Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Troy - what rating?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Troy - what rating?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-04, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Troy - what rating?

hi all, does anybody know wat rating Troy is going to be?

I've heard from some people it might be pg-13...and from others R...so does anyone know for sure?!

thanx

G x
Old 02-15-04, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm pretty sure any movie that big will be PG-13.
Old 02-15-04, 11:22 AM

If it's not R, I'm going to be disappointed. Big PG-13 epics that aren't LotR usually end up cheesy.
Old 02-15-04, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd bet R. Its all about a war and in the trailer it shows a scene of a woman undressing and cuts right before she drops her dress.
Old 02-15-04, 11:37 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
It'll probably be along the same lines as Gladiator (2000; Dreamworks; $187M) and Braveheart (1985; Paramount; $87M)... while Gladiator made $$$, Braveheart barely broke even (sort of).

... since Warner Bros is pushing this one, as well as its Harry Potter sequel (June 4), I'm thinking that they'll hit the kid/teen/family crowd with HP, the older folks with Troy.

But don't quote me on that...

... if it is factual and goes along the lines of the book, I'd like to see it PG-13 for classroom use.
Old 02-15-04, 11:37 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Oh great, another "R-rated movies are better than PG-13 rated movies!" thread.

A good movie is a good movie, regardless of the rating. I haven't paid attention to these things since I turned 17.
Old 02-15-04, 12:06 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Orlando Bloom, Brad Pitt, sun-kissed bodies galore, romance, and a huge, ginormous budget to fund it all.

I smell a PG-13...
Old 02-15-04, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
I say it will be a PG-13, but a hard one along the lines of Van Helsing. I am sure PG-13 allows for few quick decapitations.
Old 02-15-04, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho

A good movie is a good movie, regardless of the rating. I haven't paid attention to these things since I turned 17.
Oh great, another "more violence and sex != a better movie!" post
Old 02-15-04, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

According to this review from AICN, http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=17009 , this at the moment is very much an R film. But with a 200 million budget, it's difficult to say what it will end up with. But sounds like an R so far.
Old 02-15-04, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Warner executives supposedly want a PG-13 rating.

People who have seen test screenings of the film say the film would get a "hard R" unless Warner wants to edit out a lot of the violence and the female nudity to gain those PG-13 dollars.

This one will be hard to tell which rating it gets until near the film is released. They could respect the director's wishes and go for the R, or omit violence and nudity and go right for PG-13 so everybody can take their entire family out to see it.
Old 02-15-04, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Time for the "let's just hope for an R-rated DVD" thread.

Honestly, I don't see why studios don't do what they did with movies like Excalibur back in the day, where they would have a PG version for the daytime and an R for the night shows.
Old 02-16-04, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not to start another such discussion, but...

Some worthwhile movie experiences require the intensity and graphic nature of an R-rated movie. Pulp Fiction, Braveheart, the first half-hour of Saving Private Ryan, and Schindler's List could have been done as PG-13 films, but would each have lost much of their essence.

Sure, a lot of gratuitous junk gets thrown into many films to achieve an R rating. But assuming that R-rated films are needlessly graphic is just as incorrect as assuming that less hardcore movies are worthless.

- David Stein
Old 02-17-04, 07:01 PM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

this is a WAR movie! and even R is probably tame compared to real combat. a true-to-life war film might be rated X. in war, especially these ancient ones before guns, everyone lost limbs, and eyes, and heads. it gives the movie more power, danger and risk to show battles graphically. it's just better, dramatically speaking, to not clean up war (unless you want to strip it of its power).

as you can tell, i'm hoping Troy gets an R.
Old 02-17-04, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

this will be PG-13, more watering down from Hollywood.

surprised The Passion of the Christ wasn't trimmed to
PG-13 a "view-friendly" view of the crucifixion.
Old 02-17-04, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

surprised The Passion of the Christ wasn't trimmed to
PG-13 a "view-friendly" view of the crucifixion.
There was a whole entire article in USA Today... um today (that sounds redundant... USA Today today)... about how church groups across the country are allowing those who are ten years old and up watch The Passion of the Christ and basically that the R-rating means jackshit in this case as the film is depecting exactly what happened in Jesus' last twelve hours of life.

I think that's sort of cool. Church groups basically giving the middle finger to the MPAA. Even if most of these people will never watch an R-rated film again.
Old 02-17-04, 09:42 PM

There's no way Troy won't be rated PG-13.
Old 02-17-04, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's the way I see it. If WB is willing to give us the R-rated cut with the first DVD release, then no problem. If they plan on making us wait forever, well, problem!

What I don't understand is why they can't have a little nudity and violence in PG-13 movies nowadays. I recall seeing Clash of the Titans, complete with a beheading (albeit a creature) and a lady's bare butt, and it was PG. Also, Spartacus was released in the early late 50s/early 60s last I recall, and it had dismemberment, decapitations, and all. Yet it still had a G rating, PG later I believe.
Heck, I remember when PG-13 started the first movie to carry the rating, Red Dawn, pushed the rating to its limits with violence. Have they gotten more strict with such scenes in the 21st century.
Old 02-17-04, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
Here's the way I see it. If WB is willing to give us the R-rated cut with the first DVD release, then no problem. If they plan on making us wait forever, well, problem!

What I don't understand is why they can't have a little nudity and violence in PG-13 movies nowadays. I recall seeing Clash of the Titans, complete with a beheading (albeit a creature) and a lady's bare butt, and it was PG. Also, Spartacus was released in the early late 50s/early 60s last I recall, and it had dismemberment, decapitations, and all. Yet it still had a G rating, PG later I believe.
Heck, I remember when PG-13 started the first movie to carry the rating, Red Dawn, pushed the rating to its limits with violence. Have they gotten more strict with such scenes in the 21st century.
But Clash of the Titans came out before PG-13 so it had to be either PG or R. It would definitely be PG now.
Old 02-17-04, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But Clash of the Titans came out before PG-13 so it had to be either PG or R. It would definitely be PG now.
Yeah, it came out a few years before the MPAA said enough with the violence in PG movies (like Temple of Doom and Gremlins). I personally think the film is PG, but the MPAA might think otherwise (with the stop motion violence, bare butts, and breast feeding).
Old 02-17-04, 11:48 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
We didn't have movie ratings when Spartacus was first released. It had to have been rated later.
Old 02-18-04, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
There was a whole entire article in USA Today... um today (that sounds redundant... USA Today today)... about how church groups across the country are allowing those who are ten years old and up watch The Passion of the Christ and basically that the R-rating means jackshit in this case as the film is depecting exactly what happened in Jesus' last twelve hours of life.

I think that's sort of cool. Church groups basically giving the middle finger to the MPAA. Even if most of these people will never watch an R-rated film again.
I don't get it. How are they "giving the middle finger to the MPAA"? Based off what I have heard about this movie, it probably deserves its R-rating. Whether or not a movie is supposedly "true" or not doesn't affect what its rating is. Just what the content is. And I actually don't think it's cool at all that supposedly responsible people are bringing young children to a movie that will likely be too graphic for them, but that's another story all together, i guess.
Old 02-18-04, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I also don't get how it's a middle finger to the MPAA.. you do realize that the ratings are there to help parents know what kind of material the childern are watching. if it was an NC-17 rating and they took childern, maybe, but an R is simply putting it that Parents should take strong warning that their is content in the film that is unsuitable for younger childern. they are still able to go with the parents premission...

remember, MPAA ratings aren't an evil power, it's a simple guide for parents and those with childern to know what the content of the film is containing. I hardly see what's so evil about it.
Old 02-18-04, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts
Originally posted by sfsdfd
Not to start another such discussion, but...

Some worthwhile movie experiences require the intensity and graphic nature of an R-rated movie. Pulp Fiction, Braveheart, the first half-hour of Saving Private Ryan, and Schindler's List could have been done as PG-13 films, but would each have lost much of their essence.

Sure, a lot of gratuitous junk gets thrown into many films to achieve an R rating. But assuming that R-rated films are needlessly graphic is just as incorrect as assuming that less hardcore movies are worthless.

- David Stein
This is the best post on the PG-13 vs. R debate yet
Old 02-18-04, 05:23 PM

R

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.