Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Cold Mountain (merged)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Cold Mountain (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-03, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Geminix
neale, was this in Birmingham, AL? The reason I ask is when I was up there for Trilogy Tuesday, a lady from Miramax was giving out invites to a Thursday screening of Cold Mountain, and said at first that Anthony Minghella (the director) would be in attendance. But when I pressed her about it later, she admitted he may not be. If you did see it in Bham, was he there?
Nope. I saw it in Virginia.
Old 12-19-03, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't wait to see this movie. Probably will go watch this on Christmas with the family.
Old 12-19-03, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...a British POV...

. . . . . .
Old 12-21-03, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is really stupid but....

Since Tom Cruise was originally supposed to play the Jude Law lead role....

it would've been funny if he and Zellwegger started some romance and she ended up "having him at hello" and then at the end of the film when he returns home to Nicole Kidman's character....she says "Let's f**K."

I know horrible joke.
Kubrick (RIP)
Old 12-21-03, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My husband and I flinched at the horrible southern accents throughout the 2 minute or so preview, so I can't imagine sitting through 1-2 hours of that. Absolutely horrible.

Who did the casting for that movie, and WHY did they choose those actors to play southern characters? Please.
Old 12-22-03, 02:42 PM

I'm seeing this tonight and will report back.
Old 12-22-03, 11:31 PM

I saw a screening of Cold Mountain this evening. The movie is wonderful. Great cast, interesting plot, and gorgeous cinematography. I really loved the film. Jude, Nicole, and Renee all deserve Oscar nominations.
Old 12-25-03, 07:02 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I just got back from seeing this. Honestly, I thought it was a good movie. All accents aside, I liked the story and the movie held my interest for nearly all of the 155 minutes of it. Not Best Picture material, but good nonetheless.
Old 12-25-03, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I was prepared not to like this film, but once you get past its initial lackluster 45 minutes, the film gains a foothold and progresses rather nicely. The film definitely gets a shot in the arm with the arrival of Renee Zellwegger's and Phillip Seymour Hoffmans's characters, and is very watchable and enjoyable (though a tad predictable, but not objectionably so). The character development of Ada (Nicole Kidman) is well done, plus she looks damn stunning in winter, and Ruby (Renee Zellwegger) pretty much steals every scene with her dialogue and demeanor. Inman (Jude Law) has the difficult task of being a sympathetic deserter in the Civil War, but I feel he succeeds as he makes his way "home" to Ada.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.
Old 12-25-03, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Saw the movie tonight as well. And like Patman said, started off slowwwww. But really picked up. I'd give it an A though. And I think it's worthy of a best picture nomination. The cinematography definitely should win!
Old 12-26-03, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It was a little strange to see what looked like breast implants on a woman (Melora Walters) in the Civil War era.
Old 12-26-03, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
I was going to see this last night with the family but the showing was sold out. I am sure many walked out on it though.
Our own critic Meghan Denny said it was a "steaming pile of crud," but she also disliked both Master and Commander and Kill Bill, which were two of the best movies of the year IMO.
While it looks impressive visually, the accents in the previews really annoy me to no end. I am wondering when/if this will begin to receive backlash. I predict that this movie will have its hey days with the Golden Globe nominations, then teeter out when most audiences look at it, consider it crap, and then make it a financial loser. While not really fair, financial success or lack thereof has come to play a heavier role in Oscar consideration with each passing year. Basically, Cold Mountain could very well be this year's Gangs of New York.
Old 12-26-03, 11:41 AM

Originally posted by Penny Lane
My husband and I flinched at the horrible southern accents throughout the 2 minute or so preview, so I can't imagine sitting through 1-2 hours of that. Absolutely horrible.

Who did the casting for that movie, and WHY did they choose those actors to play southern characters? Please.
I thought the accents were horrible in the previews as well. The acting looks pretty bad too. We all know what Nicole and Jude are pretty good actors - so this falls in the lap of the director for not getting more out of the performances.

Has anyone who's seen the movie provide a viewpoint of the acting overall (leaving out any problems you may have with the story)? The main reason I'm avoiding this one is because the acting looks so horrible...although I'll probably catch it if it gets a lot of Oscar noms.
Old 12-26-03, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

O.K., what previews are you guys seeing where the acting looks terrible? It's because of these previews that I went to see the movie in the first place. And enjoyed it a great deal. ALL of the acting in the movie is top notch. And I disagree with DVDTalk's critic. I think there is a great deal of chemistry between Kidman and Law. And guess what, no one walked out of the sold out show I went to. I'd know, I was right by the door.
Old 12-26-03, 04:08 PM

Originally posted by Daytripper
O.K., what previews are you guys seeing where the acting looks terrible? It's because of these previews that I went to see the movie in the first place. And enjoyed it a great deal. ALL of the acting in the movie is top notch. And I disagree with DVDTalk's critic. I think there is a great deal of chemistry between Kidman and Law. And guess what, no one walked out of the sold out show I went to. I'd know, I was right by the door.
Well, if you don't think that's bad acting in the previews (I am speaking specifically of the scene where Nicole and Rene are mending a fence; where Rene sees her father stuck in a fence and kicks him; and where Jude kisses Nicole goodbye before heading off to war), then I think we've got a serious difference of opinion as to what qualifies as good acting. Those are the three scenes the actors are taking on talk shows with them for promotion and they make me cringe every time I watch them...I've seen high school plays with better acting.
Old 12-26-03, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Saw it. Let me say that the jury is still out on this movie and it is either a great movie with a strong anti-war message or exactly what Megan Denny said, a steaming pile of crud.
The movie had a lot of good things going for it, specifically the soundtrack and Renee Zellwegger's flawless performance. Nicole Kidman is gorgeous, but she really seemed full of herself in the performance. Furthermore, Jude Law just seemed wrong for the role. I am NOT dissing his acting, but he just seemed wrong. Furthermore,
Spoiler:
the movie was just one big emotional downer after another. Granted, from what I have read of it that was what the book was like, but it seemed like a bit much.

Overall, this seems like a classic case of what's good on the printed page doesn't look too great on screen. Some people said the same about LOTR, but this one is a true case.
In all honesty, if this wins Best Picture and and not ROTK, I will not only stop watching the Oscars, but all other awards telecasts as well. (Not that I watch them in the first place. )
Old 12-26-03, 05:13 PM
Banned

One of the reasons for the european cast is that, while taking place in the USA, this film was shot entirely in eastern europe (Romania or Hungry I think)
Old 12-26-03, 05:44 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
It was a little strange to see what looked like breast implants on a woman (Melora Walters) in the Civil War era.
Funny. I noticed that as well and couldn't help but chuckle a bit.
Old 12-26-03, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Spooky
Well, if you don't think that's bad acting in the previews (I am speaking specifically of the scene where Nicole and Rene are mending a fence; where Rene sees her father stuck in a fence and kicks him; and where Jude kisses Nicole goodbye before heading off to war), then I think we've got a serious difference of opinion as to what qualifies as good acting. Those are the three scenes the actors are taking on talk shows with them for promotion and they make me cringe every time I watch them...I've seen high school plays with better acting.
I think you're being a little melodramtic here. Besides, you asked if anyone actually saw the movie who could comment on the "overall acting". And I did.

I agree with Dr. DVD though, "LOTR:ROTK" deserves to win Best Picture. And better.
Old 12-26-03, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Nah, ROTK deserves best 1/3 picture.

I didn't find the acting all that objectionable among the principals in the film. I encourage people to either go see the film and form their own opinion, and stop relying on others to tell you what to think; or just stop knocking something that hasn't been personally experienced by your own senses.
Old 12-26-03, 10:18 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
I just got back from seeing this and I enjoyed it also.

I didn't have a problem with the first hour like some people did but it does tend to lag in parts. I thought it was well acted with Renee Zellwegger and Phillip Seymour Hoffman giving great performances.

The best way to decribe the accents is uneven. In some of the voiceovers when Kidman is speaking the accent is almost nonexistent.

Visually it's stunning. I'll be shocked if this doesn't win Best Cinematography come Oscar time.

I'd give it a B+/A-
Old 12-26-03, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Really enjoyed this movie. It was slow in parts but well worth the money and time.

Very well shot and the acting was right up there.

I loved the chemistry between Kidman and Law. Kidman is gorgeous

Another B+/A- here.
Old 12-26-03, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
I was prepared not to like this film, but once you get past its initial lackluster 45 minutes, the film gains a foothold and progresses rather nicely.
That is exactly the sentiment I felt when I saw the movie yesterday. I think Renee Zellwegger will likely get nominated (and very likely win) Best Supporting Actress in this movie--her performance is the best part of this movie.

It's a good movie but it's not the type of film you want to watch more than once, though--unlike The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, which I've seen twice and want to see it a few more times.
Old 12-26-03, 11:30 PM

I saw Cold Mountain yesterday in a packed theater and I have to say that the 2 hr. 35 min. time felt like 2 min. 35 sec. I have read the book and the movie is wonderfully faithful to the source. The movie does a good job of coveying the problems of Inman and Ada. The movie is well paced and edited nicely between Inman and Ada. As others have stated CM does boast some stunningly beautiful photography and should win the Oscar.

The esemble cast is terrific all around, I think even better than Mystic River. I agree with most of you, when I first saw the previews I was a little hesitate about the acting too, but once you see the film the accents are not a problem. Jude Law, Nicole Kidman, Renee Zellweger, are fantasic as the leads, and all deserve Oscars. The supporting of Natalie Portman, Philp Seymore Hoffman, and Brenden Gleeysen are truly great to see on screen too.

Kidman just keeps giving out one great performance after another. Zellweger is used perfectly with the comedic relief as Ruby. It was definitely nice to see one of my favorite actresses, Portman give a very powerful performance for her short running time on screen. I have to see it was pretty cool to see Jack White of the White Stripes on screen as well. Which leads me to the music which I thought was used beautifully and I will probably pick up the soundtrack. I give the film ***1/2/**** and will see it again.

Now the comparisons to The Return of the King which I have also seen, but have not read the book, are not that difficult. The Return of the King is a better movie and should definitely win best picture and not Cold Mountain. I think TRotK is so much better on greater scale in every way and has more confident filmmaking and this epic filmmaking should get some recogination from the academy.

Last edited by bsktballDude1; 12-28-03 at 08:39 PM.
Old 12-28-03, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Saw this today and loved it. I hate how everyone on the Internet has to turn it into "Cold Mountain vs. ROTK" as if there's some kind of shootout involved, when in truth it is possible to enjoy both movies. I think ROTK beats out Cold Mtn. for best picture for many reasons, but I think in another year CM might easily be my pick. Great performances, great look and based on one of my favorite novels of the last year translated to the screen impeccably. Minghella really seems to be the go-to director for accurate translation of 'literary fiction' (Talented Mr. Ripley, English Patient, now this). ***1/2/****

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.