Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

6 year olds banned after 6pm

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

6 year olds banned after 6pm

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-03, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Instead of age limits, they should kick out people who are distruptive.

I went to see a movie (Pirates) where the teens behind me were making all kinds of noise... Yelling at each other, cursing (F this, F that), talking on their cell phones (yes they were making calls during the movie).

So, before the movie when they were cussing at each other, I turned around and asked if they could stop because there were kids present. This teen girl tells me, "So what, there will be cursing in the movie.. it's PG-13" -- umm.. As far as I know there wasn't any cursing in Pirates, but if there was, it was no where near what these kids behind me were doing...

About halfway through the movie the girl started flicking soda on me with her straw. So, instead of causing a scene, I got up and told the manager.

Guess what he did? He went in and asked them to stop! Wow... They basically physically assaulted me and only got a warning. They should have been thrown out.
Old 10-22-03, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally posted by DodgingCars
Instead of age limits, they should kick out people who are distruptive.

That would make sense but I don't see some 17 year old making minimum wage dealing with disruptive people. Therefore, give me the age limits.
Old 10-22-03, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by DodgingCars
About halfway through the movie the girl started flicking soda on me with her straw.... They basically physically assaulted me and only got a warning.
Haha, while it sucks that you got pop on your neck, it is a far cry from physical assault.

But I feel your pain none-the-less.
Old 10-22-03, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
If there are age limits, then it should work both ways and remove people over 60
Old 06-23-12, 02:40 PM

Re: 6 year olds banned after 6pm

I'm astonished by how many adults are putting the blame on young children, and teenagers. For one, it is not the young children's fault for being at that cinema, it is their parents. As for I am pretty sure a Six year old did not request going to a R rated movie to begin with. As for the discrimination towards teenagers, not all are loud and dis-respectful. We want to enjoy our movie as well. It's not just placed on a specific age group, it could be any person of any age. I believe this is good for the younger children, for they shouldn't be seeing something that could give them nightmares, or teach them to learn inappropriate behavior, but I do disagree with any one under Seventeen, I do believe to be a bit strange. An adult can be just as annoying in a cinema as a teenager. It depends on the person, not their age.
Old 06-23-12, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I was getting ready to post the same thing. No one under 21 after 8 pm would be nice.
I've run into quite a few folks who are over 21 who act like they are 6 years old in the theater.

They should just enforce Cattle Prod to anyone who talks/makes stupid jokes during a film.
Old 06-23-12, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Anyone who was six when this thread was written is now a teenager, so there's that.
Old 06-23-12, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Always love when new members bump a 7+ year old thread.

Interesting response I had back then. I still stand by it. I now have a 5 & 7 year old. They don't belong in any R rated movie, but they know how to act in a theater and don't utter a word once it starts.
Old 06-23-12, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I realize that this is an older thread but I have much less of a problem with 6 year olds than I do 13 - 18 year olds who go to the movies just to dick around than actually enjoy the film.
Old 06-23-12, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Casaysay just came of age ... congratulations on your first post! You've been dying to do that since they kicked out of that movie back in 2003, haven't you?
Old 06-23-12, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

How about no one under the age of 6 for any midnight showing
Old 06-23-12, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

So how do they know if the kid is 6 or older - do they card them?
Old 06-24-12, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL at the thread bump. I totally forgot I had started it.
Old 06-24-12, 12:17 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Some of these old posts are cryptic. WTF is a "pager"?
Old 06-24-12, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Casaysay
I'm astonished by how many adults are putting the blame on young children, and teenagers. For one, it is not the young children's fault for being at that cinema, it is their parents. As for I am pretty sure a Six year old did not request going to a R rated movie to begin with. As for the discrimination towards teenagers, not all are loud and dis-respectful. We want to enjoy our movie as well. It's not just placed on a specific age group, it could be any person of any age. I believe this is good for the younger children, for they shouldn't be seeing something that could give them nightmares, or teach them to learn inappropriate behavior, but I do disagree with any one under Seventeen, I do believe to be a bit strange. An adult can be just as annoying in a cinema as a teenager. It depends on the person, not their age.
At least with adults there is always the option to punch them in the face. With children, not so much. At least not with so many witnesses around.
Old 06-24-12, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Interesting response I had back then. I still stand by it. I now have a 5 & 7 year old. They don't belong in any R rated movie, but they know how to act in a theater and don't utter a word once it starts.
No offense, but that's a typical parent response. "Not MY kids!"
Old 06-24-12, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Doesn't mean it's not a valid response. I can truthfully state that my kids were very well behaved not only at movies but in general. Not only can I say it from personal observations but I've had other parents tell me the same thing. They always askes us "What's your secret?"
Old 06-24-12, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

how is that a typical parent response? maybe his kids are well behaved. i have a near 3 year old boy. we've seen 2 movies in the theaters. Cars 2 and Madagascar 3. He has a hard time sitting still and being quiet because he's not even 3 yet. I won't ever take him to a non-kid movie until he learns how to behave in one.
Old 06-24-12, 10:18 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, my parents weren't movie nuts like we are but when we went it was kind of a big family event type of thing for my sis and I. It usually meant it was going to be a fun day doing stuff. Anyway...we knew when to shut the fuck up. My mom would tell my sis and I were we to get a little too close to being annoying, "If you want to yell and scream do it at home. Don't be rude. Otherwise we'll yell and scream at you." Which was enough for me and my sis to hush. That and...well...we didn't want to be hit by my father's belt on our bums.

overall now that I think of it...I was probably spanked less than 20 (maybe 15) times in my 13 years that my father was still around. We were pretty good. Only issue was me and my sis just didn't get along for some reason. We're cool now though, oddly enough.
Old 06-24-12, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

We saw Madagascar 3 last weekend and they didn't budge the entire time and didn't whisper a peep. How is that a typical response?

I think assuming every kid is hellspawn and their parents don't know how to teach them manners in theaters is the typical response.
Old 06-24-12, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There was a point where I almost gave up going to movies because I was just getting too annoyed by audience behavior from all age groups. Now, unless it's a major midnight showing, I just go at off-times or wait until the movie has been out a few weeks. I haven't had issues in years, but I also don't go to as many films as I used to because it can be a pricey evening or afternoon.
Old 06-25-12, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

[Newt]They mostly come out at night....mostly.[/Newt]
Old 06-25-12, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Doesn't mean it's not a valid response. I can truthfully state that my kids were very well behaved not only at movies but in general. Not only can I say it from personal observations but I've had other parents tell me the same thing. They always askes us "What's your secret?"
Are you ever tempted to answer, "Why, our secret is relentless beatings behind closed doors"?
Old 06-25-12, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

That's why I never see animated films at the theater. The last animated feature I saw in theaters was The Incredibles right before it left theaters. I hate kids and anyone in general that can't keep their mouth shut during a show. Going to reserved seating shows helps a lot, because of the premium paid for tickets. People have to keep their mouth shuts, because the rule is enforced. The only nuisance in that instance is an occasional cell phone light, but if it's right next to me I usually give the person a dirty look or just straight out tell them to "turn that shit off."
Old 06-25-12, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Are you ever tempted to answer, "Why, our secret is relentless beatings behind closed doors"?
Oh yes. Or look at them blankly and say "Stepford."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.