Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Lost in Translation Question. (Not the whisper)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-04, 12:38 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
What the hell was going on during the first night when they went out partying and they were forced to flee the bar scene? What was that gun the guy was chasing them with?

I was very confused.
Old 02-19-04, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The guns were airsoft/green gas/electric BB guns. they are very popular oversea's. they work off green gas, batteries, etc.

Most likely one of the friends they were with pissed off those guys with the toy guns.
Old 02-19-04, 01:05 PM
Banned

Any web links? I think I need one!
Old 02-19-04, 01:14 PM
Banned

What's Green Gas?
Old 02-19-04, 01:27 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Pants
What's Green Gas?
Methane of course!
Old 02-19-04, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
No, that's blue gas!
Old 02-19-04, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Well the point is they are bb guns.
Old 02-19-04, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://www.blowgunsnw.com/guns/greengas.htm

they make them in very realistic looking gun designs. I would highly suggest using them if you are filming something involving guns. they come in handy and have that realistic look to them.
Old 02-19-04, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Charlie Brown was starting shit with the bartender. I thought I saw him throw a glass at the floor when the bartender pulled out his bb gun.
Old 02-19-04, 04:32 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
http://www.blowgunsnw.com/guns/greengas.htm

they make them in very realistic looking gun designs. I would highly suggest using them if you are filming something involving guns. they come in handy and have that realistic look to them.
But what you link to doesn't look like what was in the movie. In the movie that gun had flashing lights and stuff on it. It looked very Buck Rodgers.
Old 02-19-04, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

the link was to describe green gas as it was asked about.

http://www.precisionairsoft.com/index.htm
or
http://www.bm-bikershop.com/tokyo_ma...rsoft_guns.htm

Much like cell phones, you can add whatever amount of crappy lights and flashing shit you would like to the airsoft weapon. the link is just one of many different companies who make the toys.

To put it simply and to answer the guys two questions.. As stated above, was causing shit in the bar and the guy was shooting a popular type of BB gun.

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 02-19-04 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-20-04, 09:24 AM
Banned

If anyone is intrested I'm stationed on a AB in Japan & can get these guns pretty cheap. Shoot me an email if you would like one. Anywhere from $30 - $200. The have Air, Gas, Battery & several differnt ones.

darenm @ comeparkfly dot com
Old 02-20-04, 10:20 AM

Do these airguns shoot real BBs? The kind that will actually break the skin and/or put someone's eye out?!
Old 02-21-04, 01:34 AM
Banned

Do these airguns shoot real BBs? The kind that will actually break the skin and/or put someone's eye out?!
They are not metal BBs. They are a really hard plastic. The Battery, Gas powered Guns will break the skin & put out eyes. They will go threw a coke can with no problem. I'll post pictures of the 3 i got when i get home. I have an AK-47, 9MM & Sniper Rifle. The 9MM takes 4 AAs & is Semi-Auto. The AK-47 takes 8 AAs and has Semi & Auto Settings. The Sniper Rifle takes Gas & is Semi-Auto. All three guns are very powerful and aren't toys. The Air Pump guns just sting like crazy, they won't break the skin, but you will get a bruse.
Old 02-21-04, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I have the samurai edge resident evil replica's. they've been sweet.
Old 02-21-04, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

A similar thing happened to me while out in the town in Tokyo and I was SO confused. They were after someone else, not me, but still. I was at first scared, then confused, and then the whole thing turned into one big "What the hell?" I laughed my ass off when I saw that in a movie.

I was also at a water park when some guy dressed in some gumby looking thing shot me with a laser gun, but at that point, I was used to it.
Old 12-10-20, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Re: Lost in Translation Question. (Not the whisper)

Rather than start a new thread, decided to threadjack this one. I had read this translation years ago but thought I would share it here. The last line always gives me a laugh.

“Lost in Translation” Suntory scene (with translation)

DIRECTOR (in Japanese to the interpreter): The translation is very important, O.K.? The translation.

INTERPRETER: Yes, of course. I understand.

DIRECTOR: Mr. Bob-san. You are sitting quietly in your study. And then there is a bottle of Suntory whiskey on top of the table. You understand, right? With wholehearted feeling, slowly, look at the camera, tenderly, and as if you are meeting old friends, say the words. As if you are Bogie in “Casablanca,” saying, “Cheers to you guys,” Suntory time!

INTERPRETER: He wants you to turn, look in camera. O.K.?

BOB: That’s all he said?

INTERPRETER: Yes, turn to camera.

BOB: Does he want me to, to turn from the right or turn from the left?

INTERPRETER (in very formal Japanese to the director): He has prepared and is ready. And he wants to know, when the camera rolls, would you prefer that he turn to the left, or would you prefer that he turn to the right? And that is the kind of thing he would like to know, if you don’t mind.

DIRECTOR (very brusquely, and in much more colloquial Japanese): Either way is fine. That kind of thing doesn’t matter. We don’t have time, Bob-san, O.K.? You need to hurry. Raise the tension. Look at the camera. Slowly, with passion. It’s passion that we want. Do you understand?

INTERPRETER (In English, to Bob): Right side. And, uh, with intensity.

BOB: Is that everything? It seemed like he said quite a bit more than that.

DIRECTOR: What you are talking about is not just whiskey, you know. Do you understand? It’s like you are meeting old friends. Softly, tenderly. Gently. Let your feelings boil up. Tension is important! Don’t forget.

INTERPRETER (in English, to Bob): Like an old friend, and into the camera.

BOB: O.K.

DIRECTOR: You understand? You love whiskey. It’s Suntory time! O.K.?

BOB: O.K.

DIRECTOR: O.K.? O.K., let’s roll. Start.

BOB: For relaxing times, make it Suntory time.

DIRECTOR: Cut, cut, cut, cut, cut! (Then in a very male form of Japanese, like a father speaking to a wayward child) Don’t try to fool me. Don’t pretend you don’t understand. Do you even understand what we are trying to do? Suntory is very exclusive. The sound of the words is important. It’s an expensive drink. This is No. 1. Now do it again, and you have to feel that this is exclusive. O.K.? This is not an everyday whiskey you know

INTERPRETER: Could you do it slower and —

DIRECTOR: With more ecstatic emotion.

INTERPRETER: More intensity.

DIRECTOR (in English): Suntory time! Roll.

BOB: For relaxing times, make it Suntory time.

DIRECTOR: Cut, cut, cut, cut, cut! God, I’m begging you.
https://thewhiskywoman.wordpress.com...h-translation/
The following users liked this post:
Giantrobo (12-10-20)
Old 12-10-20, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Lost in Translation Question. (Not the whisper)

Thanks for that passage. One of my favorite movies and I can still picture Bill Murray’s expressions just reading that scene. Absolutely hilarious....along with the “(rip) my stockings” scene.

Definitely time for a rewatch.