 11:34 PM   #23
Jackskeleton
DVD Talk Godfather

sheesh, how wrong can you be? The fruit was bonus points that showed up randomly. the blinking slightly bigger dots are what let you eat ghost. In the case of the real life game, the drinking equaled the blinking dots. duh!
Old 03-01-04, 11:49 PM   #24
fumanstan
DVD Talk Hero

Oops! Stupid fruit!

Old 03-01-04, 11:54 PM   #25
Matthew Chmiel
DVD Talk Legend

Reasons why the game of Pac-Man was brilliantly portrayed in Club Dread:

1. A hedge maze was used.
2. Drinking was involved for the bigger "yellow" dots in able to "eat" the "Ghosts."
3. When said person got to drink, the "Ghosts" went from clothed to being in bikinis.
4. Fruit would come in and out of the maze.
5. The intimate relationship between the Pretzel and Watermelon.
6. The use of actual Pac-Man music.
7. The fact that Broken Lizard actually came up with a "real-life" game of Pac-Man to play at an island resort is genius.
Sponsored Links