Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

gattaca underrated?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

gattaca underrated?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-04, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With all of the spoiler tags in this thread, you'd think there was something to hide.
Old 01-03-04, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Jay G.
[spoiler]
Spoiler:
The point of the film is that if it weren't for the stigma of having "bad genes," Vincent wouldn't have to lie. The point is that he's as capable as his genetic superiors, as his navigational skills show.

However, the film loses the plot when it shows that he's not as capable in the physical department. And I don't just mean in relation to the others. A genetically "perfect" person who never excercized would still be fat and unfit. In contrast, Vincent is very much in shape, but his heart is wonky.

BTW, here's the requirements for astronauts now:
http://flightphysical.com/part67/67subb.htm#b67111

Of particular interest is this part:

I think Vincent would fail that part.

Why not? You compare his mental skills with those of his "superiors," and he came out on top. So obviously genes aren't the only factor. You want to play it both ways, cheering Vincent for his superior mental skills but brushing off his obviously potentially deadly heart condition.

The question is, was the physical trial unnecessarily restrictive? Was it more that what was actually required for space travel? Nothing in the scene indicated that it was. Remember, this wasn't a test intended to test their genes, it was to test if they were physically healthy enough to endure the trials of space travel.
Spoiler:
Ok first off it's a movie LOL. What would astronauts' requirements in this world have to do with anything in the Gattaca film world? It's obvious that the physical trials in the film, are again made for valids. An invalid who does not have a heart condition will have a faster heartbeat than a valid. Valids probably have greater lung capacity, oxygen levels, and more stamina. This was demonstrated by Anton during the swims.

None of us know what they are going to do on that space mission, but i'm sure Vincent does. It could be sitting in that ship for a year. Why would Vincent need first class medical certification then? As for an abnormality, a faster heartbeat while sprinting isn't exactly an abnormality. To determine your max heart rate easily, you just subtract your age from 220. This would mean that Vincent's max heart rate is 190. If you look at the monitor during the treadmill scene it reads 169-170 (Jerome's heart rate). It then speeds up after the he runs out of the recording. Who's to say that his heart rate isn't normal?

And no, valids wouldn't be fat and lazy because they probably have genetically fast metabolisms and are predisposed to excercise. You didn't see any fat or overweight valids walking around in the film did you?

Vincent's "heart condition" is all based on probability. If you watch the scene when he is born in the hospital, the nurse says 99% probability of a heart disorder. And how many times has science been wrong? As for his heart being "wonky," how is it "wonky?" Cause it beats faster than a valid during sprinting?
Old 01-04-04, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally posted by garolo
With all of the spoiler tags in this thread, you'd think there was something to hide.
Do you think we should continue with the spoiler tags, or assume anyone who's bothered to read the pages of black has already seen the film?
Old 01-04-04, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spoiler:
Originally posted by TheNightFlier
Ok first off it's a movie LOL. What would astronauts' requirements in this world have to do with anything in the Gattaca film world?
Movies tend to be based in reality whenever they can. I don't see why it's unreasonable to assume that the demands for the flight are as demanding, or even more demanding, than those that currently exist. In fact, I'd lean towards more demanding, since the space trip is obviously going to be more than a few orbits around the Earth.
It's obvious that the physical trials in the film, are again made for valids.

It's really not. The physical trials are made for those who are physically fit enough to endure the space trip. I'd wager the old man supervisor wouldn't be able to pass the test, valid or not. Heck, I have my doubts the doctor could pass. If valids were automatically able to pass these tests, there would be no need for any besides the genetic test.
An invalid who does not have a heart condition will have a faster heartbeat than a valid. Valids probably have greater lung capacity, oxygen levels, and more stamina. This was demonstrated by Anton during the swims.

Except in the last swim, probably because Anton is out of shape.
I also notice how you completely avoided my statement that Vincent's heartbeat was not only fast, but irregular.
None of us know what they are going to do on that space mission, but i'm sure Vincent does. It could be sitting in that ship for a year. Why would Vincent need first class medical certification then?
Are you serious? Top physical health would be even more important on a long space trip, since zero gravity saps your body of strength. On board exercises are required, and astronauts still tend to lose muscle mass. If Vincent goes on an extended space trip in less than top physical form, he may die upon returning.

Also, you mention Vincent not needing a medical certification, which suggests that you too may think he wouldn't pass it either.
To determine your max heart rate easily, you just subtract your age from 220. This would mean that Vincent's max heart rate is 190.
If his heart is normal
If you look at the monitor during the treadmill scene it reads 169-170 (Jerome's heart rate). It then speeds up after the he runs out of the recording. Who's to say that his heart rate isn't normal?
It sounded twice as fast as Jerome's, at least. Not a mere 20 beats per minute faster (which would work out to one extra beat every 3 seconds).
You didn't see any fat or overweight valids walking around in the film did you?
You mean besides this guy?

Vincent's "heart condition" is all based on probability. If you watch the scene when he is born in the hospital, the nurse says 99% probability of a heart disorder. And how many times has science been wrong?
I agree, it's only a probability when he's born. And even if he didn't develop the disorder, science wouldn't be wrong, since it allows for 1 out of every hundred to do just that.

My problem is that the exercise scene changes the heart condition from being a probability to being an actuality. Even Vincent in the film is doubtful of his longevity, if I remember correctly. That's part of the supposed "suspense" of why he needs so desperately to get on this space flight.
As for his heart being "wonky," how is it "wonky?" Cause it beats faster than a valid during sprinting?
Because it beats way too fast and is irregular.

Last edited by Jay G.; 02-24-11 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Fixed formatting issue and a few spelling issues.
Old 01-05-04, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Spoiler:

It's really not. The physical trials are made for those who are physically fit enough to endure the space trip. I'd wager the old man supervisor wouldn't be able to pass the test, valid or not. Heck, I have my doubts the doctor could pass. If valids were automatically able to pass these tests, there would be no need for any besides the genetic test.
[/b]
Except in the last swim, probably because Anton is out of shape.
I also notice how you completely avoided my statement that Vincent's heartbeat was not only fast, but irregular.

Are you serious? Top physical health would be even more important on a long space trip, since zero gravity saps your body of strength. On board excersizes are required, and astronauts still tend to lose muscle mass. If Vincent goes on an extended space trip in less than top physical form, he may die upon returning.

Also, you mention Vincent not needing a medical certification, which suggests that you too may think he wouldn't pass it either.

If his heart is normal

It sounded twice as fast as Jerome's, at least. Not a mere 20 beats per minute faster (which would work out to one extra beat every 3 seconds).

You mean besides this guy?

I agree, it's only a probability when he's born. And even if he didn't develop the disorder, science wouldn't be wrong, since it allows for 1 out of every hundred to do just that.

My problem is that the excercise scene changes the heart condition from being a probability to being an actuality. Even Vincent in the film is doubtful of his longevity, if I remember correctly. That's part of the supposid "suspense" of why he needs so desperately to get on this space flight.

Because it beats way too fast and is irregular.
I'm keeping the spoilers since you're going to have some people whine that they still haven't seen the movie.

Spoiler:
A faster hearbeat does not always mean an irregularity. I've had experience with this since both my father and uncle have had heart problems since they were young, and both were able to pass government and law enforcement physicals. Faster does not always mean irregular. I didn't ignore any statement, just condensed my answer. Just because Vincent's heart is speeding does not mean its skipping beats, plus add in the factor that the Vincent is already nervous about the trial.

Anton is definitely in shape as you saw him practiicing in that small tub in one scene. And being the way he is and a cop, I highly doubt that he would let himself get out of shape.

My saying Vincent doesn't need medical certification doesn't have anything to do with whether I think he could pass. I suggested he doesn't need it depending on what he is even doing during the mission. His job is just of a navigator. Vincent is obviously in good if not great shape, all the training he did for Gattaca beforehand along with what he did

As for valids not being able to pass the trial. There are valids who are not genetically perfect. Irene is an example of this since she has a heart problem as well, but supposedly less severe than Vincent's. The trainer even lets her stop running at one point. Lamar's son also isn't a genetically and physically perfect valid, the whole reason he lets Vincent on to the ship. The mission director is also 70-75 years old, of course he's not going to be in the shape of the 25-30 year olds that work there. As for Lamar passing the physical trials there would be no need to, he's a doctor. Which leads to my point why Vincent would need to be in the best shape out of everybody. He's a navigator. I highly doubt he'd be the one doing any spacewalking.

Nobody knows what Vincent's heart problem even his. Who's to say it can't be corrected with simple meds or surgery. You can't go the fact that it sounded faster. There's no numbers or documentation in the movie for how fast it really is. The fact of the matter is that he made it and completed his dream

Last edited by TheNightFlier; 01-05-04 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-05-04, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
I've always read good things about it, but I have yet to see it.
Old 01-06-04, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Spoiler:
A faster hearbeat does not always mean an irregularity. I've had experience with this since both my father and uncle have had heart problems since they were young, and both were able to pass government and law enforcement physicals.
How about space trials? As you said, we don't know about Vincent's hear condition, but we do know his own heartbeat isn't good enough for him to pass the test with it.
Faster does not always mean irregular.
You're not reading what I write. I didn't say it was irregular because it was fast, I said his heartbeat was both fast and irregular. Granted, I've only seen the film once a while ago, but my memory of the scene is that his heart didn't have a regular beat, fast or not.
Anton is definitely in shape as you saw him practiicing in that small tub in one scene. And being the way he is and a cop, I highly doubt that he would let himself get out of shape.

Have you seen some cops? Being in fairly good shape and being fit enough for a spacewalk are two different things. Vincent is obviously in good enough shape to "pass," aside from his heartbeat. I wouldn't say it's the sole reason he beat Anton, but Vincent beating Anton in no way means his heart isn't wonky.
My saying Vincent doesn't need medical certification doesn't have anything to do with whether I think he could pass. I suggested he doesn't need it depending on what he is even doing during the mission. His job is just of a navigator.
All people going into space need to be physically fit, for reasons I've explained already.
Vincent is obviously in good if not great shape, all the training he did for Gattaca beforehand along with what he did
I agree, except his heart, which he has to hide.
As for valids not being able to pass the trial. There are valids who are not genetically perfect. Irene is an example of this since she has a heart problem as well, but supposedly less severe than Vincent's. The trainer even lets her stop running at one point.
You seem to waffle, saying sometimes that Vincent doesn't have a heart problem, at other points inferring that he does, but it's not that bad. If Irene is accepted on the space program with a less than "perfect" heart, why does Vincent feel the need to hide his heartbeat? Because he knows his is worse, and bad enough to not be allowed on any missions.
Lamar's son also isn't a genetically and physically perfect valid, the whole reason he lets Vincent on to the ship.
I guess I'm a little confused on the term "valid." I thought the point of Lamar's talk of his son was that even with the high-tech methods they use, a valid offspring still isn't guaranteed. So prejudice against invalids is unfair because their genes are not their fault. And the doctor at this point doesn't know that Vincent's heart is irregular.
The mission director is also 70-75 years old, of course he's not going to be in the shape of the 25-30 year olds that work there. As for Lamar passing the physical trials there would be no need to, he's a doctor.

You asked me to find one less than physically fit valid in the film, and now you list three. Since you admit valids don't automatically pass the test, the running test is there to test physical ability, which Vincent lacks in the heart department.
Which leads to my point why Vincent would need to be in the best shape out of everybody. He's a navigator. I highly doubt he'd be the one doing any spacewalking.
If the navigator didn't need to be physically fit, they wouldn't require the navigator to pass the tests. If Vincent doesn't need to pass the tests, why is he faking it?
You can't go the fact that it sounded faster. There's no numbers or documentation in the movie for how fast it really is.
Why not go with how fast it sounded? Take a sound clip of his real heartbeat. Count the number of beats and divide it by the number of seconds. You could get a rough estimate of his heartrate. And for you to say, "sure it sounds like it's twice as fast, but we can't trust our ears," seems like grasping at straws.

There are no numbers on Vincent's real heartbeat in the film, but the film does show that Vincent's real hearbeat is not good enough to pass the physical test. The test required to go into space. The test that they use to make sure the astronauts are physically fit enough to endure the trials of the space-trip, which again we don't know about.

The point is this, Vincent had to fake his actual health in order to get on the ship. Take that fact in and of itself. If someone in the real world today was to conceal their heartbeat so that they could get on a Shuttle, would you think, "oh, that's okay, he really wanted to go."
Old 01-06-04, 10:17 AM
OCB

I loved this movie and think it is very underrated but haven't watched it since it first came out...in fact I might watch it again this weekend thanks for the reminder
Old 01-06-04, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love Gattaca and finally bought the Superbit DVD edition last December: gorgeous.
Old 01-06-04, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Spoiler:
His heart may not be working correctly, but at least one themse of the movie is that you couild die or be crippled at any time - e.g. Jude Law's character
Old 01-06-04, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by chanster
Spoiler:
His heart may not be working correctly, but at least one themse of the movie is that you couild die or be crippled at any time - e.g. Jude Law's character
Spoiler:
Which is why it's not such a good idea to go and put other people in danger just to persue your selfish agenda.
Old 01-06-04, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My reasoning is that anyone could bite it at any point - including genetically engineered folks - so their chances of biting it in an accident are just as likely as the old ticker givin out.
Old 01-06-04, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Spoiler:

How about space trials? As you said, we don't know about Vincent's hear condition, but we do know his own heartbeat isn't good enough for him to pass the test with it.

You're not reading what I write. I didn't say it was irregular because it was fast, I said his heartbeat was both fast and irregular. Granted, I've only seen the film once a while ago, but my memory of the scene is that his heart didn't have a regular beat, fast or not.
Spoiler:

Have you seen some cops? Being in fairly good shape and being fit enough for a spacewalk are two different things. Vincent is obviously in good enough shape to "pass," aside from his heartbeat. I wouldn't say it's the sole reason he beat Anton, but Vincent beating Anton in no way means his heart isn't wonky.

All people going into space need to be physically fit, for reasons I've explained already.

I agree, except his heart, which he has to hide.

You seem to waffle, saying sometimes that Vincent doesn't have a heart problem, at other points inferring that he does, but it's not that bad. If Irene is accepted on the space program with a less than "perfect" heart, why does Vincent feel the need to hide his heartbeat? Because he knows his is worse, and bad enough to not be allowed on any missions.

I guess I'm a little confused on the term "valid." I thought the point of Lamar's talk of his son was that even with the high-tech methods they use, a valid offspring still isn't guaranteed. So prejudice against invalids is unfair because their genes are not their fault. And the doctor at this point doesn't know that Vincent's heart is irregular.
[/b]
You asked me to find one less than physically fit valid in the film, and now you list three. Since you admit valids don't automatically pass the test, the running test is there to test physical ability, which Vincent lacks in the heart department.

If the navigator didn't need to be physically fit, they wouldn't require the navigator to pass the tests. If Vincent doesn't need to pass the tests, why is he faking it?

Why not go with how fast it sounded? Take a sound clip of his real heartbeat. Count the number of beats and divide it by the number of seconds. You could get a rough estimate of his heartrate. And for you to say, "sure it sounds like it's twice as fast, but we can't trust our ears," seems like grasping at straws.

There are no numbers on Vincent's real heartbeat in the film, but the film does show that Vincent's real hearbeat is not good enough to pass the physical test. The test required to go into space. The test that they use to make sure the astronauts are physically fit enough to endure the trials of the space-trip, which again we don't know about.

The point is this, Vincent had to fake his actual health in order to get on the ship. Take that fact in and of itself. If someone in the real world today was to conceal their heartbeat so that they could get on a Shuttle, would you think, "oh, that's okay, he really wanted to go."
[/B]
Spoiler:
I'm not waffling at all about his heart. All I'm saying is that the movie even says that they're is a probability of a heart problem. A probability meaning maybe he has one, maybe he doesn't. I think you should watch the movie again to refresh yourself. Anton is a hardnosed guy and would be the type of person to hold deep resentment for that one time Vincent beat him. I'd bet that he does those laps in his tub for hours on end. It is safe to say that he is in almost as good shape as Vincent.

My one point is that after all his physical activity in the movie...sex, training, swimming, running his heart hasn't exploded or he's died.

I would take the best navigator in the entire place, which Vincent seems to be, even if there is the probability leans to him having a minor heart defect.

Lamar says something to the extent of, "My son is a big fan of yours, but he is not what they promised." He goes on to tell Vincent that his son wants to apply to Gattaca. Lamar has known throughout the entire film what Vincent was. He even goes to say, "Right handed men don't hold it with their left," referring to the drug tests. Lamar lets him board that ship because he knows that Vincent deserves to be there whether or not he's sick, invalid, or whatever. Vincent has earned it. Lamar wants to know and tell his son that he can do anything even if he isn't a perfect valid like most of Gattaca, and that even has more of a chance considering an invalid accomplished it.

Not phsysically fit meaning, fat, overweight, and out of shape.
Where did I list 3? Irene is in good enough shape to take a trip "around the sun" as she says. She is already a valid which is why she does not have to hide her heart problem. She's only supposed to live to around 50. What's to say she won't drop dead sooner than Vincent?

Anton appears to be a health nut. The Director again is 70-75 years old, age and gravity catch up on people.

It's a movie. This is not supposed to fit into the real world situations that we might like it to. Vincent makes it into space.Don't think it would be such a great movie if he drops dead during the last urine test or on the rocket. If you have the DVD, watch the coda that was going to be tacked onto the ending, it shows many famous people who have had genetic defects. Think of it this way, Vincent may be the next John Glenn. Nobody would ever find out if he didn't challenge authority and make it onto the ship in the first place.
Old 01-07-04, 04:27 PM

This is one of my 10 all-time favorite movies and everyoen I've introduced to the film loves it.
Old 01-08-04, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spoiler:
I think you should watch the movie again to refresh yourself.
Don't really want to, thanks. But I did look up the screenplay. I found these parts interesting:
The heartbeat monitor in the observation room suddenly races from 80 to 250 beats per minute. Lamar catches the discrepancy out of the corner of his eye but before he can take a second look, Jerome has whipped his electrode from his chest.
The effects of the gruelling work-out are only now apparent. No longer sucking up the pain, he gulps air into his oxygen-starved lungs, his heart looking for a way through his tightened chest. He writhes in agony on the white-tiled floor - a brutal reminder of the physical frailty he seeks to disguise.
IRENE and JEROME lie in bed together after making love. For once Jerome is able to sleep unconcerned. It is Irene who lies awake, head against JEROME'S chest, listening to the sound of his erratically beating heart.
So the film explicity states that he has an actual and existing heart condition. It's not just a probability, it's real.
My one point is that after all his physical activity in the movie...sex, training, swimming, running his heart hasn't exploded or he's died.

I'm sorry, but "he hasn't died yet," isn't a strong argument.
Lamar has known throughout the entire film what Vincent was.
Lamar knows Vincent is "passing," but there's no indication that he knows who Vincent truely is, or that Vincent has been faking his heartbeat.
Irene is in good enough shape to take a trip "around the sun" as she says.
Again, from the script:
"The only trip I'll make in space is around the sun--" (letting a handful of sand slip through her fingers) "--on this satellite right here."
Unless you count staying on Earth as space travel, Irene isn't going anywhere. Which proves that being a valid isn't enough. Irene's heart isn't good enough to pass the requirments for space travel, and the film gives every indication that Irene's condition is not nearly as bad as Vincent's.

The overall theme of the film is that humans are more than the sum of their genes, and that people should be judged on the basis of their abilities and not their "pontential." This is a theme that I agree with. However, the film subverts it's own theme when it shows that Vincent is not physically capable to pass the tests legitmately. This is what I meant when I originally said that the film has a good idea, but poor execution.

For me, the Star Trek: TNG episode that dealt with the same idea did it better than this film.
Old 01-08-04, 02:19 PM
Suspended

Now I have to see it! Adding it to the list...
Old 01-08-04, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Spoiler:

Don't really want to, thanks. But I did look up the screenplay. I found these parts interesting:

So the film explicity states that he has an actual and existing heart condition. It's not just a probability, it's real.
Spoiler:

I'm sorry, but "he hasn't died yet," isn't a strong argument.

Lamar knows Vincent is "passing," but there's no indication that he knows who Vincent truely is, or that Vincent has been faking his heartbeat.

Again, from the script:

Unless you count staying on Earth as space travel, Irene isn't going anywhere. Which proves that being a valid isn't enough. Irene's heart isn't good enough to pass the requirments for space travel, and the film gives every indication that Irene's condition is not nearly as bad as Vincent's.

The overall theme of the film is that humans are more than the sum of their genes, and that people should be judged on the basis of their abilities and not their "pontential." This is a theme that I agree with. However, the film subverts it's own theme when it shows that Vincent is not physically capable to pass the tests legitmately. This is what I meant when I originally said that the film has a good idea, but poor execution.

For me, the Star Trek: TNG episode that dealt with the same idea did it better than this film.
[/B]
Spoiler:
I have read the screenplay and there are many noticeable differences and changes in it.... In one draft I read Jerome goes as far as to trick Vincent by packing bags and telling him he's actually leaving and doesn't hint about the upcoming suicide.

The 250 hearbeat is a bit of a stretch, which is why im sure they corrected it in the movie. Since in real life if a person had that much of a racing heart, they would most likely go into arrest or die. Lets just say Vincent's actual heartrate is around 210-220.

I misinterpreted the Irene quote.

He hasn't died yet is actually a very good arguement. Vincent was treated like a bubble boy his entire life. As he said every scrape and scratch was a major incident. He's been involved in such strenuous activity throughout life...swimming, sex, training, running. What's the difference if his heart rate increases on Earth or in space? And there's no saying his heart is even going to reach such a high rate when he is up there. If he does die in space, which is doubtful there's still 40-50 people that boarded the rocket, I'm sure each one of them capable of doing the job.

Vincent still deserves to be on the rocket despite the defect, or "cheating" on the tests.

Last edited by TheNightFlier; 01-09-04 at 12:33 PM.
Old 01-09-04, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spoiler:
I have read the screenplay and there are many noticeable differences and changes in it....
That may be, but the scenes I referenced play out very closely to what I remember in the film. Also, since the script was written by the same person who directed the film, it still shows intent. The script quotes explicitly state what I implicity perceived while watching the film.
The 250 hearbeat is a bit of a stretch, which is why im sure they corrected it in the movie. Since in real life if a person had that much of a racing heart, they would most likely go into arrest or die. Lets just say Vincent's actual heartrate is around 210-220.
It's interesting you say it's "corrected" in the film, since you earlier stated you had no idea what his heartrate is as evidenced by the film. Your conceeded heartrate is still higher than what you said was the "maximum" for a person like Vincent. Doesn't sound healthy to me.
He hasn't died yet is actually a very good arguement.
No it's not. It's obviously not a good enough argument for Irene, who does not suffer from any prejudice. You're saying it's okay for him to lie despite his actual abilities , which destroys the whole point of the film: That people should be judged solely on their abilities and not their genes.
If he does die in space, which is doubtful there's still 40-50 people that boarded the rocket, I'm sure each one of them capable of doing the job.
If his role was unnecessary, he wouldn't be there. Sure, there may be someone who could double as navigator, but not as well as the primary person, and at the expense of whatever role they had. Vincent dying in space doesn't instantly doom the rest of the crew, but it is a risk, a risk that he is unjustly hoisting upon an unsuspecting crew.]
Old 01-10-04, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
A great movie. I actually had a Biology teacher who recommended this to my class. He said that some of the recent developments in Genetics and DNA research Have made some things in the movie quite possible in the near future.
Old 10-05-04, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Watched this movie on HBO tonight - the first time that I've seen it since it came out on video. I forgot how great it was, especially since it contains two of my least favorite actors (Ethan and Uma).
Old 10-14-04, 03:16 PM

Damn this post looks like those blacked out Government papers lol but I saw this or the first time on HBO last week. Pretty damn good movie except it was in pan&scan of course. I'll probably pick up the superbit down the road
Old 10-14-04, 06:12 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

great movie
Old 10-24-04, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Just watched it tonight. No more black boxes! Great movie. i don't know why it took me so long to see it.

I have read through it all, and what I gather from the treadmill to locker room scene is this... NO heart problem. We are talking about a full on 20 minute SPRINT, not jog, or even run. SPRINT Anyone not genetically engineered would be hard pressed not gasping for air after that. Not to mention holding it in and keeping his composure walking to the locker room. I didn't think it had anything do do with his heart at all.

The only problem I had with the film was that in this futuristic world where we can genetically engineer a human, travel to Saturn, determine a persons future with a drop of blood, but the best we can do for a wanted photo/ID is a blurry monochrome image? Yikes!

My only question is this:
Spoiler:
what was the significance of the locke of hair?
Did I miss something?
Old 12-15-05, 10:38 AM

I also liked this movie a lot. Any recommendations for movies like Gattaca?
Old 12-15-05, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
No. In fact, although I am sure they exist, I have yet to meet someone who did not love this movie.

(Key word: YET. I'm sure I'll hear about it now )

me, I thought this film was boring. like the idea but everything was so dull and slow

Last edited by maingon; 12-15-05 at 03:18 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.