Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Kill Bill Vol 1 Thread Pt. III

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Kill Bill Vol 1 Thread Pt. III

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-04, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why buy when you can simply download? without the need of lining some bootleggers pocket, you can save the :10bucks: aswell as have the movie till the dvd comes out.
Old 01-09-04, 06:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm, that's a good point...see this thread
Old 04-14-04, 03:37 PM

Bump

rented this last night.
i think they used a body double for closeups of uma's feet.
Old 04-14-04, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Re: Bump

Originally posted by dvd_talker
rented this last night.
i think they used a body double for closeups of uma's feet.
What about that shot where Gordon Liu has fallen into a pond where the camera is shooting through her legs with her booty at the top of the screen?

I meant to only watch a little bit of this last night but wound up watching the whole thing. Movie just draws you in and doesn't let go.
Old 04-14-04, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I picked this up last night after a rental yesterday, and I was floored. I rented it b/c I didn't know what to expect. I didn't like Pulp Fiction the first time I saw it, but I fell in love with it on subsequent viewings. I'm not a kung-fu film buff, and I haven't gotten into Leone's spaghetti westerns either. In other words, I had NO IDEA what films QT was paying tribute to.

IMO, though, this film was a tour-de-force. From the moment it started until it ended, I was glued to the TV. My only gripe is that some of the fight scenes ended a little quickly, esp. with Vernita Green and O Ren. But, at the same time, the way they ended was pretty unexpected to me anyway.

As far as the anime goes, I've never seen any so I can't be a judge on the quality of that section. I enjoyed it, so as far as I'm concerned it was pretty good. The B&W section also didn't bother me so much. Did he do taht for the US release for ratings reasons or just to cause people to hunt down the Japanese version?

FInally, I think I'm glad it's split up b/c I couldn't sit through three hours of that without being worn out. I can't wait for Vol. 2, and I hope it ends up being as good as Vol. 1.
Old 04-14-04, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Question... On my dvd, there are 3 instances (that I caught) where someone would say the real name of Uma's character, but they are kinda bleeped out; two during scenes with "copperhead", and one later in the film. what is the deal with that? At first I thought it was a defect on the dvd, but it happens on both the DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1 tracks, and only when someone is saying her name. I would have read the other threads already about this movie, but there are way too many posts to read through. Thanks.
Old 04-14-04, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Question... On my dvd, there are 3 instances (that I caught) where someone would say the real name of Uma's character, but they are kinda bleeped out; two during scenes with "copperhead", and one later in the film. what is the deal with that? At first I thought it was a defect on the dvd, but it happens on both the DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1 tracks, and only when someone is saying her name. I would have read the other threads already about this movie, but there are way too many posts to read through. Thanks.
That was intentional and it's how the movie was in theaters.

It was Tarantino playing mind games, he wanted The Bride to remain mysterious and just be "The Bride" for volume 1, and opted to draw attention to it by making it a loud bleep instead of muting it out.

This actually, imo, bodes well for the movie and makes it seem more "self contained" - you have the "mysterious" villian and nameless assassin with an interesting alias going around kicking some ass. (If it were all one movie, her name likely wouldn't have been bleeped out)

You can figure her name out numerous ways, and her last name is said, a couple times - though you'd never be able to tell.

Last edited by RichC2; 04-14-04 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-14-04, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Yup, you will never would have been able to tell her last name since it sounds like any other pet name or random comment you call someone.
Old 04-14-04, 09:32 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
For those who just want to know, it's:
Spoiler:
Beatrix Kiddo
Old 04-14-04, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Good; Just glad to know my DVD isn't defective. I got it at Wal-mart, and was afraid they might have censored or edited it (like the do with music they find offensive). (But for the life of me, I couldn't figure out why they would bleep someone's last name, and allow all that blood and swearing!)
Old 06-05-04, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Rented this last night. Loved the movie.

One question though. In the scene at the beginning with Fox. Why did they beep out Uma's character's name and what were they saying?
Old 06-05-04, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Check four posts up from yours.
Old 06-05-04, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks. After reading thread after thread after thread I decided to just jump to the end and ask.
Old 06-05-04, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sneak preview: It's bleeped out through the first half of Vol. 2 as well.