Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

whats the general thought on Jackie Brown?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: what did you think of jackie brown
Tarantino's best and one of my favorite movies
21.43%
Great movie but not as good as his other movies
45.41%
an alright movie
18.37%
terrible, bored to death
7.14%
haven't seen it yet but plan to
4.59%
Tarantino is an overrated hack
3.06%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

whats the general thought on Jackie Brown?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-06, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You know, a few characters get blown away at excruciatingly close range in this flick, and you folks are carrying on about the f-bombs previously lobbed their way? What are you people... the FCC?

"Jackie Brown" is my favorite Tarantino flick, but I wish the dialog had been liberally laced with a few "cocksucker"s, or maybe a couple of "cock-suckin' muthafucka"s, and possibly a few other derivations of the root "cocksuck". Yeah, I'm a big "Deadwood" fan.

I also like the term "cun-ty".
Old 08-17-06, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 251 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
You know, a few characters get blown away at excruciatingly close range in this flick, and you folks are carrying on about the f-bombs previously lobbed their way? What are you people... the FCC?

"Jackie Brown" is my favorite Tarantino flick, but I wish the dialog had been liberally laced with a few "cocksucker"s, or maybe a couple of "cock-suckin' muthafucka"s, and possibly a few other derivations of the root "cocksuck". Yeah, I'm a big "Deadwood" fan.

Not that I agree with the argument but many people say that generally in films and tv shows the people who perform evil acts such as murder pay for their sins in the end where as cursing is done by both the good and bad guys and not shows as a disgusting habit, against good, immoral, etc.

Last edited by Mrs.Nesbit; 08-17-06 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-17-06, 01:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mrs.Nesbit
I believe that the amount of profanity used in Tarantino films is based upon the culture of his characters.
This is true to an certain extent. Tarantino's characters are stereotypically written toward minorities, and below average caucasian men and women. There are many highly educated minorities in today's society, who restrict themselves from the use of inordinate profane language that's generally portrayed in Tarantino's movies. Regardless of the alleged degenerate lifestyles, that's often depicted in movies of African American, and other minorities, they also do withheld, and maintained very prominent, professional careers as well. Every minority is not a criminal, drug dealer, crack addict, prostitute, or a gang member, as most perceived by many viewers of films. I am a prime example of this statement.

Last edited by SINGLE104; 08-17-06 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-17-06, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 251 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally Posted by SINGLE104
This is true to an certain extent. Tarantino's characters are stereotypically written toward minorities, and below average caucasion men and women. There are many highly educated minorities in today's society, who restrict themselves from the use of inordinate profane language that's generally portrayed in Tarantino's movies. Regardless of the alleged degenerate lifestyles, that's often depicted in movies of African American, and other minorities, they also do withheld, and maintained very prominent, professional careers as well. Every minority is not a criminal, drug dealer, crack addict, prostitute, or a gang member, as most perceived by many viewers of films. I am a prime example of this statement.
95% of Tarantino's characters are white and though not every minority is a criminal, drug dealer, crack addict, prostitute, or gang member almost every character in Tarantino's films are.
Old 08-17-06, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are many highly educated minorities in today's society, who restrict themselves from the use of inordinate profane language that's generally portrayed in Tarantino's movies.
He's not populating his stories with these types of people/characters--white, black, Asian or otherwise. His stories are filled with cons, criminals, hustlers, assassins, prostitutes, drug addicts, kingpins, etc. and the language of these characters reflects this.

Rule #1 about Tarantino: Don't go to his films expecting social commentary. They are crime fantasies and homages to exploitation cinema. Everything is hyperbolic and over-the-top, from the language to the violence to the plots themselves. (And no, you probably won't find any "highly educated minorities" in his next two films--Grindhouse and Inglorious Bastards--either.)
Old 08-17-06, 07:17 PM

Tarantino's best and one of my favorite movies.
Old 08-17-06, 07:55 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Jackie Brown is my personal favorite Tarantino film. It feels like such a mature work in comparison to a lot of his other stuff. I'll always stop to watch Jackie Brown when I see it on cable.
Old 08-18-06, 01:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TimeandTide
(And no, you probably won't find any "highly educated minorities" in his next two films--Grindhouse and Inglorious Bastards--either.)
I'm not surprised! I instantaneously detect this, just from the titles only.
Old 08-19-06, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Jackie Brown is sorta one of his best films, but I love all his films. The dvd is very nice for this film, well done and well made. I think this is one of those films by a director that for whatever reason can't breathe between his 3 other more recognized staples (Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Kill Bill vol.1&2) but it deserves to be there for sure.
Old 08-19-06, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think it's easily one of his best films and is critically/commercially underrated. De Niro is awesome (as usual) and Jackson gives an Oscar-caliber performance. Throw in plenty of classic stars (Forster, Grier, Haig) from yesteryear and a kick ass soundtrack and you've got the making's for an amazing piece of work. It's not one of my favorite films of all time, but it easily fits into my top 20.
Old 08-19-06, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I hate it, and I love the rest of Tarintinos stuff. I couldn't get through it without falling asleep.
Old 08-20-06, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm looking forward to Tarantino's next movie, The Dartmouth Graduating Minority Gang. It's supposed to be off the fucking chain, esse.
Old 08-21-06, 12:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by lordwow
I hate it, and I love the rest of Tarintinos stuff. I couldn't get through it without falling asleep.
You actually fell asleep on one of Tarantino's movies? Maybe because of the length.
Old 08-21-06, 12:18 AM
Cool New Member

I love Jackie Brown, my third favorite Tarantino film, especially Bridget Fonda. Loooouisssss, Loooooouissss!
Old 08-21-06, 12:36 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hated it and was bored to death. The only one of QTs films I didn't like at all.
Old 12-02-16, 01:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: whats the general thought on Jackie Brown?

I seem to revisit this film, more than any other QT film. Makes a great double feature with Charley Varrick. If you have the time, check out the Leonard Maltin podcast, with Robert Forester. Despite, Maltin's daughter interrupting, it's incredible. I know, it seems impossible, but you'll end up liking and respecting Robert Forester, even more so than beforehand.
Old 12-02-16, 08:06 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your absolutely correct. Jackie Brown would have been an even better movie, if the frequent use of profanity, and ethnic slurs were omitted.
Now... this wimpy piece of shit is banned. So who gives a fuck but still. Fuck that limp dick motherfucker for thinking Jackie Brown would be better w/o all the goddamn cursing. Jesus H. Fuck Me in the Asshole Christ. If any film of QT's had all the more reason to have cursing.. it'd be this one. Just by region and era it came out.

----------------------

I actually like this film a lot. May not be my favorite of his but.... I think it's his best and is insanely overrated cuz it's the most mature of his works. It's the most "mellow" or "normal" of his films. It's a bit off from our world. But it's pretty close to it too. More so than any of this other films. I can see how "fans" of QT may not like it in comparison to the others but I think the writing is wonderfully paced w/ some damn fine acting. Shame this one is overlooked even now.
Old 12-02-16, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

This is my favorite QT film bar none. It proved that Tarantino could buck his own personal trend and do something different. He doesn't have to lean on psychotic violence or other depraved things for shock value to hook people. It's just a quiet character study/caper movie. It's a shame he took the low road with "Kill Bill" onwards with revenge movies that have a bunch of cartoon characters committing cartoon violence.

My favorite scene:

Jackie is in the dressing room waiting for the pick-up from Melanie. And she just silently looks in the mirror seeing her own tired, miserable look on her face. And she looks into her eyes like she's saying: "Why did my life turn out like this?" (this scene could have been cut as it doesn't advance the plot. But it adds a lot of tone to the character.)

Last edited by PatD; 12-03-16 at 11:29 AM.
Old 12-02-16, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

IMO it's his best film. It's also the one that stands out in his filmography because the screenplay is an adaptation and the aspect ratio is 1.85:1.
Old 12-03-16, 12:06 AM

Received 1,921 Likes on 1,133 Posts

Don't know how I missed this thread all those years ago but I voted for "Tarantino's best and one of my favorite movies" in the poll with impunity, even after all those other great films that came after it.
Old 12-03-16, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy

Proto-Solid Snake?
Old 12-04-16, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah this is the QT movie I return to most, easily his best, there's no flaws.
Old 12-05-16, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by jaeufraser
Oh I loved this movie. Better than the rest? That's hard to say. While I'm sure Jackie Brown gets knocked a lot because quite frankly it doesn't have the coolness that pervades his other films (though it's still got that vibe), I think it's his most impressive work dramatically speaking, as there's definately a more in depth development of main characters. Excellent film from an excellent filmmaker. Quentin, make more movies!
My thoughts exactly. Jackie Brown is an amazing movie, and Pam, oh Pam! Perfectly cast.
Old 12-05-16, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Jackie Brown is a great movie. Tarantino's best? Maybe, maybe not - but it is a great movie.

I thought it was just OK the first time I watched it back in the late 90's, but it was the 2nd time I watched it that I really, "Got it," and I came to appreciate it for how great it is.
Old 12-05-16, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts

Loved it then, love it even more now. IMO Tarantino's best film, likely because it's his least Tarantino™ film.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.