Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why did The Last Samurai bomb?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Why did The Last Samurai bomb?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-04, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Just thought i'd post a final tally:

Total as of Apr. 8, 2004: $111,127,263
+ Overseas Gross: $343,500,000

uhm, that makes $454 Million world wide....I'd say that's an ok performance....especially for a 'bomb.'

and fwiw: I had no interest in seeing this because of the silliness of Tom Cruise as the Last Samurai - which is how it was marketed. But having watched it over the weekend, I loved it, and realize how badly they screwed up in marketing this. Ken Watanabe is fantastic, and it is he that is the Last Samurai....A really very very good film. And one i'll be buying eventually.
Old 05-16-04, 01:10 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is a fascinating example of the potential profitability of the international market. With a HUGE enough Hollywood star a film can be a bigger draw in foreign countries than in America.

I expect Troy to do exactly the same thing. It won't be anywhere near the biggest hit of this summer, but with Brad Pitt starring it will pack 'em in around the world.
Old 05-16-04, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i'd be curious to see what the take was in japan....
Old 05-16-04, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't forget to consider DVD sales/rentals:

Last Samurai made $13 million in rental revenue alone, and about $70 million in DVDs sold.
Old 05-16-04, 04:54 PM
Banned

Originally posted by brizz
i'd be curious to see what the take was in japan....
It did extremely well from everything I've heard.
Old 05-16-04, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yes, this movie was very successful. What is with this board and calling every movie a bomb? Last Samurai, Hellboy, Mean Girls, Troy, I swear a lot of people don't understand that the money these movies are making are GOOD, and that they are successful movies. But for some reason if a film doesn't open to 70 plus million and gross 250 plus million US, it's a bomb. I swear, some of the people on this board are worse than the pundits in Hollywood.

The Alamo...now THAT was a bomb.
Old 05-16-04, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
I agree with joe. I recall reading an article in USAToday discussing these big budget epics and how studios pretty much rely on overseas grosses to make the money nowadays.
Old 05-16-04, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Dr. DVD

Hate to say it, but the movie Kill Bill offered more of Eastern beliefs and insight than TLS ever did IMO. Not that I didn't enjoy them both, but Kill Bill had more depth than this movie could have ever hoped.
??? You're joking right? If not...uh...yah...
Old 05-16-04, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally posted by mytzplyx
??? You're joking right? If not...uh...yah...

About the depth? Nope, sure not.
Old 05-16-04, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok, then to each his own I suppose. I definitely fail to see which part of Kill Bill uh, demonstrated Japanese culture in its true form. If anything, it seemed to be Quintin Tarantino's version of Japan.

For example, everyone wielding katanas, sushi shop in Okinawa (when supposedly its the one place sushi conosseurs say not to eat sushi at), etc... This is all fine of course, for a movie, artistic license and all. But, deeper in cultural display than Last Samurai? I really really fail to see this as does everyone I've spoken to about the two movies here, gaijin and foreigner alike.

Anyways, I don't know about grosses, but as for audience reaction, Last Samurai went over much better here than Kill Bill did, though both were promoted heavily.
Old 05-17-04, 12:12 PM
Banned

Originally posted by mytzplyx
I don't know about grosses, but as for audience reaction, Last Samurai went over much better here than Kill Bill did, though both were promoted heavily.
Huh?

I'm not going to say which film I like more, but last time I checked the two Kill Bill halves generated threads that when in excess of 13 pages each (not to mention dozens of other threads)
Old 05-17-04, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
I think what he meant by "here" is that he's from "Japaaaaaan".
Old 05-17-04, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Last Samurai is the highest grossing Tom Cruise flick to date.

So yeah, if it were a "flop" then he's never had a hit.

For example, everyone wielding katanas, sushi shop in Okinawa (when supposedly its the one place sushi conosseurs say not to eat sushi at), etc...
The Sushi in Okinawa was kind of the "point", since it's supposed to be a hideout - what better place to "hideout" than a Sushi Shop in Okinawa. And no, Kill Bill didn't properly represent Japanese culture, Tarantino caricature-ized it as he does with everything, I don't recall anyone actually calling it an accurate representation.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-17-04 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-17-04, 01:49 PM
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

Watched TLS this w/e and thoroughly enjoyed. IMHO it was not the typical TC flick! Everyone is right though Ken Wattanabe was excellent! Was it one of the 10 best films ever --- hell no, but its better than a lot folks give it credit.

As far as the KB analogy -- personally I hated KB 1. To me it was nothing more than a waste and method of splattering blood across the screen. Its 2 hours I would have preferred doing something else --- Bring on the attacks as it matters not to me. This is my opinion and I am entitled to it. Thanks for listening.

Greg
Old 05-17-04, 05:50 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by jaeufraser
Yes, this movie was very successful. What is with this board and calling every movie a bomb? Last Samurai, Hellboy, Mean Girls, Troy, I swear a lot of people don't understand that the money these movies are making are GOOD, and that they are successful movies. But for some reason if a film doesn't open to 70 plus million and gross 250 plus million US, it's a bomb. I swear, some of the people on this board are worse than the pundits in Hollywood.

The Alamo...now THAT was a bomb.

Now that's a bulls**t, severely hypocritical thing to write.

jaeufraser, you lambast other people who comment with reckless abandon on the numbers, yet you do the very same thing!

THE ALAMO wasn't a film that opened "70 plus million and gross 250 plus million US," but who knows what it will do on home video or any other ancillary outlet? Not even you. You're just as bad as the rest of the posters.
Old 05-17-04, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

oh come on now....talk about bullshit....the Alamo WAS a bomb....

Total as of May. 16, 2004: $22,035,363
+ Overseas Gross: $1,531,000 (all from Mexico)

Production Budget: $107 million
Est. Marketing Costs: $30 million

It's going to have to do a whole lot of business in some "ancillary" outlet.....and I'd hazard a guess that it just ain't gonna happen....And I highly doubt the Asian/overseas market is going to be nearly as interested in it as they were TLS - for some reason, though, it isn't being release overseas until the fall. If it were going to be huge in Mexico, i'd expect it to do a tad better than $1.5 million. jeau makes a very good point....deal with it.
Old 05-17-04, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Pants
Huh?

I'm not going to say which film I like more, but last time I checked the two Kill Bill halves generated threads that when in excess of 13 pages each (not to mention dozens of other threads)
Japan, not the U.S.
Old 05-17-04, 09:14 PM
Banned

Originally posted by sararekuforever

LOTR took over 10 hours to tell a simple story, a morality play of good and evil. It showcased hours and hours of brutal and gory fight scenes, with Hollywood antics [giants falling down, people surfing on shields, one liner phrases, and video game like scenarios] for the purpose of letting a dwarf or an elf or whatever a "hobbit" is struggle endlessly and melodramatically to throw a ring into a volcano. And it has people crying and weeping and praising as to how glorious it is and how incredible it is and how it is the best film in the history of the world...yet it did nothing for me...even a video game has moved my heart more...

That "Last Samurai" had to come out on the same month that "Return of the King" came out is sad...it did not make much money not because of Cheaper by the Dozen [which was actually an enjoyable movie with a hint of drama and a hint of comedy] but because of millions of fanboys who can spend dozens and dozens of hours of their life watching dwarves and elves with swords and axes and proclaiming it to be the second coming of all that is good and holy..

And sadly, I am ashamed to have ever wasted hours of my life trying to see what's so great about the "trilogy"..which no..will never replace Star Wars trilogy..not even the new one.

The Lord of the Rings will entertain and enchant moviegoers, families, people young and old for years to come....long after The Last Samurai is forgotten and buried in dust on a back-shelf at your local Blockbuster.
Old 05-17-04, 09:43 PM
Banned

Last Samurai did not bomb - think of the growing demographic of people who say "8.50 per person to see a movie?...making it a $60 event to take my family out for a movie and drinks and theater chow? when I can pay $20 for teh DVD and watch it on my huge screen and home theater audio and not deal with the guy in front of me with the big head, and relax in my comfy chair and have better chow and drink that doesnt cost as much as it does to fill up my gas tank?"

guess which way I went - and I imagine a growing number of people are starting to think similarly. The only things Ill go to the theater for a HUGE epic films like LOTR or SW or things like that - and EVEN THEN, Ill still think look at my comfy chair and big screen and wonder.......
Old 05-17-04, 10:17 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by brizz
oh come on now....talk about bullshit....the Alamo WAS a bomb....

Total as of May. 16, 2004: $22,035,363
+ Overseas Gross: $1,531,000 (all from Mexico)

Production Budget: $107 million
Est. Marketing Costs: $30 million

It's going to have to do a whole lot of business in some "ancillary" outlet.....and I'd hazard a guess that it just ain't gonna happen....And I highly doubt the Asian/overseas market is going to be nearly as interested in it as they were TLS - for some reason, though, it isn't being release overseas until the fall. If it were going to be huge in Mexico, i'd expect it to do a tad better than $1.5 million. jeau makes a very good point....deal with it.
A good point? Not on this planet...

Did ya ever think of DVD? Overseas sales (not box office)? Cable, airline, TV, VHS??? It adds up.

Um... deal with it. Yeah, suck on that!

Historically, the tale of the Alamo might be over, but THE ALAMO isn't just yet. Give it a year and see where it stands.

Granted, it seems unlikely to march into hitsville, but I've seen stranger things occur.
Old 05-17-04, 10:17 PM
Cool New Member

It committed the ultimate sin ... it was BORING.

Sure a movie can be educational, it can be philosophical, it can be life-enriching, and all that good stuff. But first and foremost, it must be entertaining.

When I walked out of Kill Bill Vol 1, I was grinning ear-to-ear, and I wanted to immediately turn around and watch it again. When I came out of the TLS, all I felt was I just wasted 2.5 hours of my life.

Last edited by ABCDE; 05-17-04 at 10:20 PM.
Old 05-17-04, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ABCDE
It committed the ultimate sin ... it was BORING.

Sure a movie can be educational, it can be philosophical, it can be life-enriching, and all that good stuff. But first and foremost, it must be entertaining.

When I walked out of Kill Bill Vol 1, I was grinning ear-to-ear, and I wanted to immediately turn around and watch it again. When I came out of the TLS, all I felt was I just wasted 2.5 hours of my life.

Funny, switch the roles for the two movie around for me. Nah, to say waste would be an extreme. Kill Bill was average for me. Last Samurai was good but not great.
Old 05-18-04, 09:32 AM

I don't think it was a bad movie, but surely not great enough to create the buzz necessary for this kind of movie to generate huge box office numbers.

I personally, was disappointed in the film. It seemed like a Mel Gibson movie with Tom Cruise. The drama was over the top. Cinemtography, acting, casting were all top notch. I thought the script was weak. The only character I cared about was Katsumoto.

This could have been a silent movie ;-P Although the cannons should get a best supporting actor nomination.
Old 05-18-04, 10:18 AM
Suspended

Actually, I thought the last samurai was excelent. For me, one of the few 3 hour movies that didn't drag on and on. I know it's not for everyone, but I loved it. Now I only wish I got to see it in the theater.
Old 05-18-04, 08:51 PM

That movie was not boring. It's just your taste in films. This film is extremely underrated. Master and Commander?? That was boring.

doc

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.