Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

A hole celebrities! post your stories here

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

A hole celebrities! post your stories here

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-04, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
I saw Warren Sapp at a bar once. I'm not a big football fan, so I didn't really care, but this hot girl came up and asked for his autograph and he just looked down at his beer, totally ignoring her.
Old 02-04-04, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Drop Dead Gorgeous was filmed at my middle school, which was about a quarter of a mile away from my house. I met Denise Richards and got her autograph, she seemed pretty cool. My friend did extra work, and said that Kirstie Alley was just a major bitch, acting like she was a tremendous star and yelling at crew members
Old 02-04-04, 01:02 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
About 7 or 8 years ago, when Star Trek: Voyager was in its second or third season, John DeLancie (who plays recurring Star Trek character Q) was at the Viacom Store on Chicago's Magnificent Mile signing autographs. He's supposed to be there from 1 to 4 (or something like that). Around 3:30 or so, my wife and I were on the Mile, so we decide to pop into the store to see if there was a long line to meet DeLancie.

There wasn't.

In fact, there wasn't any line. The guy was sitting at a table all by himself.

"Sucks for him," I thought, but a good opportunity for me. So I grab a copy of Encounter at Farpoint (the first episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation, which features DeLancie's character pretty prominently) and go to get an autograph. He's very surly, and doesn't really respond to my compliments. As he's signing the autograph, my wife mentions that she really enjoyed seeing him on Voyager. He just kind of growled. Then she asked him if he was planning to appear on Voyager again. He glared at her and said no. We decided he was a total jerk and left.

Two postscripts:

First, about a year later, Jeri Ryan, who played Star Trek: Voyager babe Seven of Nine was signing autographs at the Viacom store. The line to see her literally stretched out the door and around the block. I didn't wait in line, but I did stand off to the side and watched her interact with her fans for a few minutes. She seemed very nice.

Second, De Lancie did do subsequent guest shots on Voyager. So there, a-hole!
Old 02-04-04, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
We saw Scarlett Johannsen at the Bowie show on Monday in LA. We were 2 rows back and after the show my friend went to compliment her on her career. She was very very friendly to all who spoke with her.

Years ago, I met DEBRAH WILSON of Mad TV at a reptile show in Pomona. She was great! She spoke with me for long time about Madtv and how they weer kinda worried about Howard Stern's new show on CBS. She has a snake, tatoos, and slammin' body so I was totally in Heaven.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 02-04-04 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-04-04, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 726 Likes on 530 Posts
No one's really been an a-hole... recently, I've met a bunch of musicians. Alien Ant Farm guys were really cool. Megadeth. Lit. Papa Roach. All nice people to hang with.
Old 02-04-04, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont know why people think that celebs are going to be receptive when someone goes up to them when they are eating. Come on, let them finish and if you have the time as they are leaving approach them. They are just people like you and I.

My best a$$hole story has to be Michael Johnson. You want a jacka$$ this is your man. In 1997 I was volunteering at the Prefontaine Classic and it was one of my duties to see who might be interested in participating at the autograph tent. This guy wouldnt speak to me, looked above me when I was addressing him (Im 6'8", he isnt that tall), and then he had his assistant inform me that he doesnt have time. The best part was that as he was leaving the field he shoved a kid out of the way so that he could get into a car.

One of the best had to be Marion Jones at the same event (I honestly didnt know who she was [I knew the name, but not much else]). I asked her if she would like to participate and she said should would, but after her next event. I felt bad because I should have known that. Anyway later on that afternoon, I feel a tap on my shoulder and its Ms. Jones letting me know that she is ready. Completely out of the blue and she came and found me. I was just amazed.

Having worked in radio for three (3) years, Ive had my fair share of 'run ins' with talent (radio) and musicians. Nothing really stands out as a negative.
Old 02-04-04, 02:23 PM
Banned

I met Muhammad Ali a couple of years ago at a dinner. As soon as he entered the hall, all the kids mobbed him to sign autographs. He gave an autograph to everyone and kissed all the little kids who came up to him on the cheek.
Old 02-04-04, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
My friends and I hung out with the guys from P.O.D. after a show a couple of years ago. They just sat outside the concert and talked with us for about an hour after the show. My friend got the whole thing on tape too. Pretty cool.

Also met a ton of different bands at Cornerstone Festival. Really down to earth way to meet all but the biggest bands.
Old 02-04-04, 02:40 PM
Cool New Member

My cousin was working at a restaurant, and noticed a famous wrestler (From the WWF....I can't remember his name but my cousin says his nickname is the Dogfaced Gremlin...or something) was sitting at the bar. They had a show in town. Well my cousin approached him, and apparently he didn't want to be bothered and asked my cousin not to point him out to anyone else. And my cousin said he would if this guy signed an autograph for him. But it wasn't just an autograph, he had the wrestler sign it to my cousin with the phrase underneath.."The only man I was ever afraid to get in the ring with." He still has it.
Old 02-04-04, 02:48 PM

Kip Winger (singer from Winger) was a prick when I met him.
Tom Araya (singer from Slayer) was totally cool and friendly.
Layne Staley (singer from Alice in Chains) was a bit reserved, but approachable and friendly.

I've met a bunch of "rock stars", but those are 3 of the bigger names.
Old 02-04-04, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by retihsuhnt
Having worked in radio for three (3) years, Ive had my fair share of 'run ins' with talent (radio) and musicians. Nothing really stands out as a negative.
Well, how 'bout "above-and-beyond" positives?

As for myself..

Met Prince. Great musician. Shitty personality. [and, NO, I didn't interrupt him while he was eating ]

However, back when I used to work at a nearby arcade, Michael Bolton stopped by [back when he was "famous"]. My girlfriend at the time was TOTALLY into him for some reason. I told her to just go up to him and say "Hi". She was apprehensive, so I walked up to him and asked him if he wouldn't mind saying hi to her. He refused. So after some time had passed, I noticed he was playing Tetris. I went into the back room and flicked the circuit off that controlled that grid. He got VERY pissed off [as he was complaining to the front desk about losing a quarter]

It's the little things that make life worth living.
Old 02-04-04, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Mr. Cricket
My cousin was working at a restaurant, and noticed a famous wrestler (From the WWF....I can't remember his name but my cousin says his nickname is the Dogfaced Gremlin...or something) was sitting at the bar. They had a show in town. Well my cousin approached him, and apparently he didn't want to be bothered and asked my cousin not to point him out to anyone else. And my cousin said he would if this guy signed an autograph for him. But it wasn't just an autograph, he had the wrestler sign it to my cousin with the phrase underneath.."The only man I was ever afraid to get in the ring with." He still has it.
Rick Stiener, Scott's brother (aka Scott "Big Poppa Pump" Stiener)
Old 02-04-04, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Mr. Cricket
The only man I was ever afraid to get in the ring with."
That's pretty cool.

On the subject of wrestlers, it didn't happen to me, but a friend of mine was at a bar in Vegas with a buddy. Apparently Rowdy Roddy Piper ran up, gave them each a beer, shouted "whooooo!" and then ran off.
Old 02-04-04, 03:09 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Rogue588
However, back when I used to work at a nearby arcade, [o]Michael Bolton[/i] stopped by back when he was "famous"
That reminds me of a completely off-topic story. My mom works with a guy named "Michael Bolton" who gets really irritated when people makes jokes about his name. No joke. Well, you can guess my immediate response to hearing that. And the kicker? He's never seen Office Space!
Old 02-04-04, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Rogue588
Well, how 'bout "above-and-beyond" positives?
Probably the most (memorable) funny moment was at one of KKRZ's Last Chance Summer Dance(s), this lady was almost in tears because she wanted to meet the lead singer from Dirty Vegas. Im in the back watching this and I walk up to her and say that his name is Stephen Smith (I only learned that from E! a couple of nights before), and that he probably would answer to that.

Mind you there was a fence between the 'back stage' area and the staging area for the performers. Anyway the lady walks over to the fence line and calls out Smith's name, he walks over and speaks with her for a second and then she bolts off on a cloud with her boyfriend. A couple of seconds later she comes over and says thanks.

Before I worked in radio, I met the Dixie Chicks as they were 'blowing up.' Waited eight (8) hours to do so, but I got what I wanted.

One of my funnier moments was when I was speaking with Ton[e] Loc at a concert that a station that I worked for was hosting. I was talking to him about his 'voiceover' work for cartoons and the like and one of the 'talents' from the station didnt have a clue what we were talking about. That one I think you had to be there for, but I just thought it was hilarious, me the studio assistant having a 'real' conversation with the performing artist and the 'host' of the show just standing their dumbfounded.

Im a huge baseball fan, but one night when I was at work our Sports Talk show was on and they had the Sears Trophy in the studio. Yeah, college football isnt my thing, but being able to hold/touch the BCS trophy was one of those things you will never forget.

There have been other encounters, but the one thing that they all have taught me is that their human.
Old 02-04-04, 03:44 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally posted by retihsuhnt
My best a$$hole story has to be Michael Johnson. You want a jacka$$ this is your man. In 1997 I was volunteering at the Prefontaine Classic and it was one of my duties to see who might be interested in participating at the autograph tent. This guy wouldnt speak to me, looked above me when I was addressing him (Im 6'8", he isnt that tall), and then he had his assistant inform me that he doesnt have time. The best part was that as he was leaving the field he shoved a kid out of the way so that he could get into a car.
I misread "Michael Johnson" as "Michael Jackson." Then when I got to the part about shoving a kid out of the way, I thought "that doesn't seem right," and that's when I realized my mistake.
Old 02-04-04, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
I have friends who work at a hotel in Park City. Turns out Ashton Kushner was staying at their hotel for Sundance, and they tipped me off. So, I went by his room at 2am (had to wait until all the screenings and parties were over), and knocked on the door.

Okay, first of all, he didn't even have the courtesy to put on a shirt before answering the door. Secondly, he was incredibly rude. I just wanted to tell him what a big fan I was, and get him to hang out with me and maybe "punk" some of my friends, but instead he was all "Sorry, dude...I gotta sleep," slammed the door in my face, and called hotel security.

A-hole of the century.
Yeah, the utter nerve of that guy!! I honestly can't blame him. If I was famous, I'd be much worse with hounds like you.
Old 02-04-04, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I talked to the drummer (or was it the bassist) from Rage Against the Machine in the Mall of America. But I've seen many many celebs there.
Old 02-04-04, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Steven Seagal was a nice guy, but seemed a little worn out after being mobbed by fans and signing autographs.

George Clooney was an absolute prince when I met him on the set of The Peacemaker. Very nice guy to everyone.
Old 02-04-04, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by scroll2b
Yeah, the utter nerve of that guy!! I honestly can't blame him. If I was famous, I'd be much worse with hounds like you.
I'm with you! That Groucho is a bitch!!!
Old 02-04-04, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I did meet Michael Jackson once when he and Malaculy Culkin were running around Disneyland causing riots. Course I suspect he waved at me cause I was a 12 year old boy at the time.

Ah, the memories.
Old 02-04-04, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When I was in high school I used to go to Star Trek conventions fairly often. (OK, I admit to being a Trekkie... not like it's not obvious from the stuff I review, hehe). Anyway, it was nice to see that many (though not all) of the actors were really very nice and clearly enjoyed interacting with fans.

James Doohan (Scotty) was a really nice guy, very grandfatherly, chatting and joking with the fans. George Takei (Sulu) was also very nice - apparently for the second day of the convention, he invited anyone who wanted to, to go running with him (at about 5 AM, hehe). Anyway, when I got his autograph, I had him sign a book *he* had written - the couple of people ahead of me had him sign books that had Sulu as a character, and when he saw what I had, he got this surprised/pleased look. I (very shy at the time) even managed to say "And I really liked it!" (I did). He said thanks I still have the book.

At another convention, my mom and I were wandering around the dealer floor and we spotted Walter Koenig (Chekov, also Bester on B5) and said hello. He was super nice and chatted with us for a moment, and we got a picture of all of us together.

Michael Dorn (Worf) also seemed like a very nice guy. I went to that convention with a bunch of friends, and one of them didn't have any money to buy a picture for him to autograph. So she went into the bathroom and removed her bra, and had him sign that! You should have seen the look on his face - he had a good laugh as he signed it.
Old 02-04-04, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i never have any "A-hole moment" with any celebrities

but i've met:

Chow Yun Fat
at LA airport standing in line (ticket counter) next to me & my buddy. he looked at us, i was stunned (didn't know what to do/say), he looked around (probably just to make sure nobody else or mob spotted him)... i did finally say "you're so cool" then he smiled at us. my buddy didn't even realize it was Mr. Chow Yun Fat

Mike Tyson
at Giannie Versace store in (MGM?) Las Vegas... he made the bodyguards kick people out the store & have the store clerks locked the glass door so he can shop peacefully... it was scary.

Danny Glover
what a lovely gent. he was in town for some church event (his brother was the priest if remember correctly), then he went to the kitchen (i was the waiter at that event) & asked me if he can use the phone to call his wife & kids
i told him that i'm a big fan of Lethal Weapon & hope to see him back again with Donner & Gibson in any movie in the future... & wish him the best luck

the girl from Dawson Creek (can't remember her name right now)
she was from Toledo, Ohio... so she went back about 3 years ago for some event in downtown... met her there, she looked at me & i was stearing at her boobs (cause my buddy told me the other night that her boobs aren't even)... crap!
she was HOT

last year at PGA event in Toledo, i met Jimmy Jackson NBA Player.
i served him some drinks (bartending), then we talked little bit about golf, his business (he owned some business in Toledo), then he gave me an autograph...
nice guy

i also saw other celebs, but didn't have a chance to talk or make any contact in anyway... like the guy (the general) in Black Hawk Down)
Old 02-04-04, 09:10 PM

Received 153 Likes on 116 Posts
I've meet Shirley Mason from Garbage. My friends and I went to see them at a club. She was in the crowd during the opening band. Very sweet girl and she even took a request from a guy in the crowd. It was an obscure track from an import B-side. She seemed thrilled that he know about the song.

I have also meet the guys from Counting Crows at a restuarant in my home town. All of them were great to everyone who stopped by their table. I was impressed at their patiences. Same goes for the cast of Dawson's Creek. Extremely friendly actors.

It did not happen to me but I was a witness. A few years ago Mudhoney was opening for Pearl Jam and were playing a local club the night before. Eddie Vedder was were that night and befriended a few guys in the crowd. He offered to buy them some beer. They told him they were "under" and he thought that they meant short on cash. He said no problem and went over and bought the beer. He returned, gave them the beer and shortly after the guys were removed from the club for underage drinking. Vedder was good enough to bring them back stage the next day's at the PJ concert. I didn't understand what happened until the next day when Vedder mentioned it to the crowd that an a hole singer got these kids into trouble the night before.

Last edited by Kdogg; 02-04-04 at 09:53 PM.
Old 02-04-04, 09:42 PM

Location: noun. a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Man, i'm having a blast reading these posts! keep em coming you guys.

Anyway, I got to meet Charles Barkley (basketball player) while he was in Lake Tahoe for the American Century Championship (an annual golf tournament for celebs). He was over at Caesars. My first thought was: he doesn't look as chubby as he does on TV. Worked up enough courage to ask him for an autograph. He was very cordial and took the time to talk to fans. He asked where I was from and if I was still in school. Really nice guy despite all those "i am not a role model" commercials he did for Nike and that sort of on court tough guy persona he's known for.
Also saw Jason Kidd, but was afraid to approach him cuz he had this menacing stare at one of the tables (his wife is hot, btw!!). He looked somewhat aloof despite the little crowd that gathered around him. He could've been deep in thought, or deep in sh!t... couldn't see if he was losing big. like it matters with his salary

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.