Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Polar Express Trailer - Tom Hanks and lots o CG

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Polar Express Trailer - Tom Hanks and lots o CG

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-04, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally posted by Meatpants

That trailer is the creepiest thing I've ever seen. Do they really think they're going to make $350 million dollars with that?
Doesn't look any creepier than the humans in the "Shrek" movies. But at least they have talking donkeys and cats in those.
Old 06-03-04, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks a bit sappy to me. I'm sure it will do well, but it looks kind of weak...
Old 06-04-04, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think The Incredibles has anything to worry about.
Old 06-04-04, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It seems myself and the folks I saw Azkaban with had a very different impression of the trailer than most people in this thread . Not a one of us were impressed, and thought it looked absolutely horrible (not necessarily the animation, just the movie in general).
Old 06-04-04, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by cartman
It seems myself and the folks I saw Azkaban with had a very different impression of the trailer than most people in this thread . Not a one of us were impressed, and thought it looked absolutely horrible (not necessarily the animation, just the movie in general).
I actually agree. I think the animation looks fabulous, so I'll probably watch it just for that, but honestly the movie looks like nothing I want to watch. Kids and santa stories with goofy christmas music has never been my thing. Kinda like how I thought Elf was a boring pile.
Old 06-04-04, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Seems to reveal a pretty big spoiler near the end when they show Santa's face, doesn't it? Or am I seeing things again?
Old 06-05-04, 12:42 AM

Originally posted by johnglass
Seems to reveal a pretty big spoiler near the end when they show Santa's face, doesn't it? Or am I seeing things again?
I was quite surprised by that. The trailer seemed to show the entire movie.
Old 06-05-04, 01:41 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by cartman
Originally posted by Duder
I was quite surprised by that. The trailer seemed to show the entire movie.
These three posts = pretty much what I was thinking. I was actually interested in this after the first teaser. During this new trailer, I was still interested while they were on the train. But at some point the trailer derails (heh heh) and it becomes godawful sappy and extremely spoilerific.
Old 06-05-04, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sure it looks sappy and overdone in spots.
But I'll take my then 4 year-old daughter to see it and if she loves it then I'll be happy. And I'm pretty sure she will.
Old 06-05-04, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm surprised people are mad that the trailer contains spoilers, as it is pretty obvious what will happen. Anyway, trailerific (I made a word) spoilers are a trademark of Bob Zemeckis. Look at Cast Away, the trailer gave away the whole movie (and it even included the last shot from the film in it). In addition, the trailer for What Lies Benneath gave the whole movie away.

I remember reading a quote that said that Zemeckis wants his trailers to show most of the movie, so people know what they are getting from the movie or something. Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing The Polar Express (great book, and I think the animation looks stellar). I just hate that Christmas song!
Old 06-05-04, 10:16 PM

I can't believe everyone is complaining about spoilers in the trailer. Has no one read this book? Is everyone too busy reading crappy Harry Potter, to actually read a good book?
Old 06-06-04, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To me the animation looked bad, everyone moved stiff, why go superealistic with animating people, why not just shoot real people and CG the backgrounds or such?
Old 06-06-04, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by JustInsane
I can't believe everyone is complaining about spoilers in the trailer.
Well, believe it.

Has no one read this book?
Consider maybe everyone hasn't read this book?

Is everyone too busy reading crappy Harry Potter, to actually read a good book?
I can't comment on whether or not this is a good book (or if Harry Potter books are 'crappy', which I seriously doubt) because I have not in fact read it, but then again I generally don't read childrens books.
Old 06-06-04, 09:23 PM

Originally posted by harosa
To me the animation looked bad, everyone moved stiff, why go superealistic with animating people, why not just shoot real people and CG the backgrounds or such?
First off there's continuity. These CG characters fit into the CG world flawlessly...real people tend to stand out a little more. Second, this movie isn't just plain humans walking around. There's MUCH MUCH more to it. For instance I think there's a CG kid version of Tom Hanks, among otehr things.

Personally I think it looks great. The animation that is...sure it's not completely realistic, but I think that's the point.
Old 06-07-04, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
I guess I'm one of the few who was less than impressed by the trailer. People keep telling me it's a wonderful kids book - so I guess that means a lot of people will be going to see it. Sometimes trailers don't reflect the quality of the film, though.

I also wasn't THAT impressed with the animation - whomever said he's seen as good animation on some home computer games hit the nail on the head.
Old 06-07-04, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
wow, the trailer was like Blah. the animation on the characters seemed stiff and groucho nailed it. A PS2 seem to render better CGI cut scenes than that.
Old 06-07-04, 05:40 AM

Not to be a stickler, but a PS2 doesn't render CG cutscenes.

Seeing the trailer on the big screen with Harry Potter, the kids seem even more unnatural and frightening. Especially the little black girl.
Old 06-07-04, 10:52 AM

I think it looks horrendous. Just awful. Lifeless, static, forced... Also, the story seems to be Cliché City and disgustingly sugar-coated. And Hanks sounds like he couldn't care less.
Old 06-07-04, 03:05 PM

can't wait to see this movie!!!!!
Old 06-07-04, 03:42 PM

I can't comment on whether or not this is a good book (or if Harry Potter books are 'crappy', which I seriously doubt) because I have not in fact read it, but then again I generally don't read childrens books.
I have read or tired to read Harry Potter and IMHO they are crap. A writter that needs to tell you on every other page how great her main character is, needs to go back and learn how develop a character into being great instead of just telling how great they are.

Polar Express is only about 10 pages long and a hell of a lot more entertaining.
Old 06-07-04, 04:09 PM
Banned

I love the book, I was excited about this project, but the trailer burst my bubble big-time.

The trailer is so typical for Zemekis. Why does this idiot always show the whole movie in the trailer? It's obnoxious. He's a great filmmaker, he doesn't need to do this. He must not have much confidence in his work.

The animation looks weird. Motion capture has the same problem as roto-scope animation...it just looks wrong.

It's a weird concept, but human motion shouldn't look too real or it begins to look unreal. Audiences are used to animation providing them with stylized and exagerated movement. Mocap and roto-scope look less stylized and more "real" (ie. how a real flesh and blood human would move). For some strange reason this real movement seems more fake. The characters all seem stiff and unnatural (like the people walking on the deck of the Titanic)

Last edited by Pants; 06-08-04 at 11:04 AM.
Old 06-09-04, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The movie looks great to me. Tom Hanks sure knows how to pick good movies to be in or voice.
Old 06-09-04, 06:57 PM
Banned

Originally posted by harosa
Because then the filmmakers wouldn't be able to fall on the "Oh-it's-animated-so-cut-it-some-slack" defense and mentality that saves servicable but forgettable pap like Shrek 2.

This movie looks absolutely horrible.
Old 06-09-04, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not impressed with the tell-all trailer, though I must say, the animation recreates the look of the book flawlessly.

Bear in mind, it's from a picture book that has only a couple of lines every second page... you could get a twenty minute special, perhaps, but one might wonder what they'll pad the film with to get a feature length.
Old 06-09-04, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was interested when the first teaser emerged, but the full trailer didn't really interest me. I might just go ahead and skip it and read the book to my son instead.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.