Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Weekly Alibi's Ten Best Horror Films You've (Probably) Never Seen

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Weekly Alibi's Ten Best Horror Films You've (Probably) Never Seen

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-13, 04:26 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Re: The Weekly Alibi's Ten Best Horror Films You've (Probably) Never Seen

The Brood, Brain Dead, Cronos and May are the ones I've seen. There's a thread around here somewhere discussing May (my initial search didn't return anything though).

Curse of the Demon has been on my to-watch list for years, I should get on that. Never heard of a few of them.
Old 03-22-13, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

As is usually the case with these "unknown horror movie" lists, I've seen them all. Yeah, it's not particularly obscure when you have well-known directors like Del Toro and Cronenberg. And I thought Curse of the Demon was relatively well-known (as any horror movie from the 50s can be). And I remembered May getting a lot of attention at the time (at least from online movie sites).

All the movies are good though. Paperhouse has very much an 80s feel to it (not surprising considered the director was moving from music videos to features at that point). I consider it more a children's fantasy (with some scary bits) than a horror movie. The same director did Candyman, which I'm sure more are familiar with.

Day of the Beast is a good one. Horror comedy, not straight horror. If you're familiar with any other movies by Alex de la Inglesia (Last Circus, 800 Bullets, Mutant Action, Dying of Laughter, Perfect Crime, Community), you'll have an idea what's coming. Don't judge the director by his English-language movies (Dance with the Devil, Oxford Murders) ... they have a different tone and are a step below his Spanish-language work.

Last edited by brainee; 03-22-13 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-22-13, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Brood is certainly more well known than Shivers or Rabid, and they are both more entertaining.
Old 04-12-13, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by TheySentYou
anyone seen Paperhouse?
I finally got to see it recently (after hearing about it for years) and thought it was quite good. The ending wasn't as satisfying as I'd hoped, but I'm not sure what I was expecting to happen or how they could have improved it. Still, it's a very haunting and sorely overlooked gem. I just ordered the UK DVD for cheap, even though I don't currently own a region free player. Hopefully some company (Criterion?) will eventually license it for an American Blu-ray release.

I decided to look up the child actors from the movie and discovered the boy who played Marc died under tragic circumstances. Apparently, he had a reaction to anti-malaria medication and later developed psychosis. Both kids gave very memorable performances and I was sad to discover such a talented young man died so prematurely.

Last edited by joe_b; 04-29-13 at 01:44 PM.