Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Room (spoon!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-10, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Re: The Room (spoilers!)

I haven't seen this since it's "Adult Swim" gag, but going through all these comments is making me eager to revisit it once more.

Has anyone actually paid attention to many of the songs' lyrics? I remember particularly busting up at the end-credits track.
Old 07-12-10, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
I haven't seen this since it's "Adult Swim" gag, but going through all these comments is making me eager to revisit it once more.

Has anyone actually paid attention to many of the songs' lyrics? I remember particularly busting up at the end-credits track.
i would prob say 60% of the audience knew all the words to that song (and clapped along to the beat)
Old 07-25-10, 04:34 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tommy Wiseau said that The Room is going to be released on Blu-ray later this year and will get the 3D treatment next year. This is just awesome!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/07/...ontent=Twitter
Old 07-25-10, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dx23
Tommy Wiseau said that The Room is going to be released on Blu-ray later this year and will get the 3D treatment next year. This is just awesome!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/07/...ontent=Twitter
Link doesn't work, brah.
Old 08-12-10, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My god, this better air some how some way. This is the TV pilot Tommy did for "The Neighbors"
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YGpwxHMUndk?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YGpwxHMUndk?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

also for anyone in the DC area, this is playing at midnight next friday and saturday
Old 08-12-10, 12:11 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I love that trailer.

I was at the "The House That Drips Blood on Alex" screening, and I must say, Wiseau is a lot less funny when he's in on the joke. And his fans have become embarrassing idiots. I think I'll just curl up with my copy of The Room on DVD and ignore Wiseau from this point on.
Old 08-12-10, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I was at the "The House That Drips Blood on Alex" screening, and I must say, Wiseau is a lot less funny when he's in on the joke. And his fans have become embarrassing idiots. I think I'll just curl up with my copy of The Room on DVD and ignore Wiseau from this point on.
Exactly why I've avoided any of the public screenings here in Chicago (they've mostly been with Wiseau in attendance). I want to make fun of his incompetance, not have him there embracing it. I want to laugh at him, not with him. Kind of defeats the purpose of the experience.
Old 08-12-10, 03:36 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Even worse than that is the audience. When I was going to midnight shows, it was people who knew just how rare something like The Room is and treasured it. Now it's made it to the people who are the last to find out, and are overcompensating. I heard people laughing so hard that I thought their throat was going to tear at anything Tommy said, whether it was funny or not. Then they'd shout stupid catch phrases that somewhat resembled lines from The Room, prompting myself and others to turn around and tell them to shut up. It was sad.
Old 09-01-10, 06:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind
Link doesn't work, brah.
Link is working now.

Something that was posted at BWE.tv

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2k-lEY76x-c&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2k-lEY76x-c&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 09-01-10, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Even worse than that is the audience. When I was going to midnight shows, it was people who knew just how rare something like The Room is and treasured it. Now it's made it to the people who are the last to find out, and are overcompensating. I heard people laughing so hard that I thought their throat was going to tear at anything Tommy said, whether it was funny or not. Then they'd shout stupid catch phrases that somewhat resembled lines from The Room, prompting myself and others to turn around and tell them to shut up. It was sad.
Uh oh. I'm just now finding out about this. I better not watch it. I guess I'm just a poser at this point.
Old 09-01-10, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by troystiffler
Uh oh. I'm just now finding out about this. I better not watch it. I guess I'm just a poser at this point.
I read that sometime this month, Tommy and Greg (mark) are going to be in attendance at some AZ theater doing a meet and greet and a q&a prior to the screening
Old 09-01-10, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
I read that sometime this month, Tommy and Greg (mark) are going to be in attendance at some AZ theater doing a meet and greet and a q&a prior to the screening
It plays weekly at a local arthouse theater. Wish I knew when Tommy is going to be there. I WOULD go for that.
Old 09-01-10, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

looks like this weekend in Tempe

when i met him in july and with the q&a, i still don't know if its all an act and he's laughing his way to the bank, or he's really like that. Hes def a character
Old 09-01-10, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

when i met him in july and with the q&a, i still don't know if its all an act and he's laughing his way to the bank, or he's really like that. Hes def a character
Nice. I'll absolutely be there.
Old 09-01-10, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I barely skimmed through the thread (the initial post was too long and overwhelming to get through) so I know it's my own damn fault that I'm confused. Still, what's the deal with this movie? It seems you guys say it sucks so bad it's good? Or it was intentionally bad? Or what?
Old 09-01-10, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I barely skimmed through the thread (the initial post was too long and overwhelming to get through) so I know it's my own damn fault that I'm confused. Still, what's the deal with this movie? It seems you guys say it sucks so bad it's good? Or it was intentionally bad? Or what?
its so bad its funny. Just watch this clip

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IjxYLchvnRA?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IjxYLchvnRA?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 09-01-10, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's intentionally bad, right?
Old 09-01-10, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's intentionally bad, right?
i don't think so. From what i've read, it was made as a drama, but when Tommy found out that people were laughing at it, he decided to claim all along it was supposed to be a black comedy, and make it a midnight movie out of it.
Old 09-01-10, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i don't think so. From what i've read, it was made as a drama, but when Tommy found out that people were laughing at it, he decided to claim all along it was supposed to be a black comedy, and make it a midnight movie out of it.
Really? because I can't see how anyone could have possibly thought that was a serious movie while making it. It just seems way too "tongue in cheek". Particularly the bit in that clip where he was trashing the room.
Old 09-01-10, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

and whats shocking too is that despite the movie looking like shit and poorly filmed, it cost 6 million to make and at least 2 entire sets of crews quit while making the movie (and an actor too, which is why characters appear with no introduction and leave and never return with no explimation)
Old 09-01-10, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

The movie played in a theater for LA for two years before the word really spread about its awfulness. I seem to recall the website for it going down and when it came back up, there were all the references to it being a black comedy. Crazy or not (I tend to think not, because nearly every appearance feels like he does the same routine), Tommy is a genius for making a buck on the whole hype.
Old 09-01-10, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So is this comedy/crapfest/whatever still in theaters or already out on video? Cos I'm inclined to give it a rental.
Old 09-01-10, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So is this comedy/crapfest/whatever still in theaters or already out on video? Cos I'm inclined to give it a rental.
its on dvd. It plays at certain arthouse theaters monthly as a midnight movie. I went about 2 weeks ago in dc and it was packed very close to a sellout (it plays every month)

looks like its availible at NETFLIX
Old 09-01-10, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Cool. I'll give it a rent.

Anyhoo, I just realized the first post was from 2004.
Old 09-02-10, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's been said in this thread before, but this movie is even funnier to watch with Rifftrax:
http://www.rifftrax.com/rifftrax/room

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.