Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

6 year olds banned after 6pm

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

6 year olds banned after 6pm

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-03, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re: 6 year olds banned after 6pm

Originally posted by ten41
Why are children going to R rated movies?
Because it's cheaper than getting a babysitter for the night.
Old 10-21-03, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Spooky
Yeah, do you think when we all get old we'll talk outloud (loudly!) at the screen and yell things to our old friend sitting next to us like:

"WHAT DID HE SAY???"

"HE SAID, 'NO LUKE, I AM YOUR FATHER!"

"OH!"
When I went to 28 Days Later, an old couple freaked out and started babbling like that the first time they saw the protagonist. If you've seen the movie (heck, even the trailer!) you know what I'm talking about.

On topic, this sounds like a great move. Now if we could get theaters to quit allowing teenagers with a signed stub by an "adult" into these movies I'd be even happier.

EDIT: This is my 666th post. Uh Oh!!!

Last edited by DGibFen; 10-21-03 at 06:33 AM.
Old 10-21-03, 08:09 AM

Re: 6 year olds banned after 6pm

Originally posted by resinrats
At my local theater, there is a big sign up that states" "Starting Oct 24, children under 6 will not be allowed into R rated movies after 6pm"

Looks like one theater is taking care of the annoying kids in movies they shouldn't be seeing anyways.
Too bad my local theater didn't enforce this policy (even though the sign was in place) during last week's showing of Kill Bill.
Old 10-21-03, 08:20 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I think I had read somewhere that the AMC theatre chain tried to enforce a 'chid ban' after a certain hour, but some Californian court reversed it, after some (numbskulled) parent thought it was unconstitutional.

I don't know if they still enforce it, but I know the Senator theatre in Baltimore restricts under 5-year olds.
Old 10-21-03, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
All patrons must be 18 years or older or be accompanied by a parent. Children under 6 are not admitted at any time.
This is the reason why the Alamo Draft House is the greatest!! Well, that and the fact that you can order a bucket of beer and some wings and have'em brought to your seat during the movie!!
Old 10-21-03, 09:01 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
While it's great that they don't allow kids, I don't want waiters coming in and out bringing people food either.
Old 10-21-03, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
Well, it's not as bad as you would think. They do'nt really get in the way especially the way the theater is set-up. They basically removed every other row of seats to make room for the table and leave room for your food to be brought out.

They are also excellent at ejecting those that are too loud during the movie!
Old 10-21-03, 12:00 PM

My theater doesnt allow anyone under 17 ever into R rated movies. They do however with adult supervision. I'mm 22 and I still get carded twice to go into an R rated movie, once when purchasing, and again by the usher.

My problem is with adults that dont keep thier mouth shut. During TCM I wanted to lunge behind me and chainsaw this guy who wouldnt shut up. Him and his 'boys' commented on everything that happened! It wrecked the entire movie for me! "oooo sheeeet, dat bich betta run" UGH!
Old 10-21-03, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
It's a good start, but I'd rather have 6 year olds than teens.
This sounds like the punchline to some joke involving Michael Jackson and R. Kelly.
Old 10-21-03, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Children shouldn't be allowed in movie theatres at all... just tie them to a chair in front of some terrible Disney direct to video release for hours on end, and let the adults enjoy the movie !
Old 10-21-03, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 227 Posts
Originally posted by devilshalo
I support enforcing the stupid MPAA ratings codes.

No one under 6 without legal guardian present for PG rated movies.
No one under 13 without a legal guardian present for PG-13 movies.
No one under 17 without legal guardian present for R rated movies.

The fact that parents think movie theaters = day care, and they can just leave a kid there is ****ing annoying.
Under six--no adult would mean abandonment, I would think.

Under 13 for PG 13--not gonna happen. Too many middle school kids (mine included) go to those movies in groups and make up a huge percent of the theater's $. I would support a theater designating certain showings as "accompanied children only" so long as they still had some shows that kids could go to while their parents shopped or saw another movie.

Under 17 for R--I agree. I let my middleschooler go to certain R movies, but not many, and not without me (Matrix yes, KillBill no--there's a pretty wide range of "R").
Old 10-21-03, 06:56 PM

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
I was getting ready to post the same thing. No one under 21 after 8 pm would be nice.
i agree with that policy...

teenagers are just too loud and obnoxious in general...sure there are exceptions...
Old 10-22-03, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Michael Corvin
I was getting ready to post the same thing. No one under 21 after 8 pm would be nice.
Yeah stellar plan there.
This would be great:

"Well I got drafted by the Army and this is my last night before shipping off to Iraq for the next two years. I was gonna take my girl to see Love Actually but since im only 19 we aren't allowed."

I think most of you are blaming teens a little too much here. Last Friday, me and three other friends (all teens! Oh my!) went to go see Kill Bill (second time for me). The only interuption during the entire movie was a 30-something woman who not only got a call in the theatre but took the call and talked for several minutes.
Old 10-22-03, 08:43 AM

Teens are their greatest market anyway on Friday and Saturday nights.. if they enacted a ban like that they'd probably go out of business.

There are bad apples in every bunch. My friend and I as teens saw a movie a week for almost 2 years as teens, and we were polite and friendly and didn't make any noise.

If you want to avoid them see the Saturday matinee at 12:30, only people there are senior citizens who don't own cell phones and aren't very chatty.
Old 10-22-03, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally posted by RyoHazuki7
Yeah stellar plan there.
This would be great:

"Well I got drafted by the Army and this is my last night before shipping off to Iraq for the next two years. I was gonna take my girl to see Love Actually but since im only 19 we aren't allowed."

I think most of you are blaming teens a little too much here. Last Friday, me and three other friends (all teens! Oh my!) went to go see Kill Bill (second time for me). The only interuption during the entire movie was a 30-something woman who not only got a call in the theatre but took the call and talked for several minutes.
If I was 19 and had just been drafted into the army for next two years, I wouldn't spend my last night with my girlfriend in a movie theater.
Old 10-22-03, 09:41 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by RyoHazuki7
I think most of you are blaming teens a little too much here.
Ha! I've seen many, many movies in the theater. And the #1 distraction is chattering teens. Yes, I realize that there are teens that are well-behaved. But the majority of them regard going out to movies as a social event...and one doesn't sit silent and still at a social event.

For the record, here are my top 5 movie distractions:

1. Chattering teens
2. Seat Kickers (comes in all ages and sizes)
3. Cell Phones, Pagers, and other electronic devices
4. People coming in after the movie has started (not to mention their buddies who bellow "Over HERE!")
5. Young children
Old 10-22-03, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Awesome rule! I wish more theaters would do this.
Old 10-22-03, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Groucho

For the record, here are my top 5 movie distractions:

1. Chattering teens
2. Seat Kickers (comes in all ages and sizes)
3. Cell Phones, Pagers, and other electronic devices
4. People coming in after the movie has started (not to mention their buddies who bellow "Over HERE!")
5. Young children
I've got a new one to add... (6) Fingernail clippers... Yesh...

just had this fun experience. I swear the lady must have had ten fingers and toes on each appendage as she manages to trim her VERY THICK SOUNDING NAILS throughout a 2-hour movie...

(Quiet character moment) "CLICK" (me looking around and shaking head at the ongoing disruption...)

Personally I never knew that it could be that loud when you trim your nails... LOL
Old 10-22-03, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How about knife wielding cell phone aE#holes.
Old 10-22-03, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally posted by SmackDaddy
This is the reason why the Alamo Draft House is the greatest!! Well, that and the fact that you can order a bucket of beer and some wings and have'em brought to your seat during the movie!!

Been thinkin' about going there. How's the setup? Do they have stadium seating?
Old 10-22-03, 11:50 AM

Being an 18 year old male I understand but hate get lumped into the category of the annoying kids at the movie theater. I, like you, love the movies and absoutely hate when kids dont just shut up during a movie.
Old 10-22-03, 12:58 PM

I think it's a great idea for theatres to ban small children from R rated movies. I actually think they should be banned from PG-13 movies, too. I am talking about kids 7 & under. As a mother of two small children, I cannot tell you how appalled I am to see parents taking their children to some of these movies. When we went to see TTT, a 1030 showing, this family came in. Mom, Dad, teen and a maybe 4 YO. WTF? It really ruined the movie for me because the whole movie, I am worried about this little girl being scared & having nigtmares. Another instance, Hannibal. Parents brought a 2YO. Need I say more?

If you can't find a sitter, wait for the movie to come out on DVD.
Old 10-22-03, 01:23 PM

But this will so inconvenience people like the woman who brought her 3 year old to the midnight showing of Underworld I went to. Although for the record, he sat dead silent through the entire pic and appeared to be wide awake throughout.
Old 10-22-03, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
saw someone who couldn't be more older then 5 to see freddy vs. jason. amazingly, his parents didn't care about the content since they let him stay throughout the entire movie.
Old 10-22-03, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally posted by Rypro 525
saw someone who couldn't be more older then 5 to see freddy vs. jason. amazingly, his parents didn't care about the content since they let him stay throughout the entire movie.

When I saw T3 (a 4:45 showing) a few months ago, there were dozens of kids that had to be under 10. They were there with a parent (or at least someone of age) but still.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.