Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

QT Talks: Vega Brothers, no. Pulp Fiction 2, maybe.. and more!!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

QT Talks: Vega Brothers, no. Pulp Fiction 2, maybe.. and more!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-04, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Rypro 525
has he ever made a 100% original movie? i doubt it, reservoir dogs borrows alot from Woo, and Goddard,
Has ANYONE made a 100% original movie? I'd say more than likely not. It's rare enough to find someone like Tarantino who makes great films. And even though his films find derivation from others, it seems like 1) his films are much better than the sources he derives from and 2) even though he draws from other inspirations, nonetheless the final products are unique, very much individual projects.
Old 04-24-04, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Rypro 525
has he ever made a 100% original movie? i doubt it, reservoir dogs borrows alot from Woo, and Goddard,
Reservoir Dogs is actually a pretty much direct lift from Ringo Lam's "City on Fire" (Chow Yun-Fat stars). The similarities are ridiculous... but the way QT did the non-synchronous narration was pretty out-there at the time (only film prior to Reservoir Dogs I can think of that used it was The Killing, and that was very much earlier, heh). I thought Pulp Fiction was pretty original though, and both are certainly great great movies IMHO.
Old 04-24-04, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jaeufraser
Has ANYONE made a 100% original movie? I'd say more than likely not. It's rare enough to find someone like Tarantino who makes great films. And even though his films find derivation from others, it seems like 1) his films are much better than the sources he derives from and 2) even though he draws from other inspirations, nonetheless the final products are unique, very much individual projects.
Old 04-25-04, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
Old 04-25-04, 01:10 PM

clues that it would be a prequel.. both men are dead in respected films
Or are they? Quentin could easily come up with an explaination that both Vega brothers somehow survived getting shot.
Old 04-25-04, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
I love Tarantino as well but I think these are bad ideas - I had a feeling he would sooner or later mention something about a sequel to Pulp Fiction and I really don't want him to do it. I say leave it alone, it's a great film and doesn't need a sequel.

As for Inglorious Bastards - I thought this project was trashed as well? And If it's not, please, please, please tell me Adam Sandler still doesn't have the lead role spot.

Old 04-25-04, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Rival11
I love Tarantino as well but I think these are bad ideas - I had a feeling he would sooner or later mention something about a sequel to Pulp Fiction and I really don't want him to do it. I say leave it alone, it's a great film and doesn't need a sequel.

As for Inglorious Bastards - I thought this project was trashed as well? And If it's not, please, please, please tell me Adam Sandler still doesn't have the lead role spot.

I think everyone is using the term "sequel" a little too loosely. I have the feeling that if he does do this movie, it will be similar only in the same ways the Pulp Fiction was similar to Reservoir Dogs. They share characters, and reference each other a bit, but this is only because they both reside in the QT-universe. With both the Vegas it would certainly be more closely related (since it's using actual characters from the other movies, not just references), but as long as it isn't a movie about Wallace torturing Zed, Butch and his girl's trip away, or Sam Jackson's impending Christianity, I don't think it's entirely accurate to call it a sequel.

And yes according to his last few intervews QT has been writing the script for Inglorious Bastards for quite a while (I think somewhere here on DVDTalk I read he had written enough for 3 movies?), and will do it after a quick, more fun movie, or something like that. He is tending to be kind of vague about his next project. I think according to IMDB buzz, Sandler is still going to star...but what do those people know their forum is uncivilized. I thought he was allright in Punch-Drunk Love but in a QT movie? I have my doubts, heh.
Old 04-25-04, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Having Sandler star in a QT movie is just crazy enough to be brilliant. I think it could really work.
Old 04-25-04, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally posted by drjay
Reservoir Dogs is actually a pretty much direct lift from Ringo Lam's "City on Fire" (Chow Yun-Fat stars). The similarities are ridiculous.
I disagree with that view -- I actually saw City on Fire (rented it from NetFlix) and only one scene in it is directly referenced by Reservoir Dogs, and even in that scene, Tarantino's take on it was quite different than the earlier film.
Old 04-26-04, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well in related news apparantly some Brit screenwriter had an idea for a Mr. Pink movie. Link: http://www.moviehole.net/news/3574.html

I don't think this is even a thought in QT's head, so I'm not even considering this, but it's intriguing. If QT was for it, I guess I'd give it a chance, but I think a Vega Bros movie is a better idea, and the last time he should revist old stuff.