Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Robert Rodriguez will direct "Sin City"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Robert Rodriguez will direct "Sin City"

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-04, 04:56 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
I could...and it'd be cool...
I won't turn this into a Lucas bashing/defending thread, but even as much as I know you don't like Lucas, you still wouldn't agree that he might be ill-suited to something like Sin City? I'm not attacking him, I just don't think that because someone is good at one thing doesn't mean they're good at another.

I wouldn't ask Woody Allen to direct an action movie, for example, even though I love Woody Allen. I just think Lucas would not be a good fit for something like Sin City.
Old 03-22-04, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,884 Posts
George Lucas directing "Sin City" would mean a CGI Marv.
Old 03-22-04, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
Mickey Rourke is perfect casting for a movie like Sin City.
Old 03-22-04, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by JBurns24
I think that the article just meant that Lucas wasn't part of the director's guild
That's what I got out of it.

More casting news:
http://www.moviepoopshoot.com/news/mar04/93.html
Old 03-22-04, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts
So the film is going to be co-directed by Rodriguez, Miller and Tarantino? Oh, I gotta see this. The film will apparently consist of 3 intertwined vignettes. Does this mean that each co-director will direct a different vignette and it will then be edited together? I'm not sure how having three directors would work otherwise, logistically speaking.

I love Miller's comic, so I am really looking forward to seeing this film.
Old 03-22-04, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by cultshock
So the film is going to be co-directed by Rodriguez, Miller and Tarantino? Oh, I gotta see this. The film will apparently consist of 3 intertwined vignettes. Does this mean that each co-director will direct a different vignette and it will then be edited together? I'm not sure how having three directors would work otherwise, logistically speaking.

I love Miller's comic, so I am really looking forward to seeing this film.
I can't imagine that's what they have in mind. Granted, if it were Rodriguez and Tarantino and another director, that would make sense. But Miller is no director...I can see why they'd want him on board (duh) and I can see what he can add as a co-director, but I couldn't see him handling a whole segment himself. Instead I imagine he'll be integral in realizing the look of the movie, along with guiding the screenplay and character acting and styles to fit the original Sin City. Where does Tarantino fit into this? Who the hell knows...nonetheless, a very interesting project...RR has some good ideas, Miller brings his knowledge and style, and maybe Tarantino can act as overseer and make sure these two turn out a quality film since, well, he's the only one of the three I think is truly a great filmmaker. Rodriguez is decent, but can be very sloppy, and Miller is...well he's never directed anything. Anyway, I'm just saying I doubt they'll split it up Four Room style.

I mean we've seen two directors work side by side many a time, so three I would imagine would be somewhat similar. Wachowski Bros, Hughes Bros, Farrely Bros, Marc Caro & Jean Pierre Jeunet. Just add one more person.
Old 03-22-04, 09:26 PM

Umm, what's Sin City?
Old 03-22-04, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts
Originally posted by jaeufraser
I can't imagine that's what they have in mind. Granted, if it were Rodriguez and Tarantino and another director, that would make sense. But Miller is no director...I can see why they'd want him on board (duh) and I can see what he can add as a co-director, but I couldn't see him handling a whole segment himself. Instead I imagine he'll be integral in realizing the look of the movie, along with guiding the screenplay and character acting and styles to fit the original Sin City. Where does Tarantino fit into this? Who the hell knows...nonetheless, a very interesting project...RR has some good ideas, Miller brings his knowledge and style, and maybe Tarantino can act as overseer and make sure these two turn out a quality film since, well, he's the only one of the three I think is truly a great filmmaker
Now I've read that Tarantino will supposedly be on board as a "guest director" for one of the 3 segments.

You are probably right about Miller. I was just half thinking that maybe Miller had aspirations to direct a film and Rodriguez was giving him a opportunity to take a shot at it in exchange for Miller allowing him the rights to Sin City. Just a half assed theory of mine that probably could be a bad idea if it happened.
Old 03-22-04, 10:59 PM
Doctorwho

Originally posted by Painkiller
Umm, what's Sin City?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

It's this crime comic book, it's real dark and gritty and drawn like the pictures. It's good, not great.

You can read part of it here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1569...34#reader-page
Old 05-20-04, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sin City footage.

DROOL!

http://www.themoviebox.net/movies/20...nCity/footage/
Old 05-20-04, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Green

Screen

?

Jigga what?

Certainly looks interesting... but it could definitely swing either way...
Old 05-20-04, 11:37 PM

Just loop that 50 times (cutting out all parts not Alba) and I'll buy a ticket or two, and wait for the extended edition DVD. Plot schlmot.
Old 05-20-04, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts
3 words.

Jessica. Alba. Stripper.

I'm so there.
Old 05-20-04, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Once I got past oogling Alba's incredible body, I thought about hte movie. And...well...it's deinfately interesting. Now, I'm not a big fan of Rodriguez...a lot of his movies seem...rushed and incomplete, just somewhat good ideas not taken to execution.

But this project is interesting...is the whole thing being shot green screen? I've heard he's doing special effects processes so the film will emulate the look of the comic to an effect we hadn't seen before. Well...I am interested...can't wait to see what it looks like.
Old 05-21-04, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
sounds like a good dvd at least. I hope she actually strips or else she really should not be called a stripper.
Old 05-21-04, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
whoa.

she put on some pounds...

[thank god]
Old 05-21-04, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by jaeufraser
. Now, I'm not a big fan of Rodriguez...a lot of his movies seem...rushed and incomplete, just somewhat good ideas not taken to execution.
Same here. I enjoyed EL Mariachi for what it was. But everything since has been a letdown. With Rodriguez doing "Sin City" and "Princess of Mars" its exciting on one hand that these projects are getting made but one wished that they were in the hands of a more competent director.
Old 05-21-04, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,884 Posts
Holy God, Jessica looks hot.

(In the comics, Nancy, the character she's playing, strips compeletely nude. I hope that the film remains true to the source material in this respect... but I'm not counting on it.)
Old 05-21-04, 02:12 AM

Hmmm... well, Robert Rodriguez has had nudity in his movies, and Frank Miller is co-directing, so it's possible. I'd imagine they'd stay true to the comics, but we'll see. I'm certainly intrigued by the green screen thing... it could be stylized in a great way, but it's impossible to know at this point.
Old 05-21-04, 04:49 AM
Banned

looks like crappola...
Old 05-21-04, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Thanks for that insight on 30 seconds of the film... Care for another goat?
Old 05-21-04, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Me want Jessica!!
Old 05-21-04, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Uhhhhh...... I have to go clean my pants
Old 05-21-04, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well seeing as to how Frank Miller seems to be approving this method, I see no reason as of yet to worry. If we see that the cgi or whatever backgrounds don't work, then we can complain.
Old 05-21-04, 10:25 AM
Suspended

Robert must be doing something right if Miller is collaborating with him (wasn't Miller quoted as never wanting to have anything to do with Hollywood after Robocop 3?).

BTW, Robert isn't directing Princess of Mars due to leaving the Director's Guild (Paramount can't hire non-DGA people). This is according to a blurb on Coming Soon.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.