Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 02-28-04, 01:09 AM   #1
gerrythedon
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Robert Rodriguez will direct "Sin City"

Robert Rodriguez Bringing Sin City to Life Source: Dimension Films Thursday, February 26, 2004

Robert Rodriguez ("Spy Kids" franchise, Once Upon A Time In Mexico) will direct the feature film based on the Sin City series of comic books and graphic novels created, written, and illustrated by Frank Miller, it was announced today by Dimension Chairman Bob Weinstein.

Sin City is a series of stories of vengeance and redemption set in the grimiest, toughest city in the world. The film will incorporate storylines from three of Frank Miller's graphic novels including "Sin City," which launched the long-running, critically acclaimed series, as well as "That Yellow Bastard" and "The Big Fat Kill".

Miller, creator of the character "Electra," has worked on some of the most important and best-selling comic books and graphic novels over the past two decades including "Dark Knight Returns" and 'Daredevil." Miller's longest running original series is "Sin City." His 'Hard Boiled' graphic novel is currently in development with Warner Brothers and Saturn Pictures.

"Robert Rodriguez came to me with a bold, coherent plan for bringing my baby to the screen," said Frank Miller. "I'm jumping at the chance. This is gonna be a whole new kind of crime movie."

"This is the first time a graphic novel will be treated with absolute respect in how it is brought to the life. My pitch to Frank was that I didn't want to adapt 'Sin City', but rather translate it to the screen. I also wanted him involved in every aspect of the production, including sharing in the directing. If you look at his books, you see that in a way they are already the best written, shot, and directed 'movies' never seen in a theater," said Robert Rodriguez.

"We are tremendously excited to have such a visionary filmmaker as Robert Rodriguez bring his unique perspective to 'Sin City'," said Dimension Chairman Bob Weinstein.

Rodriguez and producer Elizabeth Avellan will produce the project through their Troublemaker Studios label.

Andrew Rona and Brad Weston, Co-Presidents of Dimension, will oversee the project for the studio.

[COMINGSOON.com]
Just when all seems fine and I'm pain free. You jab another pin, you jab another pin in me.
Old 02-28-04, 01:34 AM   #2
Rogue588
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I opened this thread saying:

"Please don't let it say starring Josh Hartnett. Please don't let it say starring Josh Hartnett."

There's no mention of him in the article. I read on some entertainment ticker that he was starring in it. Let's all pray it's not true.

| owned | desired | ditchin' | listen Wednesday 10p |
Old 02-28-04, 02:01 AM   #3
Jackskeleton
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Aslong as he doesn't do the whole "shot, chop, and score" thing again as it didn't really work out so well in Once Upon a Time In Mexico.

He's a good director but come on... it's a team effort.
Old 02-28-04, 06:55 AM   #4
jrsl76
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dear God, help us. This sucks. I really wish they wouldn't turn this into a movie, particularly by Robert Roderiguez. Once Upon a Time in Mexico really sucked and this material is too good for him to destroy. I have the slightest inkling of hope since Frank Miller seems optimistic about the movie. Roderiguez has made a couple of fun movies: El Mariachi, Desperado, Spy Kids is alright, and some pretty bad ones: Mexico, From Dust till Dawn, but I have yet to see him make a great one. Hopefully, this will be it.?!?
Old 02-28-04, 08:03 AM   #5
devilshalo
DVD Talk Hero

Well, he supposedly has Frank's blessing. I'd rather see him do Hard Boiled or Ronin. Actually.. that's not true. I'd rather see him not do any at all.
Old 02-28-04, 11:44 AM   #6
The Antipodean
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can see this -- but man, it really needs to be black and white. With Mickey Rourke as Marv.
Old 02-28-04, 01:46 PM   #7
BJacks
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Rodriguez told me his next project was Mike Allred's Madman, so I guess we'll see.
Old 02-28-04, 09:07 PM   #8
Josh-da-man
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by BJacks
Rodriguez told me his next project was Mike Allred's Madman, so I guess we'll see.
Hasn't Rodriguez been trying to get Madman made for years?
"Two guys in a bathroom stall it feels like the most important place in the whole world in that moment. I've actually gone into bathroom stalls with friends since I quit, just so I still have a little bit of that bonding." - Lars Ulrich
Old 02-29-04, 12:03 AM   #9
BJacks

Quote:
Originally posted by Josh-da-man
Hasn't Rodriguez been trying to get Madman made for years?
He optioned it years ago, and when I spoke to him for the Once Upon a Time in Mexico stuff, I asked him for a status update. He said he planned on beginning production on it later this year, which seems impossible if he's going to start on Sin City. Guess we'll see, though.

On another interesting note, I asked him if there were any other comic characters he would be interested in adapting for film, and he replied, "No, not really."
Old 02-29-04, 12:39 AM   #10
jrsl76
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Well, thats also discouraging. It looks like Rodriguez is taking all my favorite 90s comics so he can ruin them. Now if only get his hands on Preacher and Bone, his work would be complete.
Old 02-29-04, 04:39 AM   #11
UKingdom
Banned

He's been planning to make this for a while. He filmed the first 9-10 minutes before even getting permission to make the film, then flew Frank Miller down to screen it, telling him how much he wanted to direct the film and also basically saying if you don't like what you see, then at least you have a cool short film to show your friends.

Apparently Miller was blown away and gave Rodriguez his full blessings to make the film. Rodriguez says Miller will "co-direct" the film with him since he's basically adapting the material to the big screen. Apparently the visual style of the film will be a big surprise to most moviegoers...I'm anticipating a cool black on white CG enhanced look to mimic the comic, something that certainly has never been done on film.

Final casting is yet to be complete, but Hartnett is not the main role. Apparently it's a dream cast that rivals the upcoming Batman flick.
Old 02-29-04, 10:35 AM   #12
Doctorwho

Didn't daredevil have bendis, miller, and smith supporting it? I trust rodriguez that it will be good, but not miller.

and DK2 sucked.
Old 02-29-04, 02:48 PM   #13
BJacks

Quote:
Originally posted by Doctorwho
Didn't daredevil have bendis, miller, and smith supporting it? I trust rodriguez that it will be good, but not miller. And DK2 sucked.
I wasn't too impressed with DK2 either, but you can't blame the Daredevil movie on Miller by a longshot.
Old 02-29-04, 04:40 PM   #14
Matthew Chmiel
DVD Talk Legend

As long as the film is more like The Faculty, From Dusk Till Dawn, El Marachi, and Desperado and less like Once Upon a Time in Mexico and the Spy Kids trilogy (ESPECIALLY Spy Kids 3D), then I will see this.

Rodriguez just didn't have a good year in 2003.
Old 02-29-04, 07:59 PM   #15
clemente
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Several years ago this would have seemed like awesome news....and as much as I don't want to bring the "what have you done for me lately" attitutude into it....his last few movies have been barely watchable (IMO).

I don't worry about him making a bad Sin City movie, i just worry about him making a bad movie, period.
Old 02-29-04, 08:09 PM   #16
sararekuforever

I like Rodriguez work...I have read tons of interviews with him and while some may think his work is not the best, I like how it feels that he really puts all his effort and heart into it..and really wants to keep working with small crews and do as much as he can himself..

I haven't seen "Mexico", but have seen the first two Spy Kids, as well as Mariachi and Desperado..they were good movies in my opinion..

Hopefully it won't be black and white CG....I don't know about the story much..or the comic..so having it been in black and white just to please the fans will be kind upsetting for people who know nothing about it;
Old 02-29-04, 08:30 PM   #17
TopHatCat64

Quote:
Originally posted by sararekuforever

Hopefully it won't be black and white CG....I don't know about the story much..or the comic..so having it been in black and white just to please the fans will be kind upsetting for people who know nothing about it;
It wouldn't be about pleasing the fans, it would be about portraying Sin City as it is supposed to be. It NEEDS to be in black and white otherwise you lose half of the atmosphere and mystery and that makes the comics so great (the other half being Miller's superb writing).

Last edited by TopHatCat64; 02-29-04 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-29-04, 10:14 PM   #18
Gamblor187
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
I wasn't too impressed with DK2 either, but you can't blame the Daredevil movie on Miller by a longshot.
No, but Miller can take some blame for Robocop 2 and 3.

jim

Last edited by Gamblor187; 02-29-04 at 11:20 PM.
Old 03-01-04, 10:18 AM   #19
Dr. DVD
DVD Talk Legend

I think this is great news and loved Once Upon a Time in Mexico. The Faculty is the only Rodriguez flick I didn't really care for.
Old 03-22-04, 02:29 AM   #20
Krug
DVD Talk Special Edition

QT to join Robert Rodriguez in directing Sin City

http://www.icv2.com/articles/home/4466.html

Edited subject: Oops.

Last edited by Krug; 03-22-04 at 02:53 AM.
Old 03-22-04, 02:41 AM   #21
Supermallet
Time Lord

George Lucas is co-directing SIN CITY!?! Whaaaaaat?

Is this some unheard of kid who happens to share the same name as the man who created Star Wars?

As for QT, great news.
Old 03-22-04, 02:45 AM   #22
JBurns24

I think that the article just meant that Lucas wasn't part of the director's guild
Old 03-22-04, 02:53 AM   #23
Krug
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oops tried to correct the subject but didn't work..
Old 03-22-04, 02:56 AM   #24
Supermallet
Time Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by JBurns24
I think that the article just meant that Lucas wasn't part of the director's guild
Hmm, that may be. It would certainly make more sense. I cannot imagine Lucas working on a Sin City movie.
Old 03-22-04, 04:43 AM   #25
QuiGonJosh
Banned

I could...and it'd be cool...
Sponsored Links