Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Alien vs. Predator

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-03, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Jack... how can Anderson destroy these franchises when they've already been destroyed? Alien Resurrection, Predator 2, Robocop 3 and the awful tv series, and Terminator 3. It's just kinda funny how everyone's all complaining that Anderson is going to be the reason this terrible idea of a film will end up as a bad movie. Most people thought Alien 3 and 4 were terrible... both had great directors... maybe it's not the directors, but it's the fact that people simply can't be satisfied. I mean, fans create these ideas in their head of what the perfect sequel will be - in a very obsessive way sometimes and no matter what movie they get, it simply won't live up to what they had in mind usually. I believe that's what happened with Resident Evil... cuz I thought that movie was badass - I'm a fan of the games, but I didn't have any expectations going in - I can see someone being disappointed cuz it wasn't the exact same movie they had created in their head, but I can't see how someone could otherwise just claim it's a terrible movie. It was a blast.

But whatever... to each his own. It would be nice though if people could wait until they see it before saying what a piece of garbage it is... especially seeing as how it hasn't even been made yet.
Old 10-31-03, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,130 Posts
Originally posted by Trigger
Jack... how can Anderson destroy these franchises when they've already been destroyed? Alien Resurrection, Predator 2, Robocop 3 and the awful tv series, and Terminator 3. It's just kinda funny how everyone's all complaining that Anderson is going to be the reason this terrible idea of a film will end up as a bad movie. Most people thought Alien 3 and 4 were terrible... both had great directors... maybe it's not the directors, but it's the fact that people simply can't be satisfied. I mean, fans create these ideas in their head of what the perfect sequel will be - in a very obsessive way sometimes and no matter what movie they get, it simply won't live up to what they had in mind usually. I believe that's what happened with Resident Evil... cuz I thought that movie was badass - I'm a fan of the games, but I didn't have any expectations going in - I can see someone being disappointed cuz it wasn't the exact same movie they had created in their head, but I can't see how someone could otherwise just claim it's a terrible movie. It was a blast.

But whatever... to each his own. It would be nice though if people could wait until they see it before saying what a piece of garbage it is... especially seeing as how it hasn't even been made yet.

I agree on all points Trigger.
Old 10-31-03, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To think that Fox decided to pursue AvP instead of a fifth Alien film with Scott or Cameron involvement is baffling to me...
I'll tell you exactly why. Aliens versus Predator has been one of the most hoped for movies by Internet folks since the dawn of the man. Corona (before they merged with Cinescape) had entries going back to 1996 related to AVP.

Back in 96,97 whatever- both franchises were being left for dead. Alien4 was pretty much bad all around, and didn't do so hot in the theaters. Predator 2 was pretty much a critical disaester all the way around. The thinking that an AVP movie would do OK, but not another single film from either franchise.

Secondly, Scott and Cameron at the time had absolutely no interest in an Alien5 movie until very recently. Neither did Weaver, which would kill another Alien movie. Sigourney expresses interest in another Alien movie every few years so she can cash a big paycheck - its true.

I still doubt whether Cameron would be involved in Alien5. It sounds like Scott has shown more interest, but to me it sounds like more general hype and not much substance.

With AVP, the studios has multiple scripts ready to go.
Old 10-31-03, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Trigger
Long post, lots said.

Well the Robocop vs terminator comment was more of a sarcasitic joke since I've always felt that VS was just a little silly.

anyhow. I find the story elements which anderson or shane pitched to be the death kiss to the series. on the aliens side you contradict a lot of what has been done in the aliens films. In the Predator side you are making up these things as you go along. Five young predators? Gods on earth? eh. just makes no sense. Predator was in bad shape before with Predator 2, but it wasn't on it's death bed or anything. Aliens really couldn't do another sequel on it's own without scott or cameron on board to atleast give it some interest. I'm frustrated with Winston and Giger Not being apart of this because we are going to be getting monster designs that are second rate. Look at the way Aliens looked in the other sequels where winston and giger wasn't apart of. you got your dog alien which I hated so much. You have your high tech looking aliens in alien ressurrect which looked to shinny and new. eh.

I had high hopes and really, a big fan without any sort of fan fic story in my head. but it just lets me down how low this story can get.
Old 10-31-03, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

well, all I'm saying is - just wait and see... maybe the story will end up tieing it all together.
Old 10-31-03, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

. Five young predators? Gods on earth? eh. just makes no sense.
You keep on posting this like you know exaclty how it is going to be used in the movie. As far as I could interpret the featurette and the AICN review of the script, the "gods on earth" thing was just some kind of weak backstory to why pyramids show up in Antartica. I don't think its a major deal.

The five young predators actually sounds like a great idea, it seems like a highly skilled predator would have no problem taking out an alien without a problem.
Old 10-31-03, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Well it's not a matter of one predator taking out one alien. Aliens attack in numbers. that is what put the whole Comic series on the map, thats what caused the excitement. sure the predator can kill one easy, but even in that one you get the acid backlash of killing that one. Let alone the whole attack by numbers. What doesn't make sense.. only five predators every thousand years come to hunt? huh?

the back story will be a big thing. It would work to try to explain the post. Aliens worked without ever knowning where they came from. Predaotr worked with the basic facts that it's a hunting party out collecting trophies and they have high standards of honor. no need to tell what they do when they get home or how there social life works.
Old 10-31-03, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, they probably won't convey that in the movie... he just set that up in the featurette to show that they're doing work beyond just what's in the script. I think it shows that they're working hard to make a cohesive movie. I don't think he'll ignore the past movies and I don't think he'll try to make this his own creation. It's a huge undertaking really and I'm impressed that he has the balls to take it on and stand up to the criticism of the trench coat nerd mafia (present company excluded of course).
Old 10-31-03, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well you know me. Just one of those things being a big fan of both series since childhood. I would relate it to a sort of having Freddy Vs Jason with out Englund. but eh. Hell, I'm still going to go out and get the teaser posters and watch it a good amount of times, but doesn't mean I'll not complain the whole way through.

seems more like he just wants a challenge. I can tell he's trying to make good films but he is really falling short in his past works. Just wish I was established enough or knew someone who was that might have been able to take this on.

The creative jumps do scare me and nothing said so far has gotten me excited or swayed my views on this, so lets see how it goes. I might be a little unfair about giving the devil his dues, but it just screams Awful at this current position.
Old 11-01-03, 12:09 AM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
aliens on earth, predators our god.. why the hell would they find game in hunting people they already enslaved once?
They might have done it to keep the population from rising up just as the Spartans and the Helots
Old 11-02-03, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Kaffe_02
They might have done it to keep the population from rising up just as the Spartans and the Helots
Good answer! Though I think you're a little to well-read for the Anderson ilk. Most of them probably think "Spartan" means Stallone's character in Demolition Man...
Old 11-02-03, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The teaser posters are nice. The teaser trailer are nice (especially on a huge screen). I will anticipate seeing this film, but I have a gut instinct inside that the film will end up being total shit and I will be sad (as I'm a fan of both franchises).

I'm sorry, but Paul Anderson is the worst director and writer working in the film industry at this current moment. How he got work after his first feature Shopping is beyond me. I do enjoy Mortal Kombat as a guilty pleasure if only for the line, "Those were five-hundred dollar sunglasses, a-hole." But Event Horizon was a piece of shit (it's just a horror film version of Solaris for Christ's sake). Soldier was a gigantic piece of shit and Resident Evil raped the zombie movie genre long before House of the Dead had it's way with the genre (and after it finally gained some respect with 28 Days Later). I wouldn't trust anything in Paul Anderson's hands. Any way possible, he will mess it up.

Why FOX didn't get Cameron and Scott together to work on an Alien 5 is beyond me. Instead, we're going to get a half-assed attempt at filmmaking my Paul Anderson. Maybe if the film is somehow good, we will get a real attempt at a sequel to Alien or Predator. But if it sucks, let's hope that some pissed off fanboy ends up killing Paul Anderson so nobody ever has to sit through one of his shitty movies ever again.
Old 11-02-03, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
... raped the zombie movie genre long before House of the Dead had it's way with the genre.

You know, this film could look worse... at least Uwe Boll isn't directing it.

"Ven der perdator kills die alien, ve insert footage from die video game! Es ist ausgezeitnicht!"
Old 11-02-03, 05:21 AM
Banned

Yeah, that feature did nothing to help. They should pull it ASAP.

Wow. Imagine Ripley and Dutch teaming up to share their wisdom on taking down the alien/predator menace.

No. Instead we get tripe. I'm not going to pay to see this.
Old 11-02-03, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll actually wait for the reviews to come in before I make a judgment.
Old 11-02-03, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Breakfast with Girls
I'll actually wait for the reviews to come in before I make a judgment.
A reasonable man.

I agree.
Old 11-02-03, 02:13 PM

What Fincher did to Alien with Alien 3 (though I love Fight Club) was bad enough. Than they gave us the even worse piece of garbage known as Alien Ressurrection. Now THIS?!

I don't have to see the SH!T to know what it is I am smelling.

Doesnt anybody care, even Ridley Scott or James Cameron, about the damage the studio is doing to what was a great film and a really good sequel?

Had this franchise been handled right, it could have been great, and it could have gone on for a long time.

I went to see the original at the theater this weekend. I never saw it at the theater before, given that I was 8 years old when the film was released. I have to say, I always loved this movie, but seeing it on the big screen proper just made me appreciate it all the more. I will say this, I do wish they had done something about the audio, by todays standards you really had to strain to hear what they were saying.
Old 11-02-03, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Had this franchise been handled right, it could have been great, and it could have gone on for a long time.
I highly doubt it. Alien and Aliens were the perfect one-two punch. A sci/fi horror fiick and then a sci/fi action flick (Alien and Alines respectively) Neither Scott nor Camerson expressed any interest in returning until very recently

How many more movies can you make about a big bug with no personality?

Alien3 attemped to go back to the feel of Alien (and it didn't work so hot) and Alien Resurrection tried to go back to the Aliens prototype.
Old 11-02-03, 02:40 PM

Well, I wouldnt have minded seeing a film on an Earth Alien epidemic and perhaps a film where they find the Alien Homeworld, which was an idea Ridley Scott once had for a possible sequel.

Other than those two ideas, well you would be surprised at what a truly creative mind could have come up with.

BTW, I dont see any point whatsoever in bringing Sigourney Weaver back for any of the films but the second. She really is not a necessary character in my opinion.

Also, Cameron made the Aliens into Bugs, Scott hinted at their intelligence. I have seen alot of preproduction artwork that focused on the ruins of the alien culture, including Pyramids and Heiroglyphics that were made for the original film, but cost restraints forced them to take the film into a different direction.+ There is a book that details this side story, and shows the prepro artwork. Not sure what it was called, maybe the Art of Alien or something like that. I had the book long ago.
Old 11-02-03, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
The teaser didn't do much for me (though I liked the tag line at the end) but the featurette has me mildly interested. I like them focusing on the fact that Predators have been on earth during our past (a plot point wisely taken from Predator 2) but the five Predators fighting for manhood against Alien hordes makes no sense unless this film takes place in the future after the intended ending of Alien Resurrection. If it's Aliens on earth before that, it'll totally contradict the Alien franchise.

rushmore223,
I read somewhere that Alien was originally intended to end with an unfilmed ending that had the Alien decapitate Ripley, sit on the captains chair and then, in Ripley's voice, call to Earth and ask for permission to make an emergency trip back to earth. If true, Scott definitely intended the Aliens to be smart. Then again, Cameron never negated their intelligence since the Aliens though quite savage were very intelligent and capable of discovering solutions to numerous problems.
Old 11-02-03, 05:56 PM

but the five Predators fighting for manhood against Alien hordes makes no sense unless this film takes place in the future after the intended ending of Alien Resurrection. If it's Aliens on earth before that, it'll totally contradict the Alien franchise.
They can cleary pull it off -- after all, if the Predators seed the planet(s) for sport then presumably they kill them all off, so remains wouldn't necessarily survive.

However, I totally agree that it'd be stupid. Especially in Antarctica. It's well established that Predators like hot climates. Last I checked, it's cold up there.

If you want to have human-alien-predator interaction (which is the only way this would work) then have it be on a colonized planet. It's also well established in the Alien franchise that humans have done this.

Bringing in some background story about the Predators being former/current gods and having it take place on Earth seems to be very thin and forced. Everything else in the featurette focused on fluff (stupid throwing stars, pyramid, explosions), so in order to have some depth they probably figured this would be a good idea.

I figure three things shouldn't happen: 1) Take place on Earth, certainly not prior to Alien Resurrection, 2) discuss previous interaction between the species outside the established movies, and 3) be in an isolated/cold environment.

The original AvP comic series took place on a frontier type planet where farmers raised alien cows. IMO, that's perfect because it provides isolation, a controlled population size yet plenty of alien-producing fodder, and a set-up where numerous aliens would force human-predator cooperation, which was a plot point that makes the comics so good.

One of my big hesitations about the supposed plot is that, logically, there would only be a handful of people up in Antarctica (certainly <30) and that would not be terribly compelling as, at most, it would be 4-5 Predators vs <30 aliens (assuming all humans were turned to aliens, which they would not). When you're unarmed, 1 alien is intimidating (Alien). When you're well armed, countless aliens is intimidating. If you're well armed and only facing a few, it's not as compelling (Alien 4).

This is still rather early on in the project, but the featurette only served to dampen my interest in the movie. I'll still see it and, hopefully, the initial plans can be altered, but I'm just not a fan of the Stargate plotline.
Old 11-03-03, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by yecul
... Especially in Antarctica. It's well established that Predators like hot climates. Last I checked, it's cold up there.
Last I checked, it's down there.
Old 11-03-03, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by chanster
How many more movies can you make about a big bug with no personality?
Eight, apparently
Old 11-03-03, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Did anyone read/see the Dark Horse comic where Predators CRASH landed in Siberia? Dutch and a Female Officer have to fight the Preds. In the book, the Pred's ship was radioactive(accidental leak) and was producing an arid zone around it. They went down in a valley and were trying to stay warm by leaning up against hot boilers in the Russian's base that would've burned human flesh.

I read the novelization....
Old 11-03-03, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Eight, apparently

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.