Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Alien vs. Predator

Old 10-30-03, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
We'll see how it is. Personally, the only Anderson film I like by him is Event Horizon.
Old 10-30-03, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, the fact that aliens are on earth kills it for me.

Alien: Company is trying to get a sample to Earth. Pointless to do if there was already some on earth

Aliens: the company set up the homes on LV-460 to hopefully harvest the weapon they wanted.

Alien3: Company again wants the alien

Alien res: Trying to STOP the aliens from getting to earth.

If you look at the series, in the future it was an attempt to stop the potential alien infestation on earth. You know, if they wanted to do aliens on earth I wouldn't have minded it so much back during Alien 3. Hell even the teaser for alien 3 hinted at an earth battle. Now to say that aliens were around in the aztec days and that Predators were our gods and the force behind the creation of Pyramids? uh no. What I expect from an aliens Vs Predator movie.

Predator comes down for a hunt that is something more the artic scientist, come across aliens and new target. It would have been nice to throw in Marines but that wasnt a high expectation. It would have been nice though. Over all, linking the two creatures to the past of the earth is a bad idea.
Old 10-30-03, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Trigger, if you have something to say, do it through e-mail. A public message board isn't a place for arguments.
Old 10-30-03, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its actually LV-426.

If the aliens are on earth in the present (hidden away so no one knows they are there) what is the big deal..how does it screw up the Alien franchise..if they aren't running around Earth in the future, they aren't there.
Old 10-30-03, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I am in the minority. I thought Paul Anderson done a respectable job with Mortal Kombat / Resident Evil and other flicks... Still, I don't hold much hope for this one.
Old 10-30-03, 03:48 PM

Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts
I still liked the comic book stroyline with the space cows.
Old 10-30-03, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Jack brings up a good point with the Aliens on earth - unless this is supposed to be in the future... after alien 4 where the aliens supposedly ended up on earth. That would be a logical step.

I actually love Paul Anderson movies (except for Soldier). The only thing that really had me upset about this movie was the premise of bringing aliens and predators together... after seeing the featurette, I'm alot more optomistic. I'm actually starting to get excited about it. Guess I'm just a dummy.
Old 10-30-03, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Old 10-30-03, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
I repeat..

No:
Stan Winston
Giger
Marines
Arnold, Glover or Weaver

= all signs point to suckekekekekekekek

the last thing i would want is arnold to be back. i fully believe the stupidity of having weaver in every alien movies lead to each film getting worse and worse.

i don't like anderson but imagine what we'd get if the plot had to get dutch and weaver teamed up thus stomping all over the orginals. no thanks.

it'd be nice to have winston and giger, but i don't see why they would be needed really, to where the will be worse.

i don't know if i like the plot that much, i often have a soft spot for plotlines that explain something we don't fully know or understand, like why many "primative" could make pyramids or that so many different ones did.

the baffling part is why they didn't just adapt a darkhorse plotline...?
Old 10-30-03, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Venom
the baffling part is why they didn't just adapt a darkhorse plotline...?
That's a couple more writers to credit and pay, I suppose.
Old 10-30-03, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Something like the novels wouldn't have been such a bad idea, either. Especially the first, which is loosely based on the comics (right?). That's the only reason I'm really disappointed.

This is confusing. We have like three AvP threads going at once.
Old 10-30-03, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Corvin
This is confusing. We have like three AvP threads going at once.
Yeah...

QUICK...someone start a "One And Only AvP" thread...
Old 10-30-03, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Rogue588
Yeah...

QUICK...someone start a "One And Only AvP" thread...
I reported them all earlier, asking for a merge. What I wonder is this - if ther's three threads going on now, what'll it be like when the film actualy comes out?

Brace yourself for the "it rules!", "it sucks!", "The audience was so bad when I went to see it", "what'll be on the DVD", "what would you have done different if you directed it", and "any news of a sequel to it" threads...
Old 10-30-03, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Well it is one of those big events that have been coming for some time now.. though reading this in another forum, it makes me wonder if this is really how it went down at the studio offices:

Paul W.S. Anderson: and get this... Predators were worshiped... by ancient people. They built the pyramids!
20th Century Fox: Hmm, original. I'm listening...
Paul W.S. Anderson: Our new Predator is in-your-face. It uses throwing stars, and we've made them teenagers to appeal to that segment.
20th Century Fox: SOLD!
Old 10-30-03, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well it is one of those big events that have been coming for some time now.. though reading this in another forum, it makes me wonder if this is really how it went down at the studio offices:

Paul W.S. Anderson: and get this... Predators were worshiped... by ancient people. They built the pyramids!
20th Century Fox: Hmm, original. I'm listening...
Paul W.S. Anderson: Our new Predator is in-your-face. It uses throwing stars, and we've made them teenagers to appeal to that segment.
20th Century Fox: SOLD!
... and his sidekick is a talking pie.
Old 10-30-03, 05:32 PM
Retired

Doesn't look promising.

As for Anderson, I thought Event Horizon was ok, but Mortal Kombat and Resident Evil were pretty crappy IMO. I never bothered watching Soldier.
Old 10-30-03, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

These are the two teaser posters:

Old 10-30-03, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

As much as I hate the story so far a few days into actual filming, I'm going to get the posters next week.
Old 10-30-03, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
You know my feelings:

No Stan Winston
No Giger
No Marines

Nonesense plot ( aliens on earth, predators our god.. why the hell would they find game in hunting people they already enslaved once?)
Script from the guy who brought us SHAFT
Paul Anderson

= not a good sign, but of course I'll buy the posters.
It could be decent if they actually used the plot from the arcade game -- swords vs. aliens, multiple predator types, etc. Entertaining to say the least. Otherwise, I'd go like you say -- some other planet (preferably jungle) like the comic books -- marines chasing a predator ship and find the aliens already there -- whatever..... the comics did have plenty of good ideas.
Old 10-30-03, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm with the minority that feels Paul Anderson could possibly do a good job with this. I enjoyed Resident Evil and Mortal Kombat quite a bit and i think he can make this work. Could there be a better director? Sure, but i'll wait until we see more from this project before just tossing it in the trash.
Old 10-30-03, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
I smell lawsuit...

from the Association of Volleyball Professionals.
Old 10-31-03, 12:49 AM
Suspended

I actually thought Resident Evil was pretty good... so I'm not gonna knock this one till I see it But I can't help but feel this only got the greenlight because Freddy vs Jason didn't do as bad as predicted... I guess next we'll have Rocky vs Karate Kid

And they're prolly just using Antartica so they can use The Thing in the sequel.
Old 10-31-03, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

To think that Fox decided to pursue AvP instead of a fifth Alien film with Scott or Cameron involvement is baffling to me... I mean, who keeps giving Paul Anderson money to make films (if we can call them that...) I mean... this guy's resume is nothing but shite... Soldier, Event Horizon... and now he's going to ruin Alien Vs. Predator... (I'm convinced the suits are mixing him up with PT Anderson or maybe Wes Anderson... thinking they're getting a real filmmaker)

The plot sounds laughable at best and that featurette really doesn't make it look any better than I've heard... I'll still be there on opening day, but I certainly am not expecting a lot... goddamn it.

MATT

Last edited by mdc3000; 10-31-03 at 12:58 AM.
Old 10-31-03, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I sure hope someone gives anderson Robocop vs. Terminator after he's done destroying these two franchises.
Old 10-31-03, 03:23 AM

Originally posted by necros
But I can't help but feel this only got the greenlight because Freddy vs Jason didn't do as bad as predicted...
i'm pretty sure freddy -vs- jason did what any studio would call a tremendous success, not just a film that "didn't do as bad as predicted."

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.