Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Problems of being a fanboy: please share experiences of unjust classification

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 10-15-03, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

Inspired in part by my anime thread, which really reminded of how broad one area of film can prove. What's annoying to me is how quick a lot of people group you into a single group despite your tastes. For example, there are people (J6P comes to mind) who would not see anime as their own brand of movies with different themes and moods, but just one genre in particular.
These are the kind of people that if they heard I liked anime would most likely assume that I also liked Star Trek, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, The Matrix, comic books, The X-Files, Buffy, Angel, and all other material commonly associated with the word genre. In reality, every single film can be broken down in and of itself and just because you like one, doesn't mean you like the other.
I remember a couple of years ago I was ticked that Fellowship of the Ring didn't get more Oscar recognition. Several others agreed, but someone felt the need to chime in and say "you were probably ticked when Star Wars lost in '77 weren't you?"
I was kind of taken by that comment. I never said Star Wars deserved best picture, in fact, after viewing Annie Hall, I think the right decision was made. However, because I liked LOTR, they automatically assumed I had a hard-on for SW as well.
Guess what I'm trying to say is, I think it is ridiculous the way people pass judgment on another individual due to their choices of entertainment and preference in one area. If I wear a T-shirt with an anime character on it out some night, everyone will think I'm the guy who won't get laid or have any woman speak with him. They could be wrong, or right, but they have no way of knowing based on their information.

For the record, I only like some Star Trek.
Old 10-15-03, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 142 Likes on 97 Posts
Well I always love it when people assume that fans are guys
Old 10-15-03, 08:29 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Problems of being a fanboy: please share experiences of unjust classification

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
These are the kind of people that if they heard I liked anime would most likely assume that I also liked Star Trek, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, The Matrix, comic books, The X-Files, Buffy, Angel, and all other material commonly associated with the word genre.
Yeah, it happens to me as well, but in a different way. I love Star Wars, Buffy, Angel, and am also a fan of Matrix and X-Files. They know this, and then they're SHOCKED that I just find the Lord of the Rings movies 'not bad'. I'm not nuts about them and don't even know half the character's names, but I like them enough that I own/will buy the Extended Editions. That's not enough, apparently, and my sanity is questioned because I don't automatically consider each movie the best movie of its particular year.
Old 10-16-03, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by lisadoris
Well I always love it when people assume that fans are guys
ditto what she said
Old 10-16-03, 10:26 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dude if you wear a t-shirt with an anime character on it you're just asking to be classified. That's the way it is. And besides those stereotypes you list are all basically true. You didn't deny that you liked Star Wars. I love Star Wars, like the Matrix, like LOTR, absolutely detest anime, hate Buffy & Angel, and liked X-files. But because I'm a film student I automatically love QT and Kevin Smith..WRONG!! I feel your pain.