Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Grudge - Ju-on remake news

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-04, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

February 17: First news from the GRUDGE set

FANGORIA’s Japanese correspondent Norman England has been spending a lot of time on the set of THE GRUDGE, Takashi Shimizu’s English-language remake of his JU-ON films that’s produced by returning Taka Ichise along with Sam Raimi and Rob Tapert. He just sent in an initial report that begins with a bit of casting news. “Ted Raimi is in this too,” he reveals; the actor joins an ensemble that includes Sarah Michelle (BUFFY) Gellar, Jason Behr, Clea (CARNIVALE) DuVall, KaDee Strickland, Bill Pullman and the Japanese films’ ghosts, Takako Fuji and Yuya Ozeki. “The thing about this film is that it’s very ensemble,” England adds. “Even though Sarah Michelle Gellar is the lead, she’s not in it as much as you would think. But this is in keeping with JU-ON; all the films are like that.

“From what I’ve seen, there is a really good mixing of Japanese and Western staff,” he continues. “There are a lot of bilingual people on the crew, Japanese who speak English as well as Americans who speak Japanese. I’d label it a ‘best of both worlds’ production.

“The sets look really impressive, too; they rebuilt the haunted house inside Toho’s new Studio 7. It’s totally realistic. The crew is really busting their butts on this film and from the few shots I’ve seen, I have to say that it’s looking good.”

England has already interviewed busy genre producer Ichise for us, and reveals, “In April he’s shooting the first of six new horror films. This one is being directed by Masayuki Ochiai, who did THE HYPNOTIST. I also talked with Hideo [RINGU] Nakata two weeks ago, and he said that he too is doing one for Ichise. I found out from Taka that unfortunately, Nakata's [planned U.S. feature debut] TRUE BELIEVER was canned.”

Look for England’s extensive and exclusive coverage of THE GRUDGE (including the only on-set interview with Gellar) in Fango’s pages this fall, and see issue #231 (on sale March 18) for his coverage of the JU-ON movies.

If you aren't familiar with Ju-on: The grudge. it's a sort of RINGU film. curse passes along and so forth. I must say that this news is very interesting to say the least. ju-on was one of those films that I couldn't watch alone in the dark. It was just that creepy. So lets see what this remake is like.
Old 02-17-04, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I liked the original WAY more than the Ring, & think it's about 100 times scarier. Ju-on really had some images that stayed with me long after the movie.

That said, I just can't stand all of these remakes. Bring the original over & release it in the states. That cast is just awful. I cannot stand SMG, & Bill Pullman is one of the actors that makes me cringe evertime I see him (yes, even in Spaceballs).
Old 02-17-04, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is good news. Even though I'm not big on the casting, the atmosphere is the most important thing in a horror movie. I thought Hollywood was going to butcher Ju-On by having Sarah M. Gellar in every scene and running throughout the house screaming. If her role is like the lead role in the original, then she's not going to be in the movie much at all (which is a good thing IMO).

My one question is this. They said that the original Japanese ghosts are returning to be in the Hollywood version. Do they mean the husband and his wife, or the wife and the little kid? Cause wouldn't that little kid be a bit older by now?
Old 02-17-04, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If this remake brings the original film to DVD in the states (similar to Ring and Ringu), then I'm all for it... even if the remake is good or bad (I'll wait for the film to come out to judge that). Sony (most of the time the Destination division) has been pretty good with releasing Asian films onto DVD uncut and subbed, so we'll see.

And even if the cast isn't that great, at least we have Ted Raimi.
Old 02-18-04, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
And even if the cast isn't that great, at least we have Ted Raimi.
Amen to that. If Ted is there, in any capacity, count me in.
Old 06-11-04, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
Here's some cool clips and more info from yahoo:

http://movies.yahoo.com/movies/featu...thegrudge.html

Looks good.
Old 06-11-04, 07:03 PM

Originally posted by Rival11
Here's some cool clips and more info from yahoo:

http://movies.yahoo.com/movies/featu...thegrudge.html

Looks good.
That's the original Ju-On and not the current, in-production remake.
I am also one of the ones not looking forward to this remake. SMG and Bill Pullman, ugg! Just let audiences see the original and leave it at that.
Old 06-11-04, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally posted by delightdvd
That's the original Ju-On and not the current, in-production remake.
I am also one of the ones not looking forward to this remake. SMG and Bill Pullman, ugg! Just let audiences see the original and leave it at that.
???? Are you serious? They're going to remake THAT? What the hell? Why?
Old 06-11-04, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I haven't seen the original made for TV movies, but I have Ju-On: The Grudge and Ju-On 2 on DVD. I'd rate Ju-On about a 6.5/10 and Ju-On 2 about a 7.5/10. I'm actually hoping the American versions are better. It's possible... although with SMG, it's not looking all that likely.
Old 06-11-04, 08:38 PM

Originally posted by Trigger
I haven't seen the original made for TV movies, but I have Ju-On: The Grudge and Ju-On 2 on DVD. I'd rate Ju-On about a 6.5/10 and Ju-On 2 about a 7.5/10. I'm actually hoping the American versions are better. It's possible... although with SMG, it's not looking all that likely.
I actually found the first made for TV Ju-On the scariest. Try to get your hands on a copy.
Old 06-11-04, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is that the movie with the scary white asian kids with red eyes?
Old 06-11-04, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by delightdvd
I actually found the first made for TV Ju-On the scariest. Try to get your hands on a copy.
I'm waiting patiently for a decent and inexpensive DVD release with english subs. *crosses fingers* I have been wanting to see them as I heard they were better.