Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Just watched DareDevil and Hulk....

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Just watched DareDevil and Hulk....

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-04, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also thought both Hulk and Daredevil were going to be bad. I was surprised that I actually liked both movies. Both movies weren't as good as the X-men films, but I would rank them ahead of Spiderman.
Old 01-08-04, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
Here's where I think they went wrong with Daredevil...
Spoiler:
After establishing a relationship with Elektra, once her father is killed by Bullseye, we should never see her again until the next movie where she comes back badass and ready to kill (and could also introduce Stick and The Hand). Bullseye drives Elektra away and DD should be mad about it. This is where they should have kept her father as the Greek Ambassador instead of the shipping magnate. And tho I didn't mind MCD as Fisk aka Kingpin, the fight with DD made Kingpin seem like a f'n wussy. Kingpin is supposed to be Lex Luthor with enormous physical strength. Kingpin doesn't need to use his strength and prefers not dirtying his hands. He would have talked DD out of that final fight to come out smelling like a rose.

Still, I admire what MSJ was trying to do, but he was cramming way too many Frank Miller issues of DD into one condensed movie.
Old 01-08-04, 04:40 AM
Banned

Well...I think it'll work better in the Directors Cut since they'll have more time to flesh everything out...
Old 01-08-04, 04:45 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Daredevil was an okay film. Felt like a generic popcorn movie, you left vaguely unsatisfied, without really knowing why. I would be curious enough to rent a director's cut. As for Ben Affleck, it's true that he has picked a lot of bad roles in bad movies, but I think that, given a good part, he can turn in a good performance, so I don't see him as a minus.

As for Hulk, I refused to see this when it came out. The trailer looked bad, and the special effects looked worse. However, opinions were so decisively split. People either loved it or hated it. I decided I needed to see it for myself, and I ended up loving it. I think it's Ang Lee's best film (that's right, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon is the overrated one), and it was all done right. I have since bought the DVD and want to show it to as many people as will watch it. The editing in particular made me love it. Also, when Bruce gets zapped, there's a shot which has glowing green jellyfish things hanging above a desert, and it reminded me of a Dali painting. So extra kudos for that. I was never a huge Hulk fan, so I didn't mind that the film went its own way with the story.
Old 01-08-04, 05:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I saw Hulk recently too. Liked the CGI. Hated the split frames. Also Bruce's girlfriend seemed like a bitch in the movie. Hulk saves her, she calls the military, they start bombimg, she goes meekly away. They nuke him, she doesnt say anything. Grrrr. .
Old 01-08-04, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
Well...I think it'll work better in the Directors Cut since they'll have more time to flesh everything out...
a directors cut of daredevil means more blood. I doubt there would be all that much fleshed out more within a DC of this.. it's as good as it's going to get.
Old 01-08-04, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
I saw both recently, and I had little interest in watching DD while it was in the theaters, also felt the same for Hulk.

I loved Hulk, except for that ending..WTF!, and absolutely hated DD. DD was, to me, just like the old way Marvel did movies. Rushed story, all parts of it, pretty bad acting, terrible directing. Big budget though, but I really didn't notice that. I wanted to turn it off, but I always stick it through, even when I hate the movie. One thing that really bugged me was the use of real comic book "celebrities" last names. I mean, it was everywhere. It was so much more than a "wink wink", it basically slammed your head with a hammer, then went "wink wink". I'm sure most of the public had no clue, but it drove me nuts. Oh and Elektra's training sequence was amazingly laughable.

Hulk I really loved, I went in expecting really bad stuff, especially the CGI, but I was pretty blown away. I didn't mind too much how the origin veered off, I wish the father didn't have as much to do with it though, but the rest was great. Actually, the father angle was the one plotline I could have done without. Changing him into the absorbing man was just stupid. The CGI I thought was amazing. The entire desert sequence made my jaw drop.
The acting was great, I really got into them.

Anyhow, I know I won't be buying a Director's Cut of DD, but if there's more to Hulk, I'm getting it.
Old 01-08-04, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I hear the directors cut of HULK will include an added 40 minutes of hulk sitting and staring at flowers, dirt and other random items found in the desert..
Old 01-08-04, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts
I guess I will put my two cents in as well: I rented Daredevil & Hulk and watched with very low expectations for each.

Daredevil way surpassed my expectations. I actually enjoyed the movie and wasn't offended by Affleck. I thought the acting and special effects for a comic book movie were above par. The sound was terrific. I don't have much of a background with Daredevil but I read some of the funny books when I was a kid. I was more of a Spider-man/Bat-man fan so Daredevil definitely seemed like a not as interesting knock-off.

Hulk fell even below my very low expectations. Terrible movie! Crummy effects, the acting seemed poor (even for a comic book movie) and god-damn it was dull. I mean...I have not been that bored watching a movie in a long time. I was terribly disappointed since I was a big fan of The Hulk as a kid. I read tons of the comic books (around the John Byrne time) and loved the Hulk cartoon on Saturday mornings. I loved the TV show as well (although let's remember...I was a young'un back then).

So...in the end, I really believe it comes down to the story and direction. Dardevil's was decent and Hulk's was quite poor. Again...just my opinion.
Old 01-08-04, 06:32 PM

Hulk transcended the expectations of a comic book movie and therefore confounded audience expectations. It will be easier to judge and probably more highly regarded in a few years, when perspective is not clouded by good or bad hype.

Daredevil was fun, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Sure, it was cheesy in places, but so are comic books.
Old 01-08-04, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
a directors cut of daredevil means more blood. I doubt there would be all that much fleshed out more within a DC of this.. it's as good as it's going to get.
Actually I've read that the DC will be more about Matt Murdock
and his in court abilities. that, and I heard they were going to
add a bunch of star wipes...

Jason
Old 01-09-04, 11:42 AM

I liked Hulk, it wasn't fantastic, but it was good. Not typical, comic book movie. However, Daredevil, I thought, was just dull. Bad acting and direction.
Old 01-09-04, 12:06 PM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
I hear the directors cut of HULK will include an added 40 minutes of hulk sitting and staring at flowers, dirt and other random items found in the desert..
LOL!

I left the theater thinking Hulk was pretty bad. After finally receiving my DVD for $3 courtesy of KRAFT, I gave the film another a watch.

I discovered the movie was not as bad the second time around, and I think a better movie could have been crafted with the material they filmed. Specifically, I think they should have lost the whole sub-plot of Bruce’s father seeking power. This, of course, would mean the elimination of the incredibly ridiculous ending with the battle between the Hulk and David Banner, and also the “dog-fight” scene.

While I don’t object to the inclusion of the back-story in the film that established David Banner passed on genetic abnormalities to his son, I would likely have left it at that, with Bruce’s father playing little to no more roles in the film.

This would, no doubt, eliminate the character that Lee likely intended as the primary “villain,” but I think the film would have simply played better without him, or with only a minimal role.

Just my 1/5 of a dime; not that it’s worth even that…

Last edited by Commander Dan; 01-09-04 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-09-04, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm the opposite of most of you. I didn't care for Daredevil at all. The beginning was interesting where we learned of his history, but I thought the rest was horrible.

Hulk, on the otherhand, I really enjoyed all the way through.
Old 01-09-04, 02:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Daredevil: Not bad. Good fun popcorn movie.

Hulk- Terrible except for three things:
1. Jennifer Connely
2. Nick Nolte out-Nolte-ing himself with his speech.
3. Quite possibly the best racking (balls that is) scene I have ever witnessed. It still hurts when I think about it.
Old 01-09-04, 03:27 PM

Hmmmm I actually liked the HULK and found DareDevil to be inane. Hulk wasnt perfect, I think Ang tried too hard on this, he should of just relaxed and had some fun with it. But, at the same time, I did enjoy the serious side of it as well.

I would buy HULK for $13 or less. Not great but good.

As for DD, youd have to pay me to take a copy.

BTW, why did DD have to go blind by Toxic Waste? Is that how it was in the comic? Just seems silly, lots of people are blind, does he have to go blind in the most overused comic cliche of all time.

Last edited by rushmore223; 01-09-04 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-09-04, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Err, yes, when the radioactive waste hits Matt in the eyes, it blinds him, but heightens his other senses. That's straight out of the comic book origin for Daredevil.

Perhaps Daredevil started the comic cliche.
Old 01-09-04, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
Not too mention that same toxic waste spawned the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
Old 01-09-04, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Chiming in with "loved Daredevil, haven't seen Hulk."

If someone loans me the Hulk I'll check it out. I was a fan of the DD comic series and it turned out to be my fav comic book movie. Loved the lil inside jokes and the "reenactments" of some of the Kevin Smith covers.
Old 01-09-04, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I liked DD enough to buy it, wouldn't even rent Hulk again. Read the comics of both for more than 20 years and DD caught much of the spirit of the books, while Hulk missed it by a mile.
Old 01-10-04, 04:43 AM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

another for:
liked Hulk, but
extremely disliked DD.
Old 01-10-04, 12:59 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They shouldn't of made the hulk movie, the TV shows were way better.
Old 01-10-04, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Fok
They shouldn't of made the hulk movie, the TV shows were way better.
Old 01-11-04, 04:48 PM
Suspended

I liked Daredevil, it's not perfect, but we're talking about a comic book adaptation here...

The Hulk...to put it bluntly was boring, the characters were unlikeable and the ending sucked.

Neither one of these films are better than Spider-Man and X2 is better than all of them.
Old 01-11-04, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by TCG
another for:
liked Hulk, but
extremely disliked DD.
Agreed. DareDevil was TERRIBLE. The worst comic book movie since Dulph Lundgrens (spelling?) The Punisher. Even the Spawn movie was better than that piece of shit. As far as the Hulk, I think it's one of the best comic book movies ever. Up there with the X-Men and Burtons Batman (lets not even talk about the last 2)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.